Arachnophobia, "no spiders", what should be important in P:E?

I mean absolutely no offense, but if You're scared by virtual spiders so much, that You can't play a game, You should seek help from other professionals, not game developers.

I wouldn't want to restrict developer's creativity based on anyone's phobias - Your or mine. After all, where do we stop then?

I don't mind animal encounters, if they're done with some credibility (bears attacking when feeling threatened, wolf packs attacking when really really hungry, ...). I would like to see more variety in encounters that serve to present an environment as a dangerous wilderness, but I'm hard pressed to think of any significant animal threat, which's use doesn't border on cliche. Bison stampede perhaps?

I do agree, however, that some fantastically enlarged animals have been overused (rats and spiders being the main offenders). Mainly because the parallel evlotution seems to always have effect just on them. Why no giant wasps, beavers, squrels, ...? F*** rats, I want carnivorous capybara mammoths!

I like my giant spiders to be of the more magic variaty, like Phase Spiders. Though often times normal spiders as monsters tend to be kinda weak and exist as fodder. Think the only time a spider as a monster was a 'serious threat' was.. well BG. Skyrim to some extremely lesser extent depending on difficulty, player level and where they encountered said over-sized spider.

Either way I don't care to much one way or another but I don't think a phobia should be as big of a consideration. I get that it's (quite literally) an irrational fear of something (even something you have every right to be scared of a little, like some spiders). But I'd rather spiders be in as canon fodder then not be in due to a sub-set of a sub-set being incapable of handling game spiders in an isometric-ish game. But that has more to do with me not wanting **** censored in any manner which, generally, can be fixed by 'not writing it that way'. So yeah I guess just put em in if it makes sense, or don't.

Meh...

Def Con: kills owls dead

There should definitely be a check box for that says: "Replace spiders by kittens?". Of course there would be some problems like: "you were bitten by a kitten and you were poisoned" and it might look strange to find basket full of kittens at the end of dungeon full of spider webs, but I am sure that developer team could work something out. :grin:

We did have "cats confirmed for $4mil stretch goal" afterall.... :D

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Can't really say that I have experience with this sort of phobia, but doesn't it only add to the monster? Make it a tiny bit better with that extra flavor that the fear brings?

But anyway, I'm personally against giant spiders, seeing how I find them rather dull after seeing them in too many fantasy games which makes me lose interest in them.

• Like 1

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

While it's unfortunate that some people are afraid of spiders, no quarter must be given to this sort of issue, because if that was the case, people that fear snakes, bears, wolves or other creatures would be considered as second-rate customers. Censorship must be cut down, not upheld.

• Like 1
tsgUO.gif

Yes and no OldRPG, the kind there talking about is the rare subset of phobia victims that literally can't play the game once a spider hits there screen. Jump up away from the computer, turn it off instantly, can't watch all that stuff. Spider phobias one of the most common considering being waring 'of' spiders is imprinted in are brains as is (they're all poisonous after all). Most phobia just would rather remove it from the game (and I don't think they should be pandered too for the sake of it) and others literally just can't play.

One's that can't play are rarer though, and unlike colorblind people can still ultimately learn to deal with it. That's really the only folks I think should get some kind of special catering, the colorblind. Cause ultimately they can't 'get over it' to put it in the most irritating and assholery way I can. Takes a long time to actually deal with a phobia, it's not some movie over night BS. But you can deal with it, and running away from it in a video game sure aint gonna help.

I'd rather spider replacement, if they feel they want or need spiders in PE, to be a thing for mods. Also, why the **** would you want to replace giant spiders with kittens? Spiders bad, murdering kittens good? That ****s backwards man lol. I mean ok, I get it, cats and subsequently kittens are vile evil creatures bent on are destruction, but there 'adorable' (though extremely evil) things. Also they can't really hurt us so it just makes all there evil plotting more cute.

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

I'd rather spider replacement, if they feel they want or need spiders in PE, to be a thing for mods. Also, why the **** would you want to replace giant spiders with kittens? Spiders bad, murdering kittens good? That ****s backwards man lol. I mean ok, I get it, cats and subsequently kittens are vile evil creatures bent on are destruction, but there 'adorable' (though extremely evil) things. Also they can't really hurt us so it just makes all there evil plotting more cute.

I think you're seriously underestimating kittens.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They should have that toggle. Relatively easy to program. I'd say they should also have an arachnoawesome button, but that's what mods are for.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

It's a slippery slope your headed towards OP.

It sucks you suffer from arachnophobia, but what about people with:

logophobia

aurophobia

rhabdophobia

anglophobia

Suddenly we have a game with no magic, no swords, no gold, and no words.

In other words it's a game with....no fun.

Get over your phobia. You're playing a video game, not taking a stroll through a tropical rainforest or jungle. The creepy-crawlies aren't going to jump off the screen and scuttle down your shirt, so just take a deep breath and repeat the mantra, "It's only a game, it's only a game, it's only a game."

Bring on the spiders, centipedes, mantids, scorpions, beetles, ants, and other arthropods! :devil:

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

What about spiders as a playable race ? For sure, this could help people who are afraid of spiders to overcome their phobia :)

Like in simant! When I realized I was controlling the spider...I thought surely this is a mistake.

Those red ants didn't have a snowball's chance.

So. Many. A-Holes. In. This. Thread.

I know a few gamerfriends who have the same and need mods to get past spiders. So while I don't agree with *not* using spiders (they are kinda inheritent to RPG's after all) I don't see why there could be already incluse (so not needing a mod) an anti-spider mode which just changes the skin and name (but not functonality) of the monster.

Edited by Hassat Hunter
  • Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

(...) they are kinda inheritent to RPG's after all)

And this is just a stereotype. Why do you want in any role-playing game have spiders? So that's thinking we could have spiders in Fallout or Planescape Torment. Why? Because they are RPG.

I don't see why there could be already incluse (so not needing a mod) an anti-spider mode which just changes the skin and name (but not functonality) of the monster.

Yes, I was talking about it and this is good idea BUT if spiders are not common in P:E universe devs don't need to put them. And that would be the best options. On the oder hand, if they really want to put spiders into game, please don't make/model them so realistic.

logophobia

aurophobia

rhabdophobia

anglophobia

You are wrong, that thinking is bad... I talk about spiders as visual monsters. Many people afraid of them because it is strange, natural and " have it in their genes" (I sorry for my english). Example me, I play few games where are spider monster: IW2, Cabal Online (2 types), DOTA2 (brodmother), LOL (new champion). Why? Because they are not scary. But when I see creepy, Skyrim I prefer play this game without.

But anyway, I'm personally against giant spiders, seeing how I find them rather dull after seeing them in too many fantasy games which makes me lose interest in them.

Yes, every fantasy include spiders, so P:E doesn't need them. P:E is not every fantasy game, P:E is unique game, new, better. The world can be other, not same as many average MMOs or RPGs.

And the last words from me, if you are really againts the removal of ONE creature, I think you shouldn't play game. Important things are storyline, role play than including creepy creature. Well, but everyone has own opinion.

I think games should be scary, even fantasy games, which is why the inclusion of spiders is important as it does get under people's skin. If you feel uncomfortable then it'll underscore the peril your characters are in. Plus the fact spiders are present in fantasy literature, not including them is a bit odd.

Edited by Jojobobo

They shouldn't have spiders in the game. You know why? Giant spiders are really boring. There are very few times I can think of that they serve as anything more than random unexplained monster #341. Fallout lost naught from lack of spiders. Not to mention, wouldn't their exoskeleton or whatever crush them?

Although, come to think of it, one of the things that did help me get over my mild arachnophobia was reducing spiders to ashes with arcane fire.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

I don't see why I should be denied the pleasures of splattering spiders over cave walls just because of your psychological peculiarities. Instead of trying to control the experience of others, start by controlling yourself.

Get over your phobia. You're playing a video game, not taking a stroll through a tropical rainforest or jungle. The creepy-crawlies aren't going to jump off the screen and scuttle down your shirt, so just take a deep breath and repeat the mantra, "It's only a game, it's only a game, it's only a game."

Bring on the spiders, centipedes, mantids, scorpions, beetles, ants, and other arthropods! :devil:

Hey, I remember you (that is, if you're the same Tsuga C)! This is reflir, from the bioware offtopic forum. Anyone else here from the old days? Thinking about it, it kind of makes sense that a game like this would bring us together again

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

logophobia

aurophobia

rhabdophobia

anglophobia

You are wrong, that thinking is bad... I talk about spiders as visual monsters. Many people afraid of them because it is strange, natural and " have it in their genes" (I sorry for my english). Example me, I play few games where are spider monster: IW2, Cabal Online (2 types), DOTA2 (brodmother), LOL (new champion). Why? Because they are not scary. But when I see creepy, Skyrim I prefer play this game without.

So your phobia is more important than other people's phobia?

Care to explain why?

logophobia

aurophobia

rhabdophobia

anglophobia

So your phobia is more important than other people's phobia?

Care to explain why?

Yes, of course. Spiders are visual monsters and they are scary because you see them. Well, you can watch some series about people who afraid of spiders, or talk someone who have it. I can't explain you how I feel. I said before page, or two, that I can look at spider, example photo but I prefer don't see them everywhere and everytime. Same is in games, cRPG. (earlier pages) I said before that imo, good fantasy game doesn't need to 999 types of creatures and doesn't need to include spiders. P:E could be other universe where is others creatures. I only say that P:E could be other game, not typical as all MMO's. We could fight vs new, other creatures, not typical and boring mobs. :)

Was wondering how many Internet Sardaukar would show up here. I'm not a big fan of spiders, do get a bit weirded out by them a fair bit. But hopefully people can mod them out if they like, or just not bother as, others have said, they're boring opposition. I'd like an RPG where I don't have to fight weird mutated versions of arachnids or insects from our current reality :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes, of course. Spiders are visual monsters and they are scary because you see them. Well, you can watch some series about people who afraid of spiders, or talk someone who have it. I can't explain you how I feel. I said before page, or two, that I can look at spider, example photo but I prefer don't see them everywhere and everytime. Same is in games, cRPG. (earlier pages) I said before that imo, good fantasy game doesn't need to 999 types of creatures and doesn't need to include spiders. P:E could be other universe where is others creatures. I only say that P:E could be other game, not typical as all MMO's. We could fight vs new, other creatures, not typical and boring mobs. :)

There's your problem, you think only a fear of spiders should matter, because it's the fear you happen to have. What about all the people afraid of magic and swords and gold? Why don't they deserve the same attention you do?

This isn't a discussion about what monsters make a cRPG interesting, it's a discussion about catering to people with arachnophobia.

While it would be great for you personally to have no spiders in the game, it would be great for anglophobics to have no swords in the game. And why should your fear carry more weight than theirs?

The point I'm trying to make is: "Don't censor games to appease phobias, there are far too many of them."

Your phobia isn't any more important than other phobias, your being extremely selfish in your reasoning.

Edited by jivex5k

Ok, I have a case of arachnophobia, for real spiders, myself. But the ones in a game are graphics(and not that good ones too), no need to remove something because someone is "scared" of it. A mod can probably deal with it, and in the mean time they won't bite so separate them from actual spiders.

I think we can all agree that spiders in a game is a serious issue. There are four pages of replies in this topic. But not a single one of them explains why the hell the person with arachnophobia would want to explore cave with spider's lair! It just doesn't make any sense. It's like locking yourself in broom closet and scream that you are afraid of small spaces or/and brooms.

Edited by InHuMan