Anti-Dragon Age 2?

Cultist

I do agree that games should cut out the bull**** so you can sit down and just play the thing when you want to.

Want to play Zelda: Skyward Sword? Zelda: TP? Zelda: Wind Waker? Better not, there's like 30+ minutes of forced tutorial and cinema before you get your bloody sword.

Want to play OoT or Majora's Mask? Sure, you're already playing the game after the first, relatively short cutscene that is usually skippable.

This is what's wrong with "cinematic" games.

i like this post, its one of the things that is completely terrible about most modern jrpgs too. FF7 you are fighting enemies within a minute of starting the game, learning quickly as you go, and the tutorial area that opens up after the first couple hours is completely optional.

FF13... wow, no. :(

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I do agree that games should cut out the bull**** so you can sit down and just play the thing when you want to.

Want to play Zelda: Skyward Sword? Zelda: TP? Zelda: Wind Waker? Better not, there's like 30+ minutes of forced tutorial and cinema before you get your bloody sword.

Thank you! Long, unskippable cut scenes kills any game's replay value for me. I've even purchased a couple games on Steam that started out with super long cutscenes and QTEs etc., and it was so annoying I thought, "Why bother with this crap?," uninstalled and never played the game.

I don't buy games in order to sit around passively watching a movie, I want to spend more time actually playing the game.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

I was going to suggest to you that you try KOTOR2 with the restoration patch, if you liked KOTOR1, though... well, it doesn't have all that much replay value. The main issue being the first zone. I mean, you get right into the action in KOTOR2, there isn't that much of a tutorial, but Peragus Mining Facility is like a psuedo-horror level with no replay value and it moves very slowly, making for an awful barrier of entry for replay. But then again, Peragus is about as bad as Irenicus' laboratory so maybe that's just the general design flaw in most RPGs - the first zone is always a chore to slog through.

DA2 is surprisingly easy for replay. You can skip through most of the dialogue you've already heard and you're always fighting things, at least. Though, this is more to its detriment after about five minutes, when you've exhausted the game's entire depth with about three or four encounters, two of which being straight-up ambushes.

Not that I'm advocating for games putting you constantly in the thick of combat or action. That can be mind-numbing and exhausting. Vary activity for players to do, but... don't make us passive. That's the main thing. If you're not being challenged, if there's no thinking in involved, if you're passive... then that area of the game has a large issue.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I was going to suggest to you that you try KOTOR2 with the restoration patch, if you liked KOTOR1, though... well, it doesn't have all that much replay value. The main issue being the first zone. I mean, you get right into the action in KOTOR2, there isn't that much of a tutorial, but Peragus Mining Facility is like a psuedo-horror level with no replay value and it moves very slowly, making for an awful barrier of entry for replay. But then again, Peragus is about as bad as Irenicus' laboratory so maybe that's just the general design flaw in most RPGs - the first zone is always a chore to slog through.

DA2 is surprisingly easy for replay. You can skip through most of the dialogue you've already heard and you're always fighting things, at least. Though, this is more to its detriment after about five minutes, when you've exhausted the game's entire depth with about three or four encounters, two of which being straight-up ambushes.

Not that I'm advocating for games putting you constantly in the thick of combat or action. That can be mind-numbing and exhausting. Vary activity for players to do, but... don't make us passive. That's the main thing. If you're not being challenged, if there's no thinking in involved, if you're passive... then that area of the game has a large issue.

Loved KOTOR2, played it only once and haven't played KOTOR1 or tried KOTOR2 with mods yet, although I bought it recently on Steam, so I look forward to trying the restoration patch.

I played Dragon Age 2 twice, never finished the game, but I had to restart after I got about 75% through in order to help beta test one of the patches. It's great that you can skip the cutscenes. However, the replay value was killed by the fact that there were only three class options and no other races beside Human, no alternate origin stories, no crafting in the game, no joinable factions, crappy side quests, recycled environments, etc.

I was going to suggest to you that you try KOTOR2 with the restoration patch

I actually haven't played this yet. I don't know where my KOTOR 2 discs are, but I did pick it up off Steam for dirt cheap a few days ago. Does anyone know if it will work with the Steam version?

I was going to suggest to you that you try KOTOR2 with the restoration patch

I actually haven't played this yet. I don't know where my KOTOR 2 discs are, but I did pick it up off Steam for dirt cheap a few days ago. Does anyone know if it will work with the Steam version?

Should work just fine from what I've seen.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Humanoid. >_<

Edited by Deraldin

No exploding bodies please.

Hmm maybe i should replay KOTOR 2 too. Never had any problems with Peragus myself, same goes for Irenicus's dungeon.

And because i haven't played normal Kotor 2 in 7 years, are there any good looking lightsabers in the normal game? Since USM isn't compatible with restoration project. :/

1.13 killed off Ja2.

If you *really* hate Peragus, there is always the Skip Peragus mod too...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I might have to check out that no-peragus thing. Does it work with TSLRCM?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Kirkwall should have been how big Denerim was. Unfortunately, there should have been much more than Kirkwall and some outlying sections in DA2 as well.

Also, Isabella's party banter is the most amusing no matter who else is in the party.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just realized I butchered my first sentence. I meant that Denerim in DA:O should have been the size of Kirkwall in DA2. Kirkwall, with it's various areas, just seems a lot bigger than Denerim was. DA2's issues arise when you realize there's not really anywhere else other than Kirkwall to visit. DA:O had a bunch of other places of decent size to travel to.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think personally I side with convenience over grandure, walking all the way there and back is one of my most hated activities in RPGs.

Baldur's Gate was pretty easy to get around, but it still had a sense of being a city. Denerim was a market with four merchants and a few houses.

Athkatla was a better city than Baldur's Gate. It felt a lot more alvie, and the npcs and quests had more depth. there was a lot more mystery and happenings in Athkata. Between the Cowled wizards, and the two thieves guilds lots was happening.

And, yup, Kirkwall is vastly superior to denerim.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

DA2 got only Kirkwall, Denerim was one of the few locations, we got Orzzammar, Redcliffe and Lothering. Could not compete with Baldur's Gate, but still filled with quests and miniquests. And encounters were actually more diverse than another group of paratrooping clones.

MzpydUh.gif

DA:O has a lot of hubs

Denerim

Ogrimm-err-Orzimmar

Radcliffe

Campfire

Mage Tower/Docks

Dalish Camp

DA:O simply has a Dalish Camp and Kirkwall, there aren't any 'civil' areas to explore besides those two.

Large city-esque locations are expensive to render in games. Baldur's Gate/2 perhaps has spoiled us, it's comparatively easy to render large cities with isometric design.

I do like the style DA:O/Kirkwall approach cities though. Generally speaking, you have X unique locations within a city and travel to them via a map. It's cheap and efficient, than rendering a whole bunch of useless space. Ideally though, Denerim/Kirkwall should have had at least 50% more locations to go to, considering how most of the city locations reused textures/zones anyway. This is especially true of Kirkwall - DA2 should have been more about Kirkwall, and I think that's a good design for a game, but instead, it was mostly about caves and blood mage warehouses.

Skyrim for me was a massive letdown, because Obsidian had several huge city spaces to explore (and Skyrim had like two to three hovels per city district of only four major cities). I guess I find exploring cities to be much more interesting than caves or forests or beaches - but perhaps that is because cities are easier to make interesting, because you generally find civil enemies in cities you can discuss things with before you murder them.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

It is - I mean, barring the end-game areas of Denerim. The Dwarf City has only "unique" areas to it plus the deep roads. Denerim has the square, the pearl and then you have the same "back alley" zone repeated around 5 times.

Actually I thought the Dwarf city in DA1 was a lot better than Denerim. It felt fairly massive.

I was under the impression that Denerim wasn't even supposed to be that big, they're just a fairly minor kingdom. The opposite for Orzammar.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It wasn't just the areas of Orzammar that were superior to me, but the fact that Criers stood on the street corners, many dwarven phrases were used during conversations and there was a lively vibrant society represented independent of the protagonist. The culture of the dwarves was well represented, and distinctive whereas the rest of Dragon Age was, for all intents and purposes the usual rennaisance fair simulation, without any distinct cultural mores being shown only told of in the journal.

The Qunari and dwarven nations were the only things that really intrigued me within the entire setting, the fade might have been interesting if if was more than just a blurry set of levels, but it didn't take advantage of the premise and so like the rest was fun for a while but in the end dull piffle.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!