Oversexualization of females in video games

You don't want to argue 23 pages about boobplate? What are you, a heteronormative bigot?

Nope, not me, I'm a purile adolescent! Imma troll a bunch of people by claiming they say the opposite of what they actually say. All day. Every day. Cuz I got nothing better to do!

;)

• Like 2

Ok, since everyone seems to be arguing about unrealistic boob armors which apparently is a discussion worthy of roughly 10+ threads without people being anywhere near a concensus, I think I have a solution to make everyone happy.

Just remove all armor and depict all characters naked.

• Like 2

Ok, since everyone seems to be arguing about unrealistic boob armors which apparently is a discussion worthy of roughly 10+ threads without people being anywhere near a concensus, I think I have a solution to make everyone happy.

Fine by me! :D

Does this mean I get an extra bludgeoning weapon?

• Like 4

so pretty much here's how i guess it went down:

The original pic goes up with silly out-of-place armor that appears to have been an oversight more than anything else. People point out how silly it is, some cite sexism, which in my opinion is a bit much but whatever. Obsidian says: "oh hey yeah you guys are right it. it is pretty silly, huh?" and changes it so that the breast plate looks like it actually works while still keeping rather large breasts.

People who wouldn't have said anything had the second picture been posted first start yelling loudly that feminists are after their breasts and trying to ruin everybody's fun. They start crying about how you can't tell it's a woman now despite having a distinct hourglass figure. Tensions rise as people start trying to fight invisible enemies such as white knights and feminists swinging into the air saying that it isn't fair that they aren't targeting their fantasies like they were supposed to, thus making it a far bigger issue than it should have ever been.

Meanwhile Obsidian's already made their voice clear that they found the original armor not in line with what they envision for the project.

real talk, mra folks, you guys have actual issues in the real world that you should be rallying for. there will always be games with giant boobies everywhere and one game that won't have them isn't the feminist holocaust. chill

as for "feminists" calling this act super sexist, i'd chill too. it's not that big of a deal and the mistake was acknowledged already.

Edited by henofthewoods
  • Like 8

only when it is not in a state of a whip...

Well if everyone is always naked it shouldn't be that difficult...

Honestly, it makes me feel a bit badly that this line of discussion about phallus bludgeoning is almost (or is) as constructive as the actual topic.

Yes, but I'd advise against using the extra weapon to parry attacks.

Well if everyone is always naked it shouldn't be that difficult...

Honestly, it makes me feel a bit badly that this line of discussion about phallus bludgeoning is almost (or is) as constructive as the actual topic.

Hey, at least it is something creative compared to the topic that's been hammered to death and beyond more than enough...

Need to have Trolls as a playable race so I can regenerate lost appendages. Time to power game this ****!

Hey, at least it is something creative compared to the topic that's been hammered to death and beyond more than enough...

*Second creative thing. UncleBourbon came up with this one eleven pages ago:

I think one of the positive things that could come from these respawning threads would be dialog for a couple of NPCs outside some blacksmith, arguing about having some made-to-order boobplate commissioned. You know, arguing back and forth forever.

*Second creative thing. UncleBourbon came up with this one eleven pages ago:

I think one of the positive things that could come from these respawning threads would be dialog for a couple of NPCs outside some blacksmith, arguing about having some made-to-order boobplate commissioned. You know, arguing back and forth forever.

I would not mind this as an easter egg ;)

• Like 1

Here's an idea I can get behind.

Need to have Trolls as a playable race so I can regenerate lost appendages. Time to power game this ****!

Or you simply don't parry, I think sneak attacks will be far more appropriate.

I'd rather a white knight than a mysogynerd ****tard any day of the week.

But then I'm only a woman who has donated to this kickstarter I mean what does my opinion matter right? If the majority of the demographic is white that means racism is allowed since sexism is okay when the majority are men. /sarcasm

I don't want my female playable characters to look like strippers just as I'm sure you don't want your male playable characters to look like Edward from Twilight. I don't see why it's such an imposition. I mean you aren't going to die if a woman doesn't flash some boob at you every five minutes.

Any other women want to be immature and overreact?
  • Like 1

But then I'm only a woman who has donated to this kickstarter I mean what does my opinion matter right? If the majority of the demographic is white that means racism is allowed since sexism is okay when the majority are men. /sarcasm

I don't want my female playable characters to look like strippers just as I'm sure you don't want your male playable characters to look like Edward from Twilight. I don't see why it's such an imposition. I mean you aren't going to die if a woman doesn't flash some boob at you every five minutes.

It is not immature of a woman to overreact its just womanly, the sooner you accept it and learn to just nod your head and say yes the more peace you will have in your life.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Men and women both are naturally inclined to overreact violently. How they tend to overreact, however, is very different and tends to both scare and bewilder the opposite sex. For some, this bewilderment leads to bitter resentment and insecurity. I feel like these threads have the right amount of gender-based tension that it's bringing out these negative feelings.

Maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea, but I get the idea that there is a male majority here and it looks like the vast majority of the overreacting has come from men.

D6dXl.jpg

• Like 4

It is not immature of a woman to overreact its just womanly, the sooner you accept it and learn to just nod your head and say yes the more peace you will have in your life.

Luxury of the internet. I never have to see and deal with the woman. :D

The first time I played Baldurs Gate(II) I didn't realize that my PC was running around in a thong. I thought she had pink legs to show that she was a girl. It wasn't until I put that armour on Anomen that I wondered why his legs were shiny instead of blue (what! I was still learning stuff!). So I played switch the armour. On my pc, both armours had pink legs. On Anomen, he had shiny legs.... Facepalm. I thought it all terribly funny, and kept on playing, I didn't worry about it until I hit the desert in ToB. All that sand bothered me. ^^

This is what I don't want to see in PE - "stupid armour" for one gender. It would be so easy to avoid...

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Men and women both are naturally inclined to overreact violently. How they tend to overreact, however, is very different and tends to both scare and bewilder the opposite sex. For some, this bewilderment leads to bitter resentment and insecurity. I feel like these threads have the right amount of gender-based tension that it's bringing out these negative feelings.

Maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea, but I get the idea that there is a male majority here and it looks like the vast majority of the overreacting has come from men.

This has pretty much been my experience of most gaming forums for the past 15+ years. I definitely don't think it's that men over-react more, only that there are more males on gaming forums. Which is why I tend to give my opinion (if I have one to say) and then leave the topic. 9 times out of 10 it feels like a waste of my time to do any more than that. Not that I didn't spend early years on the internet doing it anyway. But after a while, for me, there's just all kinds of other stuff that I'd rather spend my time doing. ;)

And to restate my record: I don't mind sexy armor being in the game (male or female). I just want variety. I don't always want to feel like my character/s are ready to go for a romp at the beach, or to be wearing fur bikini's in the snow. There needs to be plenty of options, that's all.

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I would not mind this as an easter egg ;)

Debating the merits of hiding weapons in their plate mail jubblies, no doubt.

fembot1.jpg

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Wow. So if a woman reacts badly to the representation of her own sex in a game and to the male gamers who want it like that, it's immature overreaction according to a male.

That's so facepalmingly stupid on so many levels....

how_it_works.png

• Like 4

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)