The Obsidian Order of Eternity wants YOU! part 6

You see? There the fun begins!

Well "Kerfluffle" should be easy: It's just like Fluffle, just with a "Ker" left to it -> Kerfluffle

Then we have "pogus": which I pronounce like "bogus", just with "p" -> pogus

So we have: Kerfluffle - u - pogus

And now you guys got me...

How to pronounce that nasty "u" in the middle?

I pronounce it [ʌ], i.e. I pronounce "Kerfluffleupogus" [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlʌpəgəs].

You probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm OK with that.

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

You see? There the fun begins!

Well "Kerfluffle" should be easy: It's just like Fluffle, just with a "Ker" left to it -> Kerfluffle

Then we have "pogus": which I pronounce like "bogus", just with "p" -> pogus

So we have: Kerfluffle - u - pogus

And now you guys got me...

How to pronounce that nasty "u" in the middle?

I pronounce it [ʌ], i.e. I pronounce "Kerfluffleupogus" [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlʌpəgəs].

You probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm OK with that.

"Kerfluffleupogus" [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlʌpəgəs]

You pronounce the last "u" the same way as the last "o" - why?

I would say either [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlju:pəʊgəs] or [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlʌpəʊgəs]

or for American English: either [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlju:poʊgəs] or [kəɹˌflʌfəˈlʌpoʊgəs]

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

OMG you know what I'm talking about!!1!

I pronounce the "-pogus" like [pəgəs] because of analogy with similarly constructed words, such as "hippopotamus" (where "-tamus" is pronounced [təməs]).

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

I really do need to learn that bizarre and obscure runic language.

It seems that every person I know in real life has learned it in school, but I never got to be that lucky.

You're talking about IPA? I didn't learn it in school, I learned it on teh intrenets.

Here.

Edited by Veeno

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

Whom do i need to smack if i was missed out? http://forums.obsidi...4/page__st__380

Me, but my guess is you don't really want to know what pain I can inflict with a simple broom. :bat::brows:

Won't happen again and the deadline doesn't count for them who have registered their claim before but have been forgotten. :)

Edited by Farudan

Eternity Gazette (german news about PE)

OMG you know what I'm talking about!!1!

I pronounce the "-pogus" like [pəgəs] because of analogy with similarly constructed words, such as "hippopotamus" (where "-tamus" is pronounced [təməs]).

You see, I pronounce "-pogus" like [pəʊgəs] because of a similar word, namely "bogus" which is pronouced [bəʊgəs]

We need to find out who invented the name, he has the right to choose the pronunciation - artistic licence you know :)

@DocDoom

I'm not that familiar with phonetic spelling either. Didn't learn it @school

Just looked it up on the internet like Veeno xD

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Woot..... Thread 6 , we are a talkative bunch aren't we. lol :D

Also, welcome to all the new members.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

You see, I pronounce "-pogus" like [pəʊgəs] because of a similar word, namely "bogus" which is pronouced [bəʊgəs]

We need to find out who invented the name, he has the right to choose the pronunciation - artistic licence you know :)

That's not really consistent, because "bogus" is a word on its own whereas "pogus" in "Kerfluffleupogus" is a part of the suffix "-upogus" (as you yourself dissected it: ker- + fluffle + -upogus), hence "o" in "bogus" is accentuated while "o" un "-upogus" isn't. In English, most non-accentuated vowels reduce to schwa (ə).

There are a lot of examples in English where a similar or even the exact same set of syllables changes pronunciation (usually vowels getting reduced to schwa) based on whether it's a word on its own or a part of another word. The most obvious example, compare pronunciation of "cycle" with "bicycle" and the pronunciation of "finite" with "infinite".

Edited by Veeno

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

I've just realised I'm talking about linguistics while discussing the pronunciation of "Kerfluffleupogus".

Ah, life.

*slurps juice*

• Like 2

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

Hope I get accepted...Sunday is approaching really fast. :blink:

As long as you raised your pledge by the $8 and posted your chosen unique title, your gold.

• Like 1

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Ah ok, at this point your english skills exceed mine. I thought of "pogus" as a suffix for its own. The "u" between

"Ker-fluffle u pogus"(I actually dissected it this way) was just a link for me, to connect Kerfluffle with pogus, because Kerflufflepogus wouldn't sound as good.

You see in my mother tongue (which is not english) that wouldn't have any effect on how to pronounce pogus.

But always nice to learn new stuff, especially on an example as this. :)

Just to be clear: Would Kerflufflepogus be pronouced the same way as Kerfluffleupogus? (in regard to the "pogus" at the end)

Edited by Fluffle

Ah ok, at this point your english skills exceed mine. I thought of "pogus" as a suffix for its own. The "u" between

"Ker-fluffle u pogus"(I actually dissected it this way) was just a link for me, to connect Kerfluffle with pogus, because Kerflufflepogus wouldn't sound as good.

You see in my mother tongue (which is not english) that wouldn't have any effect on how to pronounce pogus.

But always nice to learn new stuff, especially on an example as this. :)

Don't worry, you have excellent English skills for a marshmallow! XD

Just to be clear: Would Kerflufflepogus be pronouced the same way as Kerfluffleupogus? (in regard to the "pogus" at the end)

"Kerflufflepogus"? That... doesn't even seem pronouncable (by English pronunciation rules). That would probably just be two words and would require a hyphen between them (kerfluffle-pogus) and, in that case, "pogus" would indeed probably be pronounced like "bogus" with a "p".

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

That's not really consistent, because "bogus" is a word on its own whereas "pogus" in "Kerfluffleupogus" is a part of the suffix "-upogus" (as you yourself dissected it: ker- + fluffle + -upogus), hence "o" in "bogus" is accentuated while "o" un "-upogus" isn't. In English, most non-accentuated vowels reduce to schwa (ə).

There are a lot of examples in English where a similar or even the exact same set of syllables changes pronunciation (usually vowels getting reduced to schwa) based on whether it's a word on its own or a part of another word. The most obvious example, compare pronunciation of "cycle" with "bicycle" and the pronunciation of "finite" with "infinite".

How bout you just say it in a way that everyone can understand :p

Ker - fluff - ul - UP - a - gus :banana:

Edit: Why are we arguing pronunciation semantics in regards to an imaginary marshmallow monster? lol

Edited by Gensou
  • Like 1
Gensou_Banner.jpg

... So this is what the Order is getting up to nowadays. hmmm ^__^

Forsooth, young chap!

In order to order things in the proper order, the order of orders in the Order must be very orderly!

I have no idea what I just said.

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

o_o

Must... glomp... fluffy pink marshmallow!!

*FLYING TACKLE* :D

Umm... I'm not exactly the most rule-abiding of us myself but wouldn't eating another member of the Order be in somewhat of a bad taste? (*da-bum-tshhh*) And why does that drumset always seem to follow me? Makes sneaking freakishly hard.

Forsooth, young chap!

In order to order things in the proper order, the order of orders in the Order must be very orderly!

I have no idea what I just said.

Verily my friend.

Edited by Hertzila
  • Like 1

Is it too late to join? I added $8 to my pledge a while ago but forgot to ask to join.

Just encase it isn't too late, I'd like to be the Lord Commissar, or Colonel-Commissar.

But if it's too late, I wont be sad. Seriously...

Edited by drake heath