Anti-Dragon Age 2?

Cultist

There was an interesting article posted on Gamasutra today regarding the different RPG Genres. It identifies Dragon Age as a narrative RPG and lists the qualities of that type. PE/IE sounds a bit more of a mix of the narrative style with the dungeon crawler. However, the author of the article regards mixing styles as a mistake. I'm not sure how much that is true, but it does make for a contemplative read.

Thats an excellent read, it accurately defines for me the correct definition of modern RPG.

I only disagree with one point the writer made when  he says "And as the trend grows, we can safely expect that in a couple years (if that's not the case already) every RPG will be an action RPG, making the label basically useless"

We know through initiatives like KS that specific RPG will be developed for the fans that fund them. So we won't just see one type of RPG. Also if anything the sandbox RPG seems the most popular? Look at the sales of Skyrim. So if you have to predict one type of RPG surviving why shouldn't it be the Sandbox RPG?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I can agree that the term "action RPG" seems to be in decline.  Action RPG was more a distinction between a "standard RPG" in how it plays.  The distinction is, perhaps, coming along the lines of narrative vs. open world vs. dungeon crawler.

I find most RPG discussions futile as many seem to take the label as a badge of pride, and hence any games they don't like that share the label sully that badge in their eyes.

I don't think genre crossing is bad, though.  Just hard.  Some of my favourite games cross genres (System Shock 2, Deus Ex).  Even within the RPG distinctions he created, I'd consider Fallout: New Vegas to be a hybrid of sand box and narrative, and it's very, very well done.

I can agree that the term "action RPG" seems to be in decline.  Action RPG was more a distinction between a "standard RPG" in how it plays.  The distinction is, perhaps, coming along the lines of narrative vs. open world vs. dungeon crawler.

I find most RPG discussions futile as many seem to take the label as a badge of pride, and hence any games they don't like that share the label sully that badge in their eyes.

I don't think genre crossing is bad, though.  Just hard.  Some of my favourite games cross genres (System Shock 2, Deus Ex).  Even within the RPG distinctions he created, I'd consider Fallout: New Vegas to be a hybrid of sand box and narrative, and it's very, very well done.

I am one of those people who doesn't try to label my RPG experience. I like all types so it doesn't bother me what people say is there preferred choice.

But I am faced with a conundrum if I am honest. So far my favorite RPG of all time was BG2, yet I prefer the Sandbox RPG of a Gothic, Fallout and Elder Scrolls game. So I seem to be contradicting my own rationale around what is best for me?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah.  Just means that the total sum of BG2 was enough to supercede the type that you typically prefer.

If there were more along the lines of BG2, you would probably prefer the narrative style instead ;)

I agree that it's pointless to get too caught up in trying to define what an RPG precisely is.

• Like 2

Nah.  Just means that the total sum of BG2 was enough to supercede the type that you typically prefer.

If there were more along the lines of BG2, you would probably prefer the narrative style instead ;)

I agree that it's pointless to get too caught up in trying to define what an RPG precisely is.

Valid point around my own perspective of what I like. Makes sense :)

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after two previous failed attempts to get into DA2, I gave it another try. This time it managed to keep me engaged. There were still quite a few moments where I had to suppress my brain from really thinking about what was happening in the story, but there were a few things that kept me going.

First, I played a female mage. The game really seems geared towaes this, as the templar conflict is much more interesting from the perspective of an apostate.

Second, I enjoyed the whole sibling rivalry I had going with Carver. In fact the game is quite good with rivalries in general, crushing that elf girls dreams was also pretty good. I hated blood mages and I never dealt with demons, and it was rewarding.

Third, I really enjoyed Fenris's story, and his dynamic with my mage. It was a challenge to keep him on friendly terms.

So yeah, there were some major problems, but I do enjoy the universe and I am glad I finished it. I will buy DA3 and hope that they fix the more glaring issues I had with the general storytelling.

• Like 1

Yeah, I went with a male warrior, then a male rogue, and both fell flat a bit after I got into Kirkwall.  female mage seems to be the way to go.

I always prefer rogues, and warrior in that game is actually "tank," because offensively they're worthless, and you already have Aveline who's tailored specifically to be "The Tank." Male warrior was dull, female mage was alright, female rogue felt the most "right." Male rogue just looked and felt weird (way too bulky to be some agile/sneaky type.) The guy who played male Hawke didn't deliver the more rogue-oriented lines very well. He's definitely more of a "noble" voice than anything else.

And Hawke should have gotten some kind of unique individually-based skill tree (varying by class,) like all of the companions did. Specializations don't count.

Edited by AGX-17

I can agree that the term "action RPG" seems to be in decline. Action RPG was more a distinction between a "standard RPG" in how it plays. The distinction is, perhaps, coming along the lines of narrative vs. open world vs. dungeon crawler.

I don't think genre crossing is bad, though. Just hard. Some of my favourite games cross genres (System Shock 2, Deus Ex). Even within the RPG distinctions he created, I'd consider Fallout: New Vegas to be a hybrid of sand box and narrative, and it's very, very well done.

All that games, System Shock2=>Bioshock, Deus Ex and others, except for Fallout 3 started as Action-RPG hybrids. Problems arise when games start a transition from one genre to another.

Even Fallout was not spared from extensive criticism and accusations of dumbing down the gameplay after release. New Vegas tried to fix it but with new Oblivion engine succeeded only to some extent, sadly.

MzpydUh.gif

DA2 was a fair game on its own but after DAO was a significant letdown.  I haven't bothered checking about DA3 news these days.

I preferred the combat sequence in DAO over the mook waves of DA2, especially the option to have rogues sneak in positions besides enemy glass cannons in advance then tear them apart as my tank charges in to draw aggro ...

There were some parts they did right.  My favourite sidequest in DA2 was Aveline's sidequest in Act 2. First time I played through it I was torn between LOLing and bashing my head against my keyboard!

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p