How should we acquire our initial equipment  

208 members have voted

1. 1. How should we acquire our initial equipment

• Starting gear chosen from a list during character creation
    • Immediate access to a store, where we can spend starting cash
    • Preset starting equipment by class
    • No starting equipment (take it off early enemies)
    • Other (explain please)
    • No opinion

Or certain classes specialize in certain things.

Yes, Warriors specialize in the use of weapons.

Traditionally people weren't just trained how to use a sword, but also how to use war hammers and short blades in addition to Crossbows if they were wealthy enough to afford using such weaponry. There comes a point where swapping weapons was a tactic that was used, I know this is amazing for you, but people (unless they were incredibly poor) didn't only lug around one weapon. I absolute HATE the traditional, "you specialize in this weapon type, so therefore that's apparently the only weapon you can use ever no matter what you are fighting, unless you are fighting skeletons, then you use a blunt weapon" bull**** you are trying to peddle.

Because that's what you are doing. "OMG U SPECIALIZE NOW!" No thanks.

I think expecting a store prior to the game start is a bit much, wasted development time. Regardless of what race or class you pick the general idea will be you are a nobody who witnesses something and goes on an adventure. You can RP you were an awesome mercenary but you will still start at level 1 so just giving out some basic gear on race/subrace/class basis seems easiest.

Most likely it will be like BG1 and we start with only a single weapon and I'm fine with that. I really don't want to start the game with basic armor and weapons from some character creation store and then play for 2 hours before finding a single upgrade. It was neat in BG1 that you could get armor and sword and shield and ranged etc slowly through Candlekeep after only having a staff on creation. It is an introduction to the game and works for both experienced and new players.

You may find it neat, I find it incredibly annoying to have my choices restricted.

I like choosing my class as well, are we all of a sudden going to be incapable of doing that? Is that going to be to much effort?

I hate to be a douche, because you come across as being kind of reasonable, but if you think that having a feature in character creation that lets you choose from a basic pieces of equipment takes an incredible amount of development time or money/resources you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Again, if you find the gameplay mechanic of...*4 hours into the game* "YES, I finally found a two handed sword, now I can play my character how I intended them to be" fun, I find frustrating.

• Like 1

Or certain classes specialize in certain things.

Yes, Warriors specialize in the use of weapons.

Traditionally people weren't just trained how to use a sword, but also how to use war hammers and short blades in addition to Crossbows if they were wealthy enough to afford using such weaponry. There comes a point where swapping weapons was a tactic that was used, I know this is amazing for you, but people (unless they were incredibly poor) didn't only lug around one weapon. I absolute HATE the traditional, "you specialize in this weapon type, so therefore that's apparently the only weapon you can use ever no matter what you are fighting, unless you are fighting skeletons, then you use a blunt weapon" bull**** you are trying to peddle.

Because that's what you are doing. "OMG U SPECIALIZE NOW!" No thanks.

There will be restrictions for certain classes and there will be pros and cons to using different types of weapons with different classes.

It's not about development time. It's about good design. Why have classes without specialization?

Edited by Metabot

Alright, so when the game boots up and you get in and are forced into having a one handed sword, there should be dialgoue that pops up saying, "**** everyone who wanted to use two handed weapons of any kind or one handed maces, daggers, or ranged weaponry. ~ Metabot"

Or they could just develop a feature that is incredibly easily implemented and worthwhile.

Alright, so when the game boots up and you get in and are forced into having a one handed sword, there should be dialgoue that pops up saying, "**** everyone who wanted to use two handed weapons of any kind or one handed maces, daggers, or ranged weaponry. ~ Metabot"

Or they could just develop a feature that is incredibly easily implemented and worthwhile.

Lol nice strawman. Classes will have specializations. A warrior would be more likely to use a bigger weapon. Not necessarily just a sword, but probably not a dagger.

The starting equipment should reflect the class and the skills/talents/feats/whatever of the starting player. I don't really care about the method, but you should start with an equipment you are not just able to use, but which you are able to use well.

Nothing more annoying than creating a light-armored warrior specialized in two-handed axes, only to spend the whole time until the first shop (which can take some time, depending on the game) in heavy armor and sword and shield.

well, either the equipment could be given to you depending on class, or maybe depending on skills / stats, so maybe you want to use two handed weapons, and chosen a skill to enhance that, then you probably have a high chance of getting a two handed sword instead of a one handed one, or if there are shield skills, you get a shield and a one handed sword, or maybe a dagger, I think if the character generation was interesting, it should choose your equipment for you depending on the choices you made

Personally I would prefer the way it worked in arcanum where you get a certain amount of gold depending on your background (class might also play into it here, arcanum did not have those) and are then dropped into a basic shop right at the start. Maybe supplemented by certain free items depending on your class like say a free set of lockpicks for a rogue.

So that doesn't make it any less stupid that I have to choose between a sword and a warhammer.

Also, better complain about me supposedly having, "strawman" arguments, when all you can do is flip out and swear at me. Hah.

You don't necessarily have to choose between them, but you might be better at one than the other or have skills that pertain to one and not the other.

So that doesn't make it any less stupid that I have to choose between a sword and a warhammer.

Also, better complain about me supposedly having, "strawman" arguments, when all you can do is flip out and swear at me. Hah.

You don't necessarily have to choose between them, but you might be better at one than the other or have skills that pertain to one and not the other.

And I can choose these skills.

Wait for it...

Wait for iiiiit....

Therefore I should be able to choose my weapon.

Lol. You can choose your weapon but if you want to use a dagger you're better off being a rogue. I don't think i said you couldn't choose different weapons if you want did I? This is why you're the idiot and should stick to consoles or something.

I cannot agree with those advocating for gear strictly along class lines. This idea assumes that once class selection is made, there will be little room for customization of that character (i.e. druids all use staves or priests all use maces) Giving players either a list of options or an item shop makes more sense in that it allows players early on to make decisions about how they envision thier character. Certainly that vision can change as they progress, but given the options of choice versus having set gear forced upon you, I will always side with choice.

• Like 1

Lol. You can choose your weapon but if you want to use a dagger you're better off being a rogue. I don't think i said you couldn't choose different weapons if you want did I? This is why you're the idiot and should stick to consoles or something.

I have to ask, why? What about daggers presupposes a rogue? Are they somehow a less effective weapon in the hands of a warrior? Certainly you sacrifice reach but you gain speed, is that somehow an unworthy tradeoff for anyone but a rogue? This isnt D&D, and we have no idea exactly how weapon damage will function, nor exactly how the classes will function. I assume (as I think most of us do) that there will be some level of player driven weapon specialization. So why should class be the sole determining factor? I cannot think of a good reason for this. We are supposed to be role playing, not just fulfilling a set role in a party. If I want to make a rogue that uses short bows, why is that wrong? Why shouldnt I make a dagger warrior? Why should I have to wait to implement my vision for my character? Role playing games differ from other games in that they should be driven by player choice more than just following a predertermined path.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind being able to purchase starting adventuring gear with a set amount of starting cash similar to rolling a character in D&D. I always enjoyed deciding whether to bring along caltrops or buy a bull's-eye lantern. If there isn't much in the way of equipment outside of weapons and armor, however, there wouldn't be much point. Just start me out in basic stuff and let me find better.

Starting out with little makes getting little stuff in the beginning feel much more rewarding. Give the characters something that makes it possible to do their job (voted for gear based on class), maybe a few pieces of coin to buy something nice, but not too nice, and then off you go, into the big world.

Yeah. If you pick a fighter with mace proficiency, then start with a longsword (since, class gear is that) it just makes acquiring your mace a first "progress point"...

I do really think shopping in character-creation rather than ingame deters from finally getting the gold and items you desire 'properly'...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Yeah. If you pick a fighter with mace proficiency, then start with a longsword (since, class gear is that) it just makes acquiring your mace a first "progress point"...

I do really think shopping in character-creation rather than ingame deters from finally getting the gold and items you desire 'properly'...

Though I agree with what you are saying, being argumentative (or just a bastard ;)), I have to point out that starting gear for a normal warrior would more probably be a mace than a longsword, which cost a whole lot more expensive material and skill to make.

Im going to preset, Its the safest bet for a new Game with new mechanics where people are not familiar.

Say what you want but with the gold or choice system in the first playtrough on a first time in a new game with a new engine and rules is diferent that the gold you got for the travel the 100th time you play Baldrus Gate.

Though I agree with what you are saying, being argumentative (or just a bastard ;)), I have to point out that starting gear for a normal warrior would more probably be a mace than a longsword, which cost a whole lot more expensive material and skill to make.

Also no one knows the rules of the game, maybe Fighters/Warriors will not be able to chose weapon proficiency, so i could not matter what kind of weapon you have at the beginin. Or that proficiency is a skill you get much later in the game where your starting gear is not an isue.

Also We dont know the story, so the seting for what could be spected the main character to have is not known.

We should choose our starting gear from a basic list of options appropriate for the class in question, but there needs to be a monetary limit imposed upon our Level 1 character. Sure, your fighter might want that two-handed sword, but he might have to settle for studded leather armor in order to afford it. A fighter with a similar starting purse might opt for a short sword, shield, and chainmail hauberk. Even if there's a very good background reason (son/daughter of nobility), I'm none too keen on letting Level 1 characters deck themselves out with all the level-appropriate gear they desire. :skeptical:

• Like 3

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/