Oversexualization of females in video games

The White Knight Brigade should be purged, root and branch, from the forums.

The turgid female feminists I get, if you're a frump/fattie it offends the hamster seeing competing female beauty around you since it reminds you of your inability to stop shoveling crap in your face. Hence, male sexuality must be shamed into liking something approximating your current looks.

Yeah, get back to me on how that'll work.

• Like 1

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

Except "this type of armor" is vastly inferior, as has been stated multiple times. Additionally, the graphical differences between BG1 and PE are likely to be vast - and to be honest, no, I can't tell when characters in BG1 are wearing boobplates, and if they are, then if I noticed it would bug to me an extent - it is simply unrealistic that women would wear such vastly inferior equipment. The graphical quality of sprites is not necessarily equal amongst all Infinity Engine games. Also, enjoying a game that might have boobplates is different from not enjoying boobplates in a game I otherwise enjoy. If PE has boobplates, will I immediately demand a refund and quit playing to protest? No. Indeed, it probably wouldn't bother me much. But people positing that armor with significant, detremental defects is just as good as logically effective armor peeves me a bit - so does being considered a "white knight" for saying this, and people positing both including it is sexist in that it sexualizes women, and others claiming that removing it is sexist.

So you are okay with everything else in a fantasy game that breaks immersion, but boob plates, of all things, cross the line? Realistically metal armor in general is an awful idea in a world where fireballs are commonplace; thermal conduction being what it is and all that.

Oh and saying you can't tell the sprites are wearing boob plates is just a lie (unless your eyesight really is the worst in the world, then my bad).

• Like 1

The turgid female feminists I get, if you're a frump/fattie it offends the hamster seeing competing female beauty around you since it reminds you of your inability to stop shoveling crap in your face. Hence, male sexuality must be shamed into liking something approximating your current looks.

And this, ladies and gentlemen is a clear example of "TL:DR I'll just post some random trolling"

• Like 3

Just as a side note-and I'm actually serious about this, there are some women with.......ample enough,erm builds that if you did not take some allowences for when crafting anything they are wearing movement would become somewhat hindered. And probably would be unconfortable as hell.

Also, was it the Roman/Greeks who used to craft breast plates with rock hard abes and squared off pecks hammered into them? Did that add any real practicle/defensive value other then adding additional curved surfaces? How different or comparible is that to boobplate/mail? Was that for decorative armor only? (I actually do not know the answer to that)

• Like 1

And this, ladies and gentlemen is a clear example of "TL:DR I'll just post some random trolling"

Eh, this topic was stale and boring before Baldur's Gate II came out. Now it's a bleeding, cancerous sore on the anus of EVERY RPG forum in existence.

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

Just as a side note-and I'm actually serious about this, there are some women with.......ample enough,erm builds that if you did not take some allowences for when crafting anything they are wearing movement would become somewhat hindered. And probably would be unconfortable as hell.

Also, was it the Roman/Greeks who used to craft breast plates with rock hard abes and squared off pecks hammered into them? Did that add any real practicle/defensive value other then adding additional curved surfaces? How different or comparible is that to boobplate/mail? Was that for decorative armor only? (I actually do not know the answer to that)

Yes, that was only ceremonial dress armour.

Besides, we all know what happened Roman empire coz of their "esthetics".

(a *burn!*)

:grin:

Edited by kabaliero

(a *burn!*)

It split into two with the Byzantines spreading Christianity and therefore they are indirectly responsible for this thread?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The normal Legionnaire Armor should have been something like this

soldier_cuirass.jpg

• Like 1

Except "this type of armor" is vastly inferior, as has been stated multiple times. Additionally, the graphical differences between BG1 and PE are likely to be vast - and to be honest, no, I can't tell when characters in BG1 are wearing boobplates, and if they are, then if I noticed it would bug to me an extent - it is simply unrealistic that women would wear such vastly inferior equipment. The graphical quality of sprites is not necessarily equal amongst all Infinity Engine games. Also, enjoying a game that might have boobplates is different from not enjoying boobplates in a game I otherwise enjoy. If PE has boobplates, will I immediately demand a refund and quit playing to protest? No. Indeed, it probably wouldn't bother me much. But people positing that armor with significant, detremental defects is just as good as logically effective armor peeves me a bit - so does being considered a "white knight" for saying this, and people positing both including it is sexist in that it sexualizes women, and others claiming that removing it is sexist.

So you are okay with everything else in a fantasy game that breaks immersion, but boob plates, of all things, cross the line? Realistically metal armor in general is an awful idea in a world where fireballs are commonplace; thermal conduction being what it is and all that.

Oh and saying you can't tell the sprites are wearing boob plates is just a lie (unless your eyesight really is the worst in the world, then my bad).

I don't recall ever claiming it was the only thing that hurt my immersion, nor did I say it would stop me from enjoying a game. But as it is, it is something I am against having in the game, and as a concept I know it makes a worse piece of armor for it. People arguing it is somehow sexit to force female characters to wear 'male" armor and/or that it is "feminist" and "meant to supress the sexiness/beasuty of the female form" irk me, because it is simply poor design of armor. Sure, for a rogue depending on wits and speed, it makes sense ot have minimal coverage, if that is his/her thing. Likewise, a fighter or ranger donning leather armor, or armored robed might opt to leave some skin. The same for magic users. But for a character portrayed as donning the heavy, full-coverage armor for safety's sake should be represented as such, in my mind.

To the latter case: I never noticed boob plates in BG1 or 2. Maybe I just didn't look closely enough at the small female sprites, or more likely I rarely had any female characters wearing heavy armor. Portraits are another matter entirely.

• Like 1

(a *burn!*)

They became a superpower for centuries?

No, actually, in the end, they were had by some half-naked barbarians, so i guess the bikini thing looks totally lagit from there.

It split into two with the Byzantines spreading Christianity and therefore they are indirectly responsible for this thread?

That's... disputable.

(a *burn!*)

They became a superpower for centuries?

No, actually, in the end, they were had by some half-naked barbarians, so i guess the bikini thing looks totally lagit from there.

That's... disputable.

The goths were not half naked.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Anyway, I can't believe no one still posted this.

Oversexualization... ?

This is...

GENDER EQUALITY!

300-movie03.jpg

It's totally the cape that makes the difference.

EDIT: btw, why the hell do they have helms? I don't get it.

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 2

The Barbarians had lived and served with an trained with the Romans for centuries. The line between Barbarian and Roman was pretty blurry by the end. Indeed if it were not for the confounding and very un-Roman-like bigotry of the Italians that line would have disappeared altogether. The half-naked guys had never done that well against the Romans.

Though frankly (lol) even in their decadence the Roman Army very rarely lost.

The Barbarians had lived and served with an trained with the Romans for centuries. The line between Barbarian and Roman was pretty blurry by the end. Indeed if it were not for the confounding and very un-Roman-like bigotry of the Italians that line would have disappeared altogether. The half-naked guys had never done that well against the Romans.

Though frankly (lol) even in their decadence the Roman Army very rarely lost.

I don't understand if I need to feel offended or not. I just don't get the sense of the sentence :unsure:

Haha. Well sure, If you have a Conan-style man, throw in a Conan-style woman. Ie buff and naked, not Barbie and naked.

À la Justin Sweet.

iwd2_0107d04.jpg

• Like 3

Haha. Well sure, If you have a Conan-style man, throw in a Conan-style woman. Ie buff and naked, not Barbie and naked.

À la Justin Sweet.

iwd2_0107d04.jpg

Dude, that's a half-orc.

Orcs have a.. special way of makin' armour.

You know their famous Orcish Chain Mail.

2 rings: 1 in the front + 1 on the back.

I also was kiddin'.

Edited by kabaliero

Ah, did some looking up when I got home. It was the Greeks, not Romans for the most part. I guess they were refered to as a "Muscled Cuirass" or some such. It was NOT purely ceremonial, but was probably more of a 'high end' armor probably not as common among regular troops. Also today's reproductions have the muscular somewhat exagurated compared to what was the norm.

So, I ask-if there is historical precedent for accentuating male anotomy for purpose use armor construction (some of the examples I saw even had psuedo nipples on them), why is it an automatic freak out over armor that accentuates a females anatomy?

(Edit: I also found that the musculature on the amor actually did not line up with the wearer's actual anatomy-so accentuate is probably the wrong dicriptor)

Edited by Streamlock