Arachnophobia, "no spiders", what should be important in P:E?

Not this again. Before Skyrim was released, there was threads about this at Bethesdas forums aswell. I have arachnophobia aswell, though obviously not to the same extent as you. But i also suffers from OCD (fear of bacteria and dirt in my case) so i know how it feels to live with anxiety but i cannot comprehend how people can be so afraid of spiders that it would be a problem seing them in a game. I mean, i know anxiety is rarely logical but i just can't understand how this can be a problem. You know the spider is entirely fictionel, and there is no way it can hurt anybody but your character in the game. Sorry if i sound like an ass but that's the way i feel. In any case i agree with Cultist, they can't just remove it because it might offend or scare some people. If they did, where would it end? Should mountains be removed too? after all, acrophobia (fear of heights) is relatively common. Besides, as far as i know, we don't even know if this game will have giant spiders yet though they are relatively common in medieval fantasy rpgs.

• Like 1

If spiders work and make sense in the game, I think that they should be there. I certainly don't think that spiders are necessary to have in an RPG either, and I know that it's a relatively common phobia, but I expect the number of people who can't bring themselves to play the game because of it is relatively small. Most probably just find situations where their characters are facing spiders to be a bit more tense and frightening.

Now, this is not to say that I don't sympathise with you to some extent. I do. I also envy you slightly, because arachnophobia is one of those phobias that people often do take into account for various things. I myself have a fairly severe phobia of dogs. It's not bad enough that seeing them in an isometric game bothers me, although occasionally the sounds do, but it often bothers me a fair amount in 3d games. I don't expect people to stop putting dogs in games, though; it's just something I have to deal with.

I do think it would be nice if in some game your character ended up with an animal other than a dog following them around, partially because of my reaction to dogs, and partially just for variety; and usually, I just avoid those if I can. But in the whole game? I just don't think it's reasonable to expect to not see one type of creature because some people are afraid of it. If you had nothing in a game that anybody has a phobia of, you wouldn't have much left.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I do hope they leave spiders out or make them only a minor part of the game, but that's primarily because I think they're terribly dull and overused as stock enemies. I would hope that Project: Eternity would use something a little more unique and specific to its setting.

In that same vein, while dragons are quite interesting from a combat perspective, they're also overused to the point of losing some of their power to awe. It would be nice if they were in the game, but used sparingly and in little hidden corners of the world, and if some other kind of mythological creature was more prominent.

I don'tmind spiders enemies, but generally they're just so overused in RPGs. Most people find spiders at least slightly revolting or downright horrible, stirring these feelings is basically as original as using rape as fool-proof device to establish a character as terribly evil.

I'd agree that they're overused, especially in Spider Den 'lots of smaller spiders swarming you' manners. I much prefer the idea of a Giant Spider as a lone hunter stalking you. A challenging, dangerous fight rather than a fight against fodder swarms. Spiders aren't ants or bees.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 2

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Yes i'd like to see that, a predator hitting and running from all directions, perhaps even kidnapping your companions and leaving them hung in its larder for a chittering, gleeful feast later. Big, horrible and inuhmanly fast.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Giant spiders aren't scientifically plausible creatures anyway. They can't get enough blood to their outer limbs. But what about a spider-shaped reptile with a chitinous body shell? Would that still scare an arachnophobe?

Yes, it would. We're afraid of anything spider-shaped, whether it's an actual arachnid or something else. I once had a panic fit when someone threw a spider-shaped plant at me and I thought it was alive.

I'm arachnophobic, but oddly, giant spiders in video games don't scare me. I think they're too unrealistic to affect me; when I modded ambient creatures into Skyrim, tiny peaceful spiders creeped me out, but their larger friends didn't. I know other people find them uncomfortable, though - hence my question: would it be feasible to include a no-spider (and a no-snake while we're at it) button turning these creatures into something else? Or at least to mod it in when the tools are released. TES games have mods which replace spiders with bears.

Edited by Rosveen

but i cannot comprehend how people can be so afraid of spiders that it would be a problem seing them in a game. I mean, i know anxiety is rarely logical but i just can't understand how this can be a problem. You know the spider is entirely fictionel, and there is no way it can hurt anybody but your character in the game. Sorry if i sound like an ass but that's the way i feel. In any case i agree with Cultist, they can't just remove it because it might offend or scare some people. If they did, where would it end? Should mountains be removed too? after all, acrophobia (fear of heights) is relatively common. Besides, as far as i know, we don't even know if this game will have giant spiders yet though they are relatively common in medieval fantasy rpgs.

The problem is not hurts or fiction, the problem is seeing that spider. Well, I can look at one but I got weird feeling. I just think that not every cRPG has to have spiders. I'd just like to developers not focus on the spiders as in Skyrim. That's it. Story, dialogues, good characters are better than photorealistic insects.

Giant spiders aren't scientifically plausible creatures anyway. They can't get enough blood to their outer limbs. But what about a spider-shaped reptile with a chitinous body shell? Would that still scare an arachnophobe?

Yes, it would. We're afraid of anything spider-shaped, whether it's an actual arachnid or something else. I once had a panic fit when someone threw a spider-shaped plant at me and I thought it was alive.

I'm arachnophobic, but oddly, giant spiders in video games don't scare me. I think they're too unrealistic to affect me; when I modded ambient creatures into Skyrim, tiny peaceful spiders creeped me out, but their larger friends didn't. I know other people find them uncomfortable, though - hence my question: would it be feasible to include a no-spider (and a no-snake while we're at it) button turning these creatures into something else? Or at least to mod it in when the tools are released. TES games have mods which replace spiders with bears.

How difficult it would be to add a button turning it on or off is hard to tell without knowing how the game is made.

The same with regard to modding it, it could be really simple if say creatures are controlled by a simple, easy to read text file, then it would just be a matter of changing what mesh, texture and animation it uses. Might have to change spawn lists which would be harder, but again if in plain text just a matter of bulk editing

On the other hand it could be a matter of editing 10 files where half the information is well hidden, or require specialized tools to be able to edit them at all.

Given that modding has been promised to be simple hopefully it will not be something like say modding icewind dale, that was a nightmare.

Well, usually every cRPG is about fantasy world where are many monsters, races and other things that are characteristic for this kind of game. Project Eternity is the successor to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. I really like these games and play them very often but I got small problem.

Oh, yes I don't like spiders because I afraid of them. Well, I don't scary small spiders but I don't like big tarantulas (big black) because they are really scary for me. If you play Skyrim you must know that there is many spiders which are really terrible and many players (women, men) can't play this game because they scary. I think spiders monsters are not very important to include them in every cRPG game. In my opinion, good cRPG game has:

• great story
  • great dialogues (example Planescape Torment)
  • freedom for player, I can do quests what I want and when I want
  • interesting characters
  • and GOOD atmosphere of the game (example Fallout 1)

Back to topic about spiders. Why don't include them in game? It is easy. People who have arachnophobia can play that game and enjoy story, world, many of us prefer great dialogues as Planescape Torment, so I hope we can play that game like we want. Of course combat is fun too but I think if you create other monsters and enemies (humans, elves, dwarves, wizards, dogs, orgs, ghost etc) that would be okay. Spiders are not important, they are useless and people who don't like them will be able to play without any fear.

I know that for some of you may be strange but in fact cRPGs games are not only to kill spiders. We don't need them in every fantasy. That's it. Let me know what do you think.

Regards.

I would think a game like this would be good therapy to face and destroy your fear.

Giant spiders are cool. And, if people hate them, it's even more reason to include them. They're old skool and PE wants to be old skool.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

spider-smiley.gifBoo!

(SCNR)

But seriously what's next, no wolves, no bears?

As AlphaShard said, use them as therapy, some of you are brave enough to touch real spiders, why not start with looking at them at a screen?

This is no FP game where a giant spider will overwhelm and eat "you". It's a top down game where you see the spider from far away.

Edited by JOG

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

I do hope they leave spiders out or make them only a minor part of the game, but that's primarily because I think they're terribly dull and overused as stock enemies. I would hope that Project: Eternity would use something a little more unique and specific to its setting.

They can probably do a lot of interesting variants of stock D&D monsters, just to change things up and challenge people's expectations. For example, a 'whiptail spider' with a barbed appendage that can be used to spit nets of spider silk.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would think a game like this would be good therapy to face and destroy your fear.

There are some VR immersion therapies that are used to manage people's phobias. But I think it's better to do that under carefully controlled conditions with a skilled therapist. Playing games that are designed to initiate strong emotional responses probably ain't it.

I'm all in for an arachnophobia option in the game so that players who don't like spiders can replace them with uhmm.. i don't know giant rats maybe? And if the person has also musophobia well then... Kistrel would weave a shirt for ya! :)

I have a fear of stingy and bitey insects in general (real life non-threat spiders are not included in that due to being arachnids) but I was still manwoman enough to dose up on all the drugs I had and shove a chainsaw into the Legendary Cazadores face. Besides, true fear is hard to create in an isometric game and most games don't even milk a tenth of the fright of what a genuine giant spider could do to a squishy delicious human. I'm sparing you my sadistic thoughts on this.

Edited by Mr Moonlight

The problem is not hurts or fiction, the problem is seeing that spider.

But you can look at it nonetheless. That's good. Facing your fears can actually help, though it's not something i would recomend to do without professional help. I don't know you ofcause but If you can't even play the games you like because of your anxiety, i think it's worth considering.

I just think that not every cRPG has to have spiders.

Ofcause not. Infact i agree with those who think giant spiders is rather cliché (and Dragons even more so). I don't really care if they are in the game or not but the decision shouldn't be based on something like that.

And i'm sure some people actually want to see them in the game. Most of us probably have a favorite animal/creature/monster and would prefer to see it in the game. I just happen to like Wolves and Werewolves.

I like spiders. They are not the same species but i tend to let Harvesters into the house this time of year since they function as garbage-collectors. And i like how they wobble around.

I've got pretty severe arachnaphobia myself, to the point where an image of a spider does actually freak me out in itself, and I've never had any problem with spiders in IE games; the Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales had them, I believe, and the isometric view kept it from being too bad. Try those out, OP, and if it is still an issue for you, then yeah, I'm sure there'll be an early mod to replace any spiders that make it in.

There should definitely be a check box for that says: "Replace spiders by kittens?". Of course there would be some problems like: "you were bitten by a kitten and you were poisoned" and it might look strange to find basket full of kittens at the end of dungeon full of spider webs, but I am sure that developer team could work something out. :grin:

Edited by InHuMan

I've got pretty severe arachnaphobia myself, to the point where an image of a spider does actually freak me out in itself, and I've never had any problem with spiders in IE games; the Baldur's Gates and Icewind Dales had them, I believe, and the isometric view kept it from being too bad. Try those out, OP, and if it is still an issue for you, then yeah, I'm sure there'll be an early mod to replace any spiders that make it in.

Yeah, if they can build posh mudcrabs, they can mod spiders into giant web-spinning kitties. :)

tumblr_lzgojaq2a91qancemo1_400.gif

Edited by rjshae

Spiders won't be a problem in this game, they will be tiny. I say this as someone who doesn't like them. I am not scared of them per se, they are just not pleasant.

I think my worst video game experience with spiders was in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. You fight through a spider lair. With spiders jumping at you.

Edited by HeedlessHorseman

What if I was afraid of rats? Wolves? People? Open spaces? Closed spaces? And so on?

Just deal with it. You don't warrant special treatment; nobody does.

Edit: That said I'd rather have a game where the encounters aren't wolves, spiders and rats.

Edited by Jasede
  • Like 1

I really dislike most insects, personally. When I was younger, every so often there would be a big spread of insects in National Geographic, and I couldn't bring myself to touch the page. I had to turn the page with a paper clip, or some other type of implement.

I'd be fine with excluding spiders from the game. Not because of phobias, but because they are badly overused, boring and implausible (as previously explained)