Puzzled by the main concept of the game....

Personally I think the question of your own 'choice' vs. being determined by your soul is kind of moot, just as I think the whole determinism vs. free will debate is kind of meaningless. IMO you are free to decide what you want but given that what you are is a part of a deterministic system your free choice is also deterministic. That your self in PE also includes a soul doesn't change that. I guess some people might choose to view their soul as not being part of their selves*, but I can't imagine it being common and I personally sure wouldn't (but then I believe the idea of a self is an idea of a system and that it like all system what is considered external and external to the system is basically arbitrary, so I guess on a philosophical level I'd say the idea of a self is an illusion).

*Like how some people sometimes view what most would consider parts of themselves as external at times, like f.ex. you can view your sex-drive as an almost external influence driving you to do a bunch of stupid ****.

Edited by limaxophobiacq
  • Like 1

I didn't know human skull bone came in the 5 inch thick variety. The only one in this thread that is "off" is you Darth.

The solution to your initial puzzlement is clear: Do not let your ingrained personal belief system factor into your suspension of disbelief when it comes to enjoying fantasy realms. If it doesn't make sense to you, that doesn't mean something is wrong with it. No matter how many people bring up this exact notion, it soars miles over your head every time. When people try to inform you politely and delicately tip toe around the elephant in the room, you call them out for being "off"?? Get over yourself. As mentioned before, as long as the lore is consistent within its own internal logic, anything you take issue with is subjective READ: not a universal flaw that everyone should obviously recognize. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Now I know you will most likely perceive this as a personal attack and your defenses will go up and you will read what your ego wants to see and resist any form of help in blind defiance needing to get the last word in on the matter for your pride. Oh well, ya can't win them all.

Another example of this kind of display:

The Dune series have a theme of ancestral egos (albeit produced by ingestion of a drug) sometimes at war with a person's free will - I wonder if there will be similar themes here.

exactly, when I heard of this soul thing, I imagined something like the bene gesserit in dune with all the ancestral voices and stuff, the possession etc

I didn't know human skull bone came in the 5 inch thick variety. The only one in this thread that is "off" is you Darth.

EDUCATE YOURSELF.

Now I know you will most likely perceive this as a personal attack and your defenses will go up and you will read what your ego wants to see and resist any form of help in blind defiance needing to get the last word in on the matter for your pride. Oh well, ya can't win them all.

It is a personal attack and highly judgemental. You are focusing on me as the person rather than the discussion at hand. I am proposing what I believe to be a better way to go about it in a respectful manner. I have a complete right to do that. I do not expect obsidian to change anything based on my opinions but I do hope they are read and considered. If you want to discuss the topic please be my guest otherwise ignore the thread. Don't like it? Report it if something is wrong or stay out.

1zq6793.jpg

Personally I think the question of your own 'choice' vs. being determined by your soul is kind of moot, just as I think the whole determinism vs. free will debate is kind of meaningless. IMO you are free to decide what you want but given that what you are is a part of a deterministic system your free choice is also deterministic. That your self in PE also includes a soul doesn't change that. I guess some people might choose to view their soul as not being part of their selves*, but I can't imagine it being common and I personally sure wouldn't (but then I believe the idea of a self is an idea of a system and that it like all system what is considered external and external to the system is basically arbitrary, so I guess on a philosophical level I'd say the idea of a self is an illusion).

*Like how some people sometimes view what most would consider parts of themselves as external at times, like f.ex. you can view your sex-drive as an almost external influence driving you to do a bunch of stupid ****.

I do enjoy the discussion of determinism versus free will and to really answer that I think we'd need to have a good understanding of our own subconscious.....it would be an interesting topic for PE to explore I think as well as the nature of the soul-self dilemma.

1zq6793.jpg