A New Vampire for Eternity

How about, just no vampires at all? Because they're lame and I end up rolling my eyes everytime a vampire shows up. Absolutely the lamest and least interesting of mainstream cliche monsters out there. I'm certain I'm not alone.

Come up with something else instead. Here: A crazy soul eating monstrosity thing, that takes power from consuming multiple souls into itself, growing more twisted and powerful and insane with each soul it devours and imprisons. That's cool, that's original, that works with Project Eternity. I'd much rather see that than some... probably would totally offend people that like vampires opinion I have of the stupid things.

Edited by Frenetic Pony

You guys realize that there are more kinds of vampires than the ones from Dracula, right? And that the myth has taken many forms throughout history?

As just an example: Eastern European vampires start as shadows, use the blood they drain to turn into boneless masses, and eventually congeal into a human form. They also take wives and mistresses, and, IIRC, their children's part vampire nature makes them excellent vampire hunters.

It just seems like any vampire myth that's not straight out of Victorian England is being shot down.

That's pretty cool stuff. Where can I read about it? (Eastern European vampire folklore that is)

IMHO all the people using their own versions of vampires are what finally lead to the Twilight vampires, because no one is happy with using the well-known vampire mythos as is anymore and everyone wants to put their own spin on it. At this point, it'd be more original and interesting if a game didn't go Our vampires Are Different (Warning: that's a link to TV Tropes).

I'd be absolutely fine with going back to more ancient vampire myths on the other hand. Dracula isn't the end all be all of vampire myths after all. But inventing a new spin to put on vampires at this point just seems superflous.

Edited by Brother Pain

I hope Vampires are in PE. I would love to battle a really hot Vampiress who inflicts one of your party members with Vampirism and you need to find a cure before they turn into one of the eternal creatures of the night

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't think I'll ever be able to play another game as a Vampire.... I use to think they were cool (Dracula, Blade) but then 50 Shades Of Gray and Twilight have for ever more scarred me....

Serious note - Nice concept. Vampires like everything else in a fantasy settings will all depend on where you want to take your source material from and how you want to base it. I like the really old folklore around them, shape changers, stronger and faster but inherently evil because they kill to survive.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

You guys realize that there are more kinds of vampires than the ones from Dracula, right? And that the myth has taken many forms throughout history?

As just an example: Eastern European vampires start as shadows, use the blood they drain to turn into boneless masses, and eventually congeal into a human form. They also take wives and mistresses, and, IIRC, their children's part vampire nature makes them excellent vampire hunters.

It just seems like any vampire myth that's not straight out of Victorian England is being shot down.

That's pretty cool stuff. Where can I read about it? (Eastern European vampire folklore that is)

I just jumped on Wikipedia. ;)

As long as the vampires do NOT glow in daylight, I am good :D

If this weren't a high fantasy game or if Obsidian want to be sarcastic, it would be pretty funny if they have these "soul vampire" that are basically the "social vampire" we met in real life that suck the will to live from all around :p

The modern literary vanity of vampire, drawn from Victorian sensibilities of an aristocratic foreigner, is not the typical vampire of folklore. Vampires were typically messy, bloating corpses that savaged their victims and existed due to unhallowed circumstance, usually due to irreligious behavior in life or non-sanctified burial. Also, there are many folkloric creatures categorized as vampire or vampiric that operate similarly to the normal vampire that drain a victim of blood and even devour its flesh in addition. I see no great difference between the vampire I describe and the many types of vampire that operate in folklore. The original vampire isn't a singular description and would occasionally devour portions of its prey.

Your concept seems interesting, but why call it a vampire when it isn't a vampire? Why not use a unique name for them instead of going the Meyer route(which is basically claiming that diamond golems are vampires)?

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Isn't that just a chupacabra?

Vampires are overdone. I say that about everything in these threads, but I really mean it this time. I remember how vampire fetishists got all whiny because Oblivion's vampires weren't sexy looking (which is odd considering everyone looked like butt in the worst way possible in Oblivion.) I have to give credit to Bioware for not having vampires in Dragon Age (that I can remember, anyway.) They're parasites, they should be as disgusting and skin-crawling as any tapeworm, bloated tick or those creepy things that eat a fish's tongue and then live in its mouth like a replacement tongue.

Edited by AGX-17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFiLNc46jAM

My favorite portrayal of vampires in video games. They can be cool dammit!

Yeah I liked Soul Reaver as well and it could fit nicely to PE. I dont remeber it too much but he was 'classic' vampire, they cast him away and he become 'Soul Vampire' and hunt other vampires? Anyway it was great game

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The modern literary vanity of vampire, drawn from Victorian sensibilities of an aristocratic foreigner, is not the typical vampire of folklore. Vampires were typically messy, bloating corpses that savaged their victims and existed due to unhallowed circumstance, usually due to irreligious behavior in life or non-sanctified burial. Also, there are many folkloric creatures categorized as vampire or vampiric that operate similarly to the normal vampire that drain a victim of blood and even devour its flesh in addition. I see no great difference between the vampire I describe and the many types of vampire that operate in folklore. The original vampire isn't a singular description and would occasionally devour portions of its prey.

Your concept seems interesting, but why call it a vampire when it isn't a vampire? Why not use a unique name for them instead of going the Meyer route(which is basically claiming that diamond golems are vampires)?

Why did you quote me exactly? Since you don't respond to anything I said, you're confusing me a bit. Unless the paragraph above is a response to me? In which case I'm aware of that the victorian vampires weren't quite the same as it's various folklore origins(which had plenty of stupid things on their own). Also don't forget asian vampires which are basically hopping zombies. :p

Isn't that just a chupacabra?

Vampires are overdone. I say that about everything in these threads, but I really mean it this time. I remember how vampire fetishists got all whiny because Oblivion's vampires weren't sexy looking (which is odd considering everyone looked like butt in the worst way possible in Oblivion.) I have to give credit to Bioware for not having vampires in Dragon Age (that I can remember, anyway.) They're parasites, they should be as disgusting and skin-crawling as any tapeworm, bloated tick or those creepy things that eat a fish's tongue and then live in its mouth like a replacement tongue.

I only recall people getting pissed about Oblivion vampires because they didn't make a lick of sense game mechanically and were pretty much broken as far as I could tell(getting weaker due to drinking blood? Really? Makes no sense to me). 'course I never got involved into those discussions myself so I only have a vague view on the discussion that went on.

Also the Dragon Age setting does have vampires. They just haven't been shown in the games yet.

• Like 1
image-163149-full.jpg

If vampires must be included, then make them diffrent from generic, vamps. make them lovecraftian mist like parasites, or maybe just a zombies that were more altered then normal undead so that they can drink blood, or maybe go back all the way to the roots and make them beast like creatures, borderlining on being confused with werewolves

To add to the discussion, I don't understand why we should hate the idea of sparkling vampire because some lousy books are using it. In fact we should embrace them, because they are proven popular (or notorious) and improve that formula.

For example, bring sparkling vampires in-game as a shoutout or a joke, like make them a unique subspecies of vampires.

But as a twist, make them likeable, three dimensional characters that are not wimps in general. Rabid Twilight fans can't say "rip-off" because these vampires are unique, very little in number, and obviously a shout out.

Best case scenario, Eternity might also attract Twilight fans, which equals profit. Role playing fans in general will also appreciate the three dimensional character. Also, Eternity will be known as the first game that get sparkling vampires right. Win-win-win!

To add to the discussion, I don't understand why we should hate the idea of sparkling vampire because some lousy books are using it. In fact we should embrace them, because they are proven popular (or notorious) and improve that formula.

For example, bring sparkling vampires in-game as a shoutout or a joke, like make them a unique subspecies of vampires.

But as a twist, make them likeable, three dimensional characters that are not wimps in general. Rabid Twilight fans can't say "rip-off" because these vampires are unique, very little in number, and obviously a shout out.

Best case scenario, Eternity might also attract Twilight fans, which equals profit. Role playing fans in general will also appreciate the three dimensional character. Also, Eternity will be known as the first game that get sparkling vampires right. Win-win-win!

But this vampires, will proboblt not serve as npc, or companions but as monsters, so in the end if sparkling vampires will be includead even as a eater egg, project eternity, will be forver marked as that game that bashe stupid old unpopular teen book,

But this vampires, will proboblt not serve as npc, or companions but as monsters, so in the end if sparkling vampires will be includead even as a eater egg, project eternity, will be forver marked as that game that bashe stupid old unpopular teen book,

Then why must this vampire be a monster o.O?

It could be joke NPCs, or story-related character with his/her mini-episode. Just because Obsidian use Twilight formula, doesn't mean they have to bash Twilight with it. My suggested goal is to attract Twilight fans for the money after all :)

Then why must this vampire be a monster o.O?

It could be joke NPCs, or story-related character with his/her mini-episode. Just because Obsidian use Twilight formula, doesn't mean they have to bash Twilight with it. My suggested goal is to attract Twilight fans for the money after all :)

Yeah I know but if this is just minor, character, than it will not atract anyone not even the most crazy twilight fan will buy a game just because there is a minor npc that is twilight like , besides, twilight fans don't like twili vamps because they sparkle they like them because they are hot, in that case just ad another hot male companion, make him bad boy to boot, and boom there will be fangirls, ther will be ....

Maybe not too minor then, or for even more lulz, blend Edward with Jacob XD

A ripped, chaste sparkling vampire black knight... that spends most of his time shirtless...

Technicly at the begin of vampire folk tales vampires and werewolves were the same thing soo ... :dancing:

I like vampires as abominations, as they always were, sure victorian era romantiscised them abit, gentlemen killer, but still an abomination. There will always be someone more afraid of death and wanting to be vampire. Or what better way to curse good soul by condeming them to such life. So yes, have vampire in, just not playable character.

magic021.jpg