Oversexualization of females in video games

http://www.collegehu...m/picture/54286

King Henry VIII was a "great" man :phttp://oxthep.../img.../img_1446ed.jpg and an interesting read:http://suite1...le-ages-a321942

Maybe I'm a little off-topic now...

Edited by Forlorn Hope
  • Like 1

"Maybe your grandiose vocabulary is a pathetic compensation for an insufficiency in the nether regions of your anatomy."

Hey guys, I hear 70 year old members of monastic traditions aren't all built like Bruce Lee and spend their time stripped half naked and flexing their muscles. Where do I sign up to rage?

Yes indeed, there is no sexism when games depict half naked 70 years old Bruce Lee. What was your point?

Bwahahaahaahahaaaaaa

* Twirls moustache *

Srsly leave it and don't troll. It confines these type of discussions in one easy to manage thread. It seems that folks will happily fight the kulturkampf over this all day.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Now, how much do we need to troll in order to close it down?

I hate how this is the stated intent of quite some amount of trolls. Trolling threads in order to get them closed should be a bannable offense.

The grouping together of different sorts of people is also crazy.

All I want is female armour which I won't have to laugh at, and female character models which reveals some knowledge of basic anatomy. This is (to varying degrees) a problem in so many games which would be SO EASY to correct. This was handled quite well in Arcanum and also in ToEE if I remember right. I care NOTHING for political correctness, and I especially don't want any romance in the game.

The pubescent basement dwellers who want this to be some hentai cartoon with silly, skimpy armor and fantastical body proportions can go play that kind of games instead. Give us real women and realistic armour, please.

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I hate how this is the stated intent of quite some amount of trolls. Trolling threads in order to get them closed should be a bannable offense.

All I want is female armour which I won't have to laugh at, and female character models which reveals some knowledge of basic anatomy. This is (to varying degrees) a problem in so many games which would be SO EASY to correct. This was handled quite well in Arcanum and also in ToEE if I remember right. I care NOTHING for political correctness, and I especially don't want any romance in the game.

The pubescent basement dwellers who want this to be some hentai cartoon with silly, skimpy armor and fantastical body proportions can go play that kind of games instead. Give us real women and realistic armour, please.

No, you see, we are way past that argument.

We are trying to understand if the rapid respawn of this kind of topics is a troll attempt by a real "WhiteKnight" faction, or the "Anti-WhiteKnight" faction.

In either case, everyone that is taking seriously the matter has exposed his/her position like 10 times already and the subject has become stale.

So the only reasonable thing is to derail the topic to try and stop the generalized "WhiteKnight" vs "Anti-WhiteKnight" trolling that would otherwise end in a "you are all uber feminist. stop removing boobs from my games"

Edited by DocDoomII
  • Like 2

It's funny how controversial this subject seems to be to some people.

I'm one of the people who are very tired of the oversexualization of women in video games, because it usualy makes little sense. It is very one dimensional. Unimaginative etc. It is fine for sexy characters. For example succubi or prostitutes. But as default, no thank you.

Personally, I want diversity. Both it appearance and personality. I want beautiful, pretty, plain, ugly and hideous characters of both genders. Having plain looking people will also enhance the beautiful as well as the ugly. Which is awesome in my opinion.

So there, that's my 2 cents. No politics needed.

One post and this is posted? Another forum sock puppet.

So the only reasonable thing is to derail the topic

The reasonable thing to do is to ignore the thread if it bothers you so much.

Other people do want to discuss it.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Nobody cares about that. The problem is, the topic keeps popping up.

Edited by kenup

Tale I would gladly discuss it normally, if it didn't end all the time with a "stop being bigot, I want boobs in my games"

• Like 1

It's going to be a long year.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's going to be a long year.

But it could be a very good year!

OBTopic - personally I think the NPCs should be designed to look like they should look for what the game/setting/lore supports. I'm for the PC to have options, however I think with limited time / budget the best options to focus on are the realistic ones.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You CAN'T ignore it, it is top of the forum page EVERY-SINGLE-DAY and the VERY TITLE is a political advertising stance to one groups view. It is obviously being created by a group who are using sock puppet techniques which is TROLLING by any other definition. This is only distracting and preventing actual game improvement/idea discussion and DIVIDING the community. Also, EVERYTHING HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID. What possible new thing can be said? What? Can anybody name me a single new thing that has not been covered a bazillion times already?

Here, let me summarize every single thread

- boobarmour is stupid

- no its not

- yes it is, its unrealistic

- its a fictional universe, and women Armour never existed so how do you know its unrealistic

- it is oversexualizing the female form, games made primarily for men should not discriminate and be open for women

- 0_o wait, what? what is wrong with having attractive women in a game, many of us liked it and the game is being made for the old school group which will be the vast majority male.

- you sexist misogynist pig!

- you sad pathetic white knight princess saving troll!

- then it really goes down hill from there till the thread closes. Then ANOTHER thread pops up continuing this one particular groups view point. Like I said, this is not about game design or improving the game, this is about shoving a political agenda in peoples throats. I am saddened the mods seem fine letting one political view dominate the forum.

If people want to discuss it, there is an Way off topic forum for it.

Edited by Badmojo
  • Like 2

You see what you want to see.

Want realism ? Then all physical classes would basicly use same models for female and male armor with just different faces, i think devs would like that too as it would be fewer models to make. Only for mental classes female features are not in the way when fighting (not as much at least) so those could be more "female".

I just question one's sanity when asking for realism in fantasy ...

I dont think there is any rpg with oversexualisation and looking at Obsidian history it wont be problem here. They will aim for what pleases general public most and i belive bulges in heavy armor are overally accepted even when they make no sense both from body build perspective and fact that plate armor was never tight fit. Extremes can hopefully use mods to suit game to their taste.

Apart from the troll discussion ("you're the troll, no you, no I am, let's be trolls, ow what a troll, did you smell that ? that's a..."), maybewe could... what about we talk about feminine outfits in P:E? I still have no answer about the chest protection for an archer. A detail that makes all the difference, I'd say.

(Badmojo, everything will be alright. Think of your blood pressure)

Edited by Margaretha

In P:E, if I go to a "pleasure house", I want female npcs there to look like prostitutes and be sexy because it makes sense.

If I go and fight a group of mercenaries, i want female mercenary enemies to look like fighters. That's what I expect to see in P:E.

this female viking

Edited by Hellfell
  • Like 2

Only boring people get bored

No, you see, we are way past that argument.

We are trying to understand if the rapid respawn of this kind of topics is a troll attempt by a real "WhiteKnight" faction, or the "Anti-WhiteKnight" faction.

In either case, everyone that is taking seriously the matter has exposed his/her position like 10 times already and the subject has become stale.

So the only reasonable thing is to derail the topic to try and stop the generalized "WhiteKnight" vs "Anti-WhiteKnight" trolling that would otherwise end in a "you are all uber feminist. stop removing boobs from my games"

I haven't seen a single person write that they don't want to see nudity in the game. On the other hand, lots of people think that when nudity occurs, it's often unrealistic and fan service to male gamers (which it often is, duh). I'd rather not see any fan service at all to any gender or sexual orientation, or any (partial) nudity which is there only for the sake of it. I honesly can't think of many places nudity (since this is NOT a voyeur simulator) would really be fitting in a serious RPG but I will try to come up with a few:

• Naked victims of a massacre/murder/genocide (maybe they were raped, or stripped of their clothes for humiliation)
  • Naked tribesmen of a primitive civilization
  • "Naked" magical creatures, such as demons, fey, et.c.

Other than these, I've really hard to see where nudity would fit in any sensible way...

• Like 2

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

You see what you want to see.

Want realism ? Then all physical classes would basicly use same models for female and male armor with just different faces, i think devs would like that too as it would be fewer models to make. Only for mental classes female features are not in the way when fighting (not as much at least) so those could be more "female".

I just question one's sanity when asking for realism in fantasy ...

I dont think there is any rpg with oversexualisation and looking at Obsidian history it wont be problem here. They will aim for what pleases general public most and i belive bulges in heavy armor are overally accepted even when they make no sense both from body build perspective and fact that plate armor was never tight fit. Extremes can hopefully use mods to suit game to their taste.

This "You want realism in a fantasy?! LOLOL!!" argument is really dumb and tiresome. People, or at least I, don't want realism, they want internal consistency. If you can't tell the difference between those, go read a dictionary.

And yes, exactly, all classes and genders should use similar armor models. Why would it be any different? Plenty of games have that, from BG to Skyrim.

Edited by ImRhoven
  • Like 1