Anti-Dragon Age 2?

Cultist

I was under the impression that Denerim wasn't even supposed to be that big, they're just a fairly minor kingdom. The opposite for Orzammar.

It was still supposed to be the capital of Ferelden. Even small countries tend to have rather large (comparatively speaking), densely populated capitals. So I don't think Ferelden being small, in comparison to say Orlais, should excuse Denerim from looking like a deserted village square with a handful of merchants and 3 kids running around in one spot. At the very least, Denerim should have had more people meandering about.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

orzammar was awesome. Probably the best dwarven city that i can recall in a CRPG. Denerim was passable but doesn't come close to BIO's best. It might not even make BIO's top 10 cities list...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

orzammar was awesome. Probably the best dwarven city that i can recall in a CRPG. Denerim was passable but doesn't come close to BIO's best. It might not even make BIO's top 10 cities list...

Most definitely.

Actually TOR has some of the best cities I've seen in games. The can still feel a bit underpopulated, but they nailed the size and scope of some of these cool places.

I actually really like TOR's art design for some of the planets. It seemed (perhaps unfortunately) that they got progressively better as the game went on in many cases too. I remember on an early build when speeders were borked and I wasn't using them, so I had to run around Alderaan. Was slow going, but wow was that area ever lovingly created.

• Like 2

I actually really like TOR's art design for some of the planets. It seemed (perhaps unfortunately) that they got progressively better as the game went on in many cases too. I remember on an early build when speeders were borked and I wasn't using them, so I had to run around Alderaan. Was slow going, but wow was that area ever lovingly created.

I liked most planets.

Hoth was great. Tatooine was great. I loved Voss. I enjoyed Nar Shadaa, Coruscant, Balmorra, Korriban and Dromund Kaas (the city and ancient temple part mostly).

The other three starting planets left me kinda indifferent though Hutta had the benefit of the agent personal story and Ord Mantell had me hunting for

my ship

. The jedi one was the one that just could not make me care (the one planet I haven't made it past :) )

I couldn't stand Alderaan. 5 minutes into it I was bored. But that is not really Bioware's fault. I don't see how they could have made "snowy mountain" more interesting than "snowy mountain".

And the theme: good duke fighting evil baron.

I don't know who came up with the original Alderaan story in the EU or wherever, that the poor Bioware writers had to base their concept on. But seriously what is Alderaan supposed to be? A Dune fanfic without desert, spice or worms?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Haha, well, a lot of great and awesome stuff can go down on Alderaan if you're a bounty hunter (I played with a psycho one and it was pretty disturbing). The Jedi Knight quest there was fun as well, and I enjoyed the agent's time there too.

I agree that Tython is a bit underwhelming. Actually IMO it seems pretty evident that the starting planets for the Force classes were the first planets built. Although Korriban is still okay, I still find it weaker.

I don't know about Bounty Hunters. I was a lvl 50 smuggler ( until the smuggler's giggle was violently taken from us ;) If you can put in a good word... I'm willing to bribe you)

One problem I had with Alderaan I guess is that as a completionist, I only had just reached Tatooine when my guildies got to Alderaan. And the LOVED it with underlined, bold capitals. I spend all of Tattooine (which is quite a lot when you are a completionist who also is a Dune fan (put a Dune fan on a desert planet and see if he'll leave)) hearing how fantastic Alderaan is. So beautifull, so wonderfull, greatest zone in an MMO ever.

How could I like it after that? :)

Yes, Tython feels a bit as if the team hadn't really gotten into what would make SWTOR zones SWTOR zones. Taris on the other hand is great.

Korriban. I had fun on there. Playing a completly mad sith'lek.

Though the planet could be terrible and it would still be great for the chance of saying:

"Khem, eat them both"

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Just played that section where you go into the Fade to help Feynriel, where the demon tempts two of your party members into turning on you, and remembered how annoying that part was. I had Merrill and Isabela turn on me, and while Merrill's is understandable (I didn't have max friendship with her), Isabela turning on me with near max friendship and for such a stupid reason was ... well, at the risk of being redundant, stupid.

That was a perfect example of one of DA2's flaws -- it limited your impact on the world in order to tell their story. If the world was more reactive to the player's actions, what should have happened was anyone with a certain amount of approval (friendship) would turn on you, but if you'd managed to get someone's almost full approval, they'd fight the demon's offer.

Just for that, she doesn't know it yet, but I'm turning Isabela in to the Arishok. See how she likes betrayal from someone close for the dumbest of reasons.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just played that section where you go into the Fade to help Feynriel, where the demon tempts two of your party members into turning on you, and remembered how annoying that part was. I had Merrill and Isabela turn on me, and while Merrill's is understandable (I didn't have max friendship with her), Isabela turning on me with near max friendship and for such a stupid reason was ... well, at the risk of being redundant, stupid.

That was a perfect example of one of DA2's flaws -- it limited your impact on the world in order to tell their story. If the world was more reactive to the player's actions, what should have happened was anyone with a certain amount of approval (friendship) would turn on you, but if you'd managed to get someone's almost full approval, they'd fight the demon's offer.

Just for that, she doesn't know it yet, but I'm turning Isabela in to the Arishok. See how she likes betrayal from someone close for the dumbest of reasons.

I like big boats and I cannot lie....sighs...

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

I played through that a couple times and it seemed as though it's just linearly ordered, i.e. first encounter = first companion is tempted/turns on you, second encounter = second companion is tempted/turns on you, third encounter = companions stays with you if friendship is high enough. At least that's how it always worked out for me with multiple characters and playthroughs. Regardless you're preaching to the choir when saying choices don't matter in DA2 (unless it could lead to a sex scene.) ALTHOUGH... Varric never turned on me regardless of where he was placed in party order. Either he's a genuine bro or dwarf magic resistance wasn't a lie.

Semi-Tangent: For the record, the Qunari are the DA world's saving grace (as a fantasy world.) Everything the Arishok says about Kirkwall and Thedas' society in general is right on the money. And of course you're not going to be able to play a Qunari until they make a DA muhmorpuhguh.

Full tangent: By the same vein, the Tevinters are the worst "ancient Rome" equivalent I've ever seen in a fantasy game, and I've seen a lot of goddamn ancient Rome analogues in fantasy games. Too many.

Edited by AGX-17

I played through that a couple times and it seemed as though it's just linearly ordered, i.e. first encounter = first companion is tempted/turns on you, second encounter = second companion is tempted/turns on you, third encounter = companions stays with you if friendship is high enough. At least that's how it always worked out for me with multiple characters and playthroughs. Regardless you're preaching to the choir when saying choices don't matter in DA2 (unless it could lead to a sex scene.) ALTHOUGH... Varric never turned on me regardless of where he was placed in party order. Either he's a genuine bro or dwarf magic resistance wasn't a lie.

I thought Varric could turn on you during that quest it's just that it's not easy to get a low approval rating with him?

Edited by Serrano

I wonder, was it intended to grab that two million fans that deserted BioWare when they found what DA2 turned out to be or Obsidian just wanted to make a "true" wRPG?

What a strange question. Or, perhaps, a strange way to formulate a question... I doubt DA2 even crossed Obsidian's mind when they were making their plans for PE, but what I think you're really asking is whether we think they purposefully picked a type of RPG that isn't really being made anymore to "pull in" gamers who aren't satsfied with today's modern CRPG offerings (like DA2)?

And yes, I think it's very likely that they realized this while planning PE, but I also think they -- and many other developers, including those working for BioWare -- genuinly love the Infinity Engine style of 2D, tactical, group-based CRPG's and really really wanted to make a game like that. And so, recognizing the demand for that type of game (a demand that had existed since long before DA2 was released btw) and seeing an opportunity in Kickstarter to satisfy that demand with a great degree of freedom, without the interference of a publisher, and create a brand new Intellectual Property that they would own all the rights to, they simply went for it. And then it became the most succesful video game kickstarter to date 8)

There is opportunity.. it has to do with situation in a country and the world.. I love style of 2D... and how amazing the world feels with it. Bioware graphics of games like DAO DA2 or MASS EFFECT are okay. I am an artist and I like some of the art aproach of how the elements where executed.. but never been very appealing to my eyes compare to other games. DAO was fun for me ... just for one reason.. it bring old memories and ME1 is a different game and a Best 3d bioware game! thats for my taste.

I thought Varric could turn on you during that quest it's just that it's not easy to get a low approval rating with him?

I dunno, I never bothered to look into it, the mechanics of DA2 were never interesting enough to try to dig into for me.

Regarding the fade and NPCs turning on you... It's not related to the party order, or friendship/rivalry (though it does provide another scene with dialogue for easy boosts in friendship/rivalry points). It's just a priority list per demon; the character who's highest on that list and in your party always turns on you. Only Anders and Sebastian don't turn, the quest plays differently for them.

I might have to check out that no-peragus thing. Does it work with TSLRCM?

Yup.

The downside (IMO) is the author gives you a bunch of overpowered items with it, like a lightsaber. But if you mind it like me you can just grind them to components.

Actually TOR has some of the best cities I've seen in games. The can still feel a bit underpopulated, but they nailed the size and scope of some of these cool places.

Sadly enough, that same scope makes it a drag to play sometimes as you keep running and running and running through these same empty places. Especially Nar Shaddaa had that :(

Was slow going, but wow was that area ever lovingly created.

Yup. Which makes it doubly shameful it's completely devoid of meaning. Barely stores, no quests. There are dozens of quests on the sandbank (Tatooine) but next to none there? And then all in the countryside, none in the beautiful city?

Quest design and area design obviously didn't work together, or these kind of mistakes couldn't have been made :/

Yes, Tython feels a bit as if the team hadn't really gotten into what would make SWTOR zones SWTOR zones. Taris on the other hand is great.

Zbyl and I (we play the campaign together) unanomiously agreed we absolutely hated Taris, and were glad when we could finally leave it.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Zbyl and I (we play the campaign together) unanomiously agreed we absolutely hated Taris, and were glad when we could finally leave it.

(Republic) Taris and Alderaan (for both sides) are the two planets that created that sensation in me.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Given the splash art, it looks like a Cullen fangirl's page.

Alan can you please kill him in the next game? I'll buy it I swear if you do it.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Allright who do I send the bill to for cleaning the vomit off my screen from reading that?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!