Planescape: Torment - first playthrough

Farks

Hi guys!

As the title implies, I'm doing my first ever playthrough of Planescape: Torment. In fact, it's my first ever Infinity-engine game. I've been wanting the play those classic titles for a while now, and with Project Eternity on the horizion I figured now would be a good time to do it.

I've already made one attempt, but having little to no experience with these old school RPG's (except for the original Pokémon games for GameBoy Color, which was well over 10 years ago) it didn't go to well. I made it to the catacombs after speaking to Pharod in the burried village before realizing that my build was problary not up to scratch, so I wanna restart and do things right.

1. What is a recommended build for a first time playthrough? I want as much out of the story and dialogue as possible without being totally screwed in combat situations. I understand that you problary can't be great at both (at least not to start with), so I mainly want to focus on high survivabilty and the ability to avoid and talk my way out of combat situations.

2. What class should I go for?

3. Kind of a dumb question, but... how exactly does combat work? The only other D&D based games I've played are KotOR and KotOR II, but this seems rather different. Do I just click on an opponent until he drops dead, or what?

I know what I must sound like asking this stuff. It's just that I didn't get into RPG's until this generation of games, thanks to Oblivion, Fallout 3/New Vegas and Mass Effect. Now I want something deeper, which is what made me seek out these older games.

if you want as much story as possible, then max int, wisdom and charisma, they open a lot more dialogue options. And if you're maxing those stats, you'll have to be a wizard.

Combat works that you select one of your party members, then click on an enemy. That party member will then attack that enemy until it's dead, then you need to chose a new target for it (there is ai that kinda helps with that, but it's a bit meh). So no need to click for every attack or anything like that. You can select multiple party members at once if you want them to attack the same enemy.

Then there's the spells, you typically need to pause the game for those, and then select your spell in the spell menu, and then select a target for it.

• Like 1

Spider and Zoraptor. :Cant's nodding icon:

The one thing I would say is that combat will only be as difficult as you want to make it. I don't think it's all that hard in PS:T ever, but if you find that the combat gets in the way of your enjoyment, just set the difficulty to easy. You don't lose anything in terms of story or dialogue no matter what difficulty you use, as far as I remember, and I've played the game on every difficulty level, gone through every dialogue as best I could, and then downloaded the editor and read the dialogue options I missed in my many many runs.

Every stat can effect dialogue if I remember it right, although the ones spider mentioned are king for getting dialogue options. There are a couple of places where you can visit repeatedly with new party members or after finishing more areas to get additional story. A couple of examples would be the Story-teller (Yves I think) at the brothel and the cursed story-teller in the hive. Those are relatively early examples, so I don't think mentioning them will be too spoilery for you. My favorite is to play either a thief or a mage, but you can actually play every class if you want, and there's good dialogue and good experience either way. Like Zora say, you start as a fighter, but you open up the other two options early.

Don't worry too much about eeking out every experience point during your run. If you're playing for the story and atmosphere, the various side-quests and story lines will bump your experience quite a bit. While I tend to avoid them, you can find a lot of random encounters, especially in the mid-game, so if you want to get a couple of levels later, you can go hunting for some tough but high experience monsters. Really, nothing is all that tough and you shouldn't need to worry about your level at all.

Keep coming back and letting us know how you're enjoying the game. I hope you love it as much as I have over the years, but it's not perfect. It has its flaws like everything else, so I'm curious to hear what you like and dislike most about PS:T. Happy hunting, man!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'd advise not reading a FAQ- too inherently spoilery. Spider's advise for a high Wis/ Int/ Cha build is probably sufficient; I'd just specify that you won't be able to be a wizard from the start in case you think you're missing something.

i'd advise actually opening links that get posted before commenting on them ;). it's simply an overview of the AD&D 2E rules used in CRPG adaptations, including IE games.

WWTNOD?

The worst thing that can happen is, you die. No big deal in this game :p

As mentioned, Wis, Int and Cha needs maxing out. Important hint, multiclassing is different from traditional D&D. You can be one of 3 classes at any given time. To first become a class, you need a "trainer". Once trained, talking to your party member will let you switch class at any time (thief, fighter or mage). Talk to everybody, including random bystanders. Talk to your party members often (especially after gaining levels and adding to Wis, Int and Cha). While combat happens, it is trivial in the big picture of things and serve more to space story elements out a bit, than to prevent you from progressing. Read the dialogue. Read your journal (this one is actually helpful). Play how you like it (good, bad, psychotic, whatever).

\

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd advise not reading a FAQ- too inherently spoilery. Spider's advise for a high Wis/ Int/ Cha build is probably sufficient; I'd just specify that you won't be able to be a wizard from the start in case you think you're missing something.

i'd advise actually opening links that get posted before commenting on them ;). it's simply an overview of the AD&D 2E rules used in CRPG adaptations, including IE games.

Heh, fair enough, it's a fair cop etc.

OTOH of all the 2e games PST probably needs the least explanation since the combat is... inherently more forgiving than something like Baldur's Gate where if the protagonist dies you get an annoying ten second game over cinematic.

Heh, fair enough, it's a fair cop etc.

OTOH of all the 2e games PST probably needs the least explanation since the combat is... inherently more forgiving than something like Baldur's Gate where if the protagonist dies you get an annoying ten second game over cinematic.

Except you can get stuck far easier if you are in the habit of using few saves.

Sometimes failure states make far more sense then leaving player stranded in situations were he has almost no chance to proceed.

Just play the whole game and eventually you'll get that old skool experience crawling under your skind and then you can try to be good, evil and sort of in between to get it all, because it isn't really possible to get it all just by one play through or by doing it right, because that's a question of alignment.. What's right for one aligment could be wrong for another. Playing as a mage too is definitely quite an experience because some of the spells are executed.. erm, totally awesome.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Hi guys!

As the title implies, I'm doing my first ever playthrough of Planescape: Torment. In fact, it's my first ever Infinity-engine game. I've been wanting the play those classic titles for a while now, and with Project Eternity on the horizion I figured now would be a good time to do it.

I envy you. I wish I could go back and play Torment for the first time. You're in for quite the experience.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Hi guys!

I envy you. I wish I could go back and play Torment for the first time. You're in for quite the experience.

i'm going to hell for this, but, have you tried dying and coming back to life without memories of the game? :p (floating, talking skull optional)

• Like 1

WWTNOD?

I'd suggest you install the fan patches. Before doing that, I'd be walking on the Lower Ward at one point, and suddenly I'd be looking at my desktop wallpaper, as the game crashed. I don't know if that was a common problem, but I've installed the patches every time I've played ever since I knew about them.

I guess a mage is a good idea, but if you want

high survivabilty and the ability to avoid and talk my way out of combat situations

that sounds a bit like a thief, to me. :p

My first playthrough (which I only finished a few days ago) involved high intelligence and wisdom with a mage. I really enjoyed playing it, but the end game really kicked me around. Still made it through happily. I think those two stats help with the story and first time through I'm not sure you should be focused on much else.

Not to hijack your thread, but maybe someone could point me towards a very thorough walkthrough so I could pick up some of the dialogue I know I've missed?

Not to hijack your thread, but maybe someone could point me towards a very thorough walkthrough so I could pick up some of the dialogue I know I've missed?

The fan novel may be your best bet for that rather than a faq, mainly because it presents most of the in game dialogue as actual dialogue rather than focussing on quest specific stuff.

Hi guys!

i'm going to hell for this, but, have you tried dying and coming back to life without memories of the game? :p (floating, talking skull optional)

Heh, if I had to go through what the Nameless One had to go through to be able to do that... no thanks, dying once is enough.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

My first playthrough (which I only finished a few days ago) involved high intelligence and wisdom with a mage. I really enjoyed playing it, but the end game really kicked me around. Still made it through happily. I think those two stats help with the story and first time through I'm not sure you should be focused on much else.

Gamebanshees guide/walkthrough was very good. Used it myself and I'm pretty sure I found all interesting dialogue in game:

http://www.gamebansh...nescapetorment/

EDIT: Not good for first playthrough, because this really spoils almost everything.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

There is a sploier controlled walkthrough UHSHints

http://www.uhs-hints...web/torment.php

Not much to add but some minor non spoilerish tips :

- WIS/INT/CHA help a lot in dialogues, but it helps you get stronger too : the majority of the xp you get is from memory coming back. The more you have in your mental attributes, the more xp you get.

- WIS alone gives a boost to your xp earnings.

- you don't have to play directly with high mental stat, but do at least one playthrough with something like 18 WIS and 16 INT from the beginning. It may not be the best choice for your first playthrough since you will uncover most of the dialogues this way. But if you intend to just do one playthrough, well...

- take your time, explore the city and the dialogues

- play the way you want, your alignment won't close any part of the story. Only some items are alignment restricted but you can go without that.

- DON'T TRUST ANYONE, THEY STOLE YOUR NAME. THEY STOLE YOUR FACE. THEY HIDE IN THE SHADOWS WAITING FOR YOU TO DO MISTAKES. BUT YOU KNOW THEY ARE THERE AND YOU WILL KILL THEM ALL. (small joke).

Edited by Orchomene

They should bring back those old-school hintbooks where you had to colour in the blank sections with a magic marker to show the hidden text! :sorcerer:

P.S. Is it the right time to admit I haven't ever finished, or even halfway finished this game?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So, I made it back into the catacombs but I'm still very week. I'm a mage now, trained by Mebbeth, and my only offensive spell (chromatic orb) is currently limited to one use a day, meaning I'm forced to resort to using my fists and getting my ass handed to me by rats as a result. And I can't find anywhere to rest in the area. What should I do?

Man, I haven't felt so bad at a game in a long time. ;_;

honestly when i play torment i just stay a fighter, max wisdom int and charisma and use punch daggers for reliable (though weak) damage while i let dakkon bring the pain

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

dak'kon can re-train you as both a fighter and a mage, so if you have good gear you could just switch back in order to survive, and then just grind xp for mage levels elsewhere (killing abishai in the lower ward, for example).

...and Annah (and her gorgeous tail :wub: ) allows you to change to thief class once learned :)

I usually get some fighter levels first and persuade Porphyron (or whatever he is called, the pacifist follower of Erit-Agge) to help gain proficiency in weapons, like daggers which also benefits me as a mage.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein