Elaborate ownership of stores and other assets

I do understand that it is a cRPG and not a trading game. But could it be possible to own stores and participate to their success in a limited capacity in order to have a steady source of income?

I've always liked to loose a few hours of gameplay on this kind of stuff. That or an elaborate crafting system.

• Like 3

I'd like to see some portion of this in the stronghold (setting up a trading post sort of thing for wandering adventurers? Or maybe just a place where passing traders can come, rest and peddle before setting out again.)

Yep I agree, this kind of thing would be neat to have in our strongholds.

• Like 1

True, but I would hope for more of a chance every time you arrive at your keep (or every so-many hours/days) there is a chance there is a new stock, or perhaps you could tell the merchants you're looking for a particular item, and have them keep an eye out (with a bit of a mark up). I imagine it will depend strongly on how much of the loot in the game is pre-determined and how much is pseudo-random. I base my thoughts on a very good kingmaker (pen and paper) campaign I played once, where we built a couple of shops in our town, and then upgraded one so basically every month it had a new low-level magic item (or equivalent, by price bracket) arrive, provided the old one was purchased.) It made for some fun times, and some strong hoping. Almost all of the loot in the campaign was dice-roll based, however. Nothing like killing a troll chieften, and finding his prized chest contained a set, well made flail, and a folding boat.

As long as we're keeping out of Storm of Zehir territory, managing a little trading outpost or a store might be a fun diversion. After all, we're bound to end up slaughtering whole bands of brigands, so surely leaving massive hoards of plundered goods for the wolves would be a waste. Why not put them to good use?

Capitalism, ho!

If they were doing this they could make it so that you could just tell the store manager to do what he thinks best, this would give the game a heads up that you aren't interested in micro-managing a trade game. The income could be a lot less than if you micro manage well but possibly be more than if you micro manage badly.

Just thinking of options, I don't want to be forced into micro management if I'm not interested. It might be interesting to see those 10 studded leather armor you just returned with appear on mannequins in the store as soon as you hand them over.

The NWN2 original campaign allowed you to build up a couple of stores in the stronghold. I can't say it was all that thrilling.

The whole thing was pretty bare bones, it lacked the filling that would make it worth while. I'm sure that if they dedicate enough resources it would be quite fun to play with the economy and the few appropriate quests that could be mixed in.

But then again I don't know if this is relevant enough to pay mind to with the limited budget the devs have.

Probably something for the modders to expand on, especially so if the relevant ground work has already been laid.

Edited by LongestSprout

Depends on the level of realism you want in PE.

If it was an optional mini-game whose development wouldn't detract from core game/narrative/character development elements then why not ?

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

Personally, if the stronghold has stores, I'd like to see each store request that the player provide them with specific items, and accept his/her request for specific ones. No need to build a mini-Recettear inside the game; simple interaction with stores that are already in place ought to suffice.

I would prefer not, honestly. Seems a little 'sim-y'. Games that try to let you do everything often end up doing nothing particularly well (for example Fable, Skyrim, GTAIV). If it's optional and doesn't take much development capital, fine, but I think they should focus as much as possible on the core stuff: story, combat, character building, and exploration.

Edited by SunBroSolaire

I would prefer not, honestly. Seems a little 'sim-y'. Games that try to let you do everything often end up doing nothing particularly well (for example Fable, Skyrim, GTAIV). If it's optional and doesn't take much development capital, fine, but I think they should focus as much as possible on the core stuff: story, combat, character building, and exploration.

I get that, but we have already had it revealed to us that there will be player housing and a stronghold - though they may be one in the same. I'd at least like some ability to vary the stronghold a bit.

My opinion rests on how they did such a feature.

If they did it similar to how Fable handles it, never ever would I want this feature. AKA: Buy property A, choose a level of rent (Low, normal, high) and then forever get income from said property while never having to put in anymore effort into it either resource or time wise, including picking up the rent. Then once you get enough money from it, buy property B, now you have income from property A and B and just repeat until you own every available property in the game, then buy whatever you want from simply leaving the game idle. Never ever would I want this.

If they require you to actually put resources back into whatever property you hold, whether that's bringing reagents, materials and items to the store you own to facilitate it having a stock (Could be an option to buy from crafters potentially to take care of at least part of the stock), spending time on upkeeping of households you are renting out and collecting rent with potential cool dialogue options/NPC interactions/events occuring when you do. This would be fun and interesting to me. This would also take more development time than adding the Fable-esque option though, and I rather just not have this altogether if that's what it's going to end up being.

I get that, but we have already had it revealed to us that there will be player housing and a stronghold - though they may be one in the same. I'd at least like some ability to vary the stronghold a bit.

Last I checked they explicitely said player housing and the stronghold would be two separate entities. Likely meaning you would at some point early in the game acquire housing and then later on you would get the stronghold.

As for varying the stronghold, options like this could be very fun and interesting, but again, if it boils down to "buy X, then forever receive periodic income of Y" then no thanks.

Edited by HereticSaint

Ah, I hadn't seen such a distinction made. Still, I think it is something they should balance well - as neat as a merchant recruiting/etc function would be, I think we all want it to be a relatively minor aspect of the game. I recall some fun times with NWN: Kingmaker premium module, but even that was rather story driven, and I think it lost out because some of the story suffered from the over-focus on management. I also don't know that the operations of the stronghold should be so bound to character class (as I imagine just about any such stronghold would have some sort of logistics officer), but maybe a set number of alternatives and/or space limitations. I do like the idea that the player character, if he/she wants a decent cut of the profits, has to contribute regularly - whether it be gold, items, or perhaps protecting the caravans to other locations.