Do you like to see some "weird" companions?

Do you like to see some "weird" companions?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to see some "weird" companions?

• Yes, I want to have 2 or 3 unique companions in my team.
    • Yes. But one special companion is enough for me.
    • No. I hate weird guys.

If anyone knows their Warhammer 40k, and knows what I mean about a "blunt" or pariah, that is essentially what I want; a sort of anti-magic companion (think decent level of spell resistance) only this sort of off-puts even the lay person simply because on a subconcious level most people sense some magical energy (depending on the pervasive level of magic). Using the soul dynamic, it would be a companion with no soul, only maybe not so dramatic, or a soul devourer (though not as brutal).

I don't know much about Warhammer. But,a companion with no soul? Cool!!!

Well, I had a lengthy response, and then my browser crashed. Blunts are rare individuals that, varying by age, genetics and practice can extert either a personal sort of anti-psychic field, or an extended on, either with varying effectiveness. Mechanically, it is a bit like the spell mantle spells, only as a supernatural ability, with some anti-divination or nondetection added in. The caveat is the vast majority of humans (95+%) in the setting have some psychic sense, the majority on some subconcious level. This means encountering someone who creates a sort of null zone in that sense causes anything from a sense of danger, an uncomfortable feeling, olfactory hallucinations and maybe more. Pariahs are the super-rare who can devour psychic energy, and are understandably legendary. More common are pariah-imitation gear, which is of course very rare, but absorbs a certain portion of psychic energy and might even redirect it. A companion like that would be neat, I think. Or one who has lost their "core" or soul, or maybe never had one.

Oh, God. Too many diffcult words for me^_^b Let me find some Chinese Warhammer information first...

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Uh... I think someone from OE said that these 5 are not necessarily companions. So there might be more room for strange party members.

Not necessarily? I think all the 8 should be not necessarily. Of course OE will allow solo play in PE.

He means that they aren't necessarily available as companions. As in some of them may be regular ol' NPCs that can't join your party. =P

Really? Did OE said that?

I will consider this as a good news...

If it is a bit easier to understand, blunts effectively have spell resistance that increases at they gain experience - to a limit. This applies to direct spells as well as detection spells. Pariahs are like the soul devourer from Mask of the Betrayer - they eat magic. There are social implications which might make things more interesting still, but I think having one companion who seems protected from magic in some way might be helpful. To balance it out, they could scale to level, and give him a Xan personality type.

Uh... I think someone from OE said that these 5 are not necessarily companions. So there might be more room for strange party members.

Nah I think there was a bit of a miscommunication there. I do remember that thread though.

hmm... Well, whatever.

I like weird companions, I don't think having one of the native races will necessarily be as weird as something rarer(though that might reach clichés) though. And from what I understand Godlikes don't have to have a weird appearance, it depends on the God, so one of the guys we see may already be one. So I like weird looking companions, but I would care more if their personalities and past were the biggest mystery despite the appearance. Someone might be something else in disguise, or they may have been somewhere "strange" that might have affected them. Or they might not even be of the "living" world. And from what Avellone's last interview said; their souls previous bodies might have been weird or somewhere! That last part I would like to see. A lot! 8)

Edited by kenup

If it is a bit easier to understand, blunts effectively have spell resistance that increases at they gain experience - to a limit. This applies to direct spells as well as detection spells. Pariahs are like the soul devourer from Mask of the Betrayer - they eat magic. There are social implications which might make things more interesting still, but I think having one companion who seems protected from magic in some way might be helpful. To balance it out, they could scale to level, and give him a Xan personality type.

Hmm..it could be a interesting setting,which depends on how the magic Mechanism setted by OE.

For me, I perfer some elder races, who can awaken a sercet chapter in history, which make the background deeper.

I'm not clear that I fully understand the full motivations for wanting 'weird' companions. Is it just a desire for the exotic or mysterious? Do you just like quirky, eccentric behavior, or do you really want strange capabilities? I mean I'm a big sci-fi fan, but truly alien species are just plain difficult to write well, and equally hard to comprehend. Trying to role-play them properly may be impossible for us humans.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's clear that Obsidian has the chops to pull off weird and wacky companions and make them interesting. I mean, they don't get much weirder and wackier than Lily Bowen, and they certainly managed to make her an interesting and fun to have around companion. Isn't that right, Jimmy?

Lily.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

We cannot be certain those guys are going to be companion NPCs. What we can know is that unique and appealing flavor is all in dialogue (although it's sometimes in AI behavior).

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I like weird companions because generally speaking they also have stories as interesting as they are weird. That said they also need to fit the world. If Nordom, Morte, or Ignus were in fallout 2 they would have simply been stupid and out of place. So yes weird and unique characters please, but not just for the sake of being weird and outlandish.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I haven't played Planescape Torment, so obviously, i don't know the companions in that game. But considering that there is only 8 companions, i'll prefer if most of them is normal/humanoid. I voted "No. I hate weird guys." but i should probably have voted "Yes. But one special companion is enough for me." I prefer Humans, Elves and Dwarfs over Dogs and Golems as companions.

I like characters with unique (or oddball, or weird etc) personalities/quirks. I don't necessarily care about them being non-humanoid in appearance one way or another, especially for an isometric game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One or two of the godlike or elsewise non-standard races will be plenty. Sigil was the portal nexus of the multiverse, so weirdos galore was the rule of the day. Unless we're looking at some sort of Sigil analogue in P:E, a party approaching what was possible in Planescape: Torment would be a travelling freak show guaranteed to attract too much attention from local authorities to accomplish much of anything.

Besides, how am I supposed to be "special" when everyone else is just as "special"? :p

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Wait, wait, wait.

Has it been confirmed that these 'iconic' concept art characters are going to be our companions? If so, send a link. I thought they are just intended to be 'iconic' representatives of the classes, much like Torgar or Redgar or Lidda or whatever they're called in D&D. Just concept art to show of how a sort of typical member of the class would look, not actually our companions.

Edited by Greensleeve