Interplay. Kickstarter? It is...a mystery!

Remember this quote about a month back?

“We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter,” Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart revealed in a Q&A on the Project Eternity Kickstarter page. “I said to them ‘So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don’t get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.’ They said, ‘Yes’.”

So there was a lot of speculation on who this mysterious publisher was. Lots of talk about EA, Activision, Bethesda, Take Two. etc.,...

Now what really struck me about that quote was the incompetence behind it. Not on Uncle Feargus' part. But from this alleged publisher. Can't be any of the big players. For all their faults, none of them would steep this low, and would be so delusional, so clueless. So who could it be? My first obvious guess was...Interplay!

Afterall, they are barely hanging on by a thread. They have tendencies of incompetence. They are trying to hold on to their past legacies. They are run by Herve Caen. They are attempting to bring back Black Isle Studios.

So I checked them out. Lo and behold: http://interplay.com/games/battlechess.php

The smoking gun: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1354795482/battle-chess?ref=live

You see...this makes sense from them. In fact, it's a SLAM DUNK. They want to bring back Black Isle. What bigger PR impact can they have then to say they are collaborating with the folks who were the former Black Isle? Have Obsidian run a Kickstarter campaign, and we'll take in the profits, IP, and publish the game, with little or no cost to -ourselves since it will be crowd funded. A win-win SLAM DUNK!

Quote from Interplay's website: What do Bioware, Blizzard, High Voltage, Planet Moon, Shiny, Snowblind, Treyarch and Volition have in common? They were all once published by Interplay!

If you have developed a game, Interplay is interested in becoming your publisher. Click here for submission details.

http://interplay.com/games/submission.php

Lolz.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Now what really struck me about that quote was the incompetence behind it. Not on Uncle Feargus' part. But from this alleged publisher. Can't be any of the big players. For all their faults, none of them would steep this low, and would be so delusional, so clueless.

You are right, they would steep lower.

Though your Idea is fun as well, and I don't have much trust in current Interplay, I doubt it.

Sure. It's conjecture on my part, but the pieces seem to fit.

It is a fact that Interplay has attempted to run a kickstarter campaign via proxy. It is a fact that an unnamed publisher has contacted Obsidian to run a kickstarter campaign as their proxy.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Sure. It's conjecture on my part, but the pieces seem to fit.

It is a fact that Interplay has attempted to run a kickstarter campaign via proxy. It is a fact that an unnamed publisher has contacted Obsidian to run a kickstarter campaign as their proxy.

Well anything is possible. I would laugh my ass off if Interplay was responsible, but I would just as well, if not more, with EA. :devil::fdevil::devil:

Edited by kenup

I'm sure this'll be moved to off-topic at any moment...

There's still no word on what the rez of Black Isle actually means--it honestly kinda rubs me the wrong way, since the studio name may be back but it's hardly the same (kind of like EA/Bioware versus pre-EA Bioware). Mmph, Interplay... Hey, I didn't know Chris Taylor had something to do with LotRO.

The whole thing with a publisher trying to buy Project Eternity mmmrrrrrrrrrrrrgghh~

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I'm just glad everybody hates EA. =]

They just make it so easy. As much as they try to penny pinch, they seem to forget some things. When I was younger, I would get Madden/NHL and the occasional other EA game EVERY year. I've only got 3 EA games in the last 7+ years and the only reason I got them was because they were $10 each. They've lost out on an easy $1,000 just from me. Now I know I'm just a drop in the bucket compared to the market, but I can't imagine I'm the only one especially with how hard they are trying to nickel and dime everyone.

Edited by Utukka

Personally, I wish that Obsidian would make a game for EA. Obsidian games are great in a lot of respects, but EA would hold them to higher standards in some areas that they lack in. For example, EA says that they aren't going to publish any more single player games only games, so they would not allow Project Eternity's shameful lack of multi player content. Also, I'm worried that Obsidian's profits will be sapped by piracy, and implementing Origin's always online DRM would help protect Obsidian's investment substantially. And finally, if EA was publishing Project Eternity, we might actually get some day one dlc. I know that some folks are satisfied to wait 6 months for new content, but I'd rather get my hands on it faster.

Edited by bobobo878
  • Like 14

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

Not sure if serious...

• Like 16

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I hate EA too.

Just saying ... o:)

"People dislike the popular because it's crap"

"HTH. Because it means I can talk down to you some more."

"I can do you a quote a day, but you'll have to pay. Preferably with suicide."

"You want original? Why? It's not as though that's ever touched your life before."

"A woman scorned is a fun thing. Let's boogie."

Personally, I wish that Obsidian would make a game for EA. Obsidian games are great in a lot of respects, but EA would hold them to higher standards in some areas that they lack in. For example, EA says that they aren't going to publish any more single player games only games, so they would not allow Project Eternity's shameful lack of multi player content. Also, I'm worried that Obsidian's profits will be sapped by piracy, and implementing Origin's always online DRM would help protect Obsidian's investment substantially. And finally, if EA was publishing Project Eternity, we might actually get some day one dlc. I know that some folks are satisfied to wait 6 months for new content, but I'd rather get my hands on it faster.

Thanks, I sorely missed my daily dose of sarcasm :thumbsup:

• Like 6

Not sure if serious...

Just think about it, if EA was publishing, we could get a 9th companion character in day one dlc, and a 10th a few months later! :wowey:

• Like 1

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

Not sure if serious...

When you see someone hoping a company they like gets taken over by EA, you can confidently assume 'not serious.'

• Like 4

Thanks, I sorely missed my daily dose of sarcasm :thumbsup:

Not sure if serious...

Just think about it, if EA was publishing, we could get a 9th companion character in day one dlc, and a 10th a few months later! :wowey:

Whew, nice one. :grin: Ahaha.

(I about wanted to headbutt you. :bat: )

Edit:

Not sure if serious...

You mean his sig doesn't make that obvious?????? :grin:

Can't see his sig. :p

Edited by Ieo

Not sure if serious...

When you see someone hoping a company they like gets taken over by EA, you can confidently assume 'not serious.'

I didn't say they should take over, they should just publish Project Eternity. But I wonder what would happen if they did take over? Would Obsidian become Bioware Irvine or would Bioware become Obsidian Edmonton? In today's gaming climate, the latter would probably make more marketing sense. For better or for worse, Obsidian seems to have better street cred.

Edited by bobobo878

And here I thought I was somewhat indirectly protecting Electronic Art's honor...

it's Interplay dammit! Lolz.

There's still no word on what the rez of Black Isle actually means--it honestly kinda rubs me the wrong way, since the studio name may be back but it's hardly the same (kind of like EA/Bioware versus pre-EA Bioware).

Yeah, I hear that. I like how Brian Fargo put it: "Are they getting the band back together or getting the brand back together?"

• Like 1

Not certain why anybody would ever care about anything Interplay says or does anymore. They have nothing and will make nothing in their current condition, for good or for ill.

Funnily enough, re. OP, I can imagine a lot of publishers entertaining the possibility. After all, if they can get a dev to sign on, it's great for them.

Not sure if serious...

I didn't say they should take over, they should just publish Project Eternity. But I wonder what would happen if they did take over? Would Obsidian become Bioware Irvine or would Bioware become Obsidian Edmonton? In today's gaming climate, the latter would probably make more marketing sense. For better or for worse, Obsidian seems to have better street cred.

Bioware will be disbanded, or at least become EA RPGs( :w00t: ), soon enough. I can't say how soon, but they will. So I'm guessing EA would try to put OE's logo on top, to attract customers.

Now I've probably managed to create nightmares for anyone who read the above. :fdevil:

Edit: LOL, everyone's ignoring the OP's theory!

Edited by kenup