Oversexualization of females in video games

Greetings.

I would like to touch this issue because a lot of modern video games tend to oversexualize female characters. Iron bikinis and latex-like outfits don't really enhance the gaming experience in any possible way. Also, it is embarrassing to kill female enemies that are overly exposed (forsworn half naked bandits in skyrim for example). Finally, it can be weird from a setting standpoint.

Female enemies should absolutely be present alongside female companions, but the visual presentation of both types has to make sense in the world and in the lore.

I just hope that obsidian will find a fine balance regarding female characters.

• Like 4

Only boring people get bored

Dude, really? There are several threads on this already and all arguments and all sides have been hashed out. :p

Of interest:

http://forums.obsidi...nism-etc-in-pe/

http://forums.obsidi...ropes-vs-women/

http://forums.obsidi...with-shirts-on/

Related:

http://forums.obsidi...designs-a-plea/

http://forums.obsidi...a-plea-part-ii/

Edit: Oh, you're new. Yeah---search function, highly recommended. ;)

P.S.! Of course I should mention this----Sawyer & Co. are on the right track with that; check out the concept art in the Kickstarter Updates.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 17

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Well if they do have chainmail bikinis, you're going to need a magnifying glass to see them. :cat:

Seriously, I don't think it will be a problem with this game. Many of the core audience are mature adults looking for mature themes.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I believe this is going to be one of those societies where women are not allowed clothing of any kind. Any female seen with clothes is sentenced to be hanged. Naked of course. As far as sex I haven't heard there is going to be any in the game. I certainly hope there won't be.

• Like 2

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I've seen so many of these stupid threads across RPG boards that all i see now is: "gender differences are disgusting...i wish all women looked and acted like men. Also, every character should be a bisexual love interest."

The sad thing is most of these threads are created by guys trying to "protect" women over the internet. Edited by Grimlorn
  • Like 6

Greetings.

I would like to touch this issue because a lot of modern video games tend to oversexualize female characters. Iron bikinis and latex-like outfits don't really enhance the gaming experience in any possible way. Also, it is embarrassing to kill female enemies that are overly exposed (forsworn half naked bandits in skyrim for example). Finally, it can be weird from a setting standpoint.

Female enemies should absolutely be present alongside female companions, but the visual presentation of both types has to make sense in the world and in the lore.

I just hope that obsidian will find a fine balance regarding female characters.

Your "new" and the first thing posted is this? S,cuse me if I am a bit (very)suspiscious that your a fem/white knight troll. These posts have been poping up on every website and whenever it is closed another magically pops up again and again. I believe we have some forum socket puppeting going on. For those of you who do not know what that is, that is one person opening multiple accounts and pretending to be different people to push an agenda.

Wait... women are good for something other than sex?!

Oh, I get it: You want Sagani and Cadegund to cover up when we have company visiting the stronghold? And make themselves useful, like doing the party's laundry and stuff?

:p

I kid, I kid. I agree with your sentiment, but given the released concept art, I suspect that you needn't be concerned about this. Obsidian has already changed Cadegund's original, rather modest boobplate to a more realistic, rounded shape, so the developers are aware of and sensitive to these concerns.

• Like 3

I've seen so many of these stupid threads across RPG boards that all i see now is: "gender differences are disgusting...i wish all women looked and acted like men. Also, every character should be a bisexual love interest."

Ya, I kinda agree with this.

It is kinda strange that a lot of times it's men posting it :blink:

Edited by NoxNoctum
  • Like 1

pix_plz.png
  • Like 8

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

That's because the only thing better for a male gamer than playing a male character having a romance with a female character looking and acting as a male character is when we play a female character looking and acting like a male character and having a romance with another female character looking and acting as a male character. It's just awesome

• Like 1

That's because the only thing better for a male gamer than playing a male character having a romance with a female character looking and acting as a male character is when we play a female character looking and acting like a male character and having a romance with another female character looking and acting as a male character. It's just awesome

That is wrong on so many levels that I lost count.

• Like 4