New Game plus  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of new game plus mode?

• yay
    • nay
    • ambivalent

For a recent example, Borderlands 2's "True Vault Hunter Mode" allows you to start from the beginning with a character who just finished the main storyline (there is post-game play for DLC purposes and finishing side missions, as well.) It simply increases the levels of all the enemies and areas you encounter (the base game has no level scaling, but DLC does.) By the end of TVHM you're dealing with enemies who are several levels above the 50 cap, so it can get close to undoable without help from friends or overpowered, super-rare gear (for which ingenious players have found ways to grind for in a game designed to prevent grinding.)

BL2 actually has a decent EXP/growth model. Almost all the EXP gained is from questing (missions, they don't want to sound like a fantasy game for nerds ahawhaw,) and bosses. Normal enemies, no matter how tough, only award paltry amounts of experience, and effectively zero if they're below your current level.

Edited by AGX-17

There's really no reason to not allow importing leveled up characters.

It doesn't hurt those who don't want to do it.

If it takes time from developing other things to develop an export / import system, that could be an argument against it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

New game+ is something I personally never understood. I love beginning a new game with a new character to start from scratch. Hell, I'll probably start 5 new characters just to test them and will probably half way switch to another one given my track record.

The fun from my perspective is to start *without* your equipment and skills. To start fresh and try new things. This is opposite of new game+.

I won't have anything against the game if it has one, but personally, I guess I don't 'get' it.

I rather they don't spend time making the game work a second time with the same party (seriously, why, if the game is made for making a new party?)... as that would take a lot of time away from making the game function properly first time around and adding more content there.

I wouldn't object to a new quest or so unlocking your second game, but that should just be based on having finished the game, not using a character again...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

• New Game+ = starting the game with the equipment and level from your last play-through at a higher difficulty.

Adding NG+ is essentially a way of re-starting of the game, for people who don't want to abandon all their precious loot & experience. The problem this opens up for a game like PE, which has barely any item randomization, is that you will simply find the same equipment over again in a NG+ environment... unless they'd artificially improve each item by, say, +1 when playing NG+. Which would just suck and be quite non-immersive.

That's the thing, why do you have to start with the same equipment? What with the souls and all, there could be an element of minor "story" and/or lore which is only unlockable or revealed on the second playthrough (cryptic questions that you couldn't answer on your first playthrough). The equipment you crafted and named yourself now drops in your second playthrough (late-game). I would like to see a New Game+ which is a fresh New Game from the very beginning (with level 1) where you don't have all the gear and loot from your previous game, but perhaps you get a slightly quicker start (as an option) to start at level 2 or perhaps even level 3 (outrageous!).

Perhaps there could be a secret dungeon that didn't exist, but in this parallel universe (2nd Playthrough/New Game+) it exists.

There is a JRPG that I played recently which has 3 branching main plots and customizable NG+ options (carry over levels, carry over items, carry over gold, carry over achievement unlocks, enable NG+ maps, enable NG+ quests). The replayability for it was great since on each NG+, there are additional characters and maps and quests you can unlock that are only available in a NG+ (and additional new unlocks for the 3rd playthrough) as well as benefits such as armor benefits (1st playthrough you can choose 1/3 bonuses for an armor upgrade, 2nd playthrough you can choose 2, third playthrough 3).

From another thread I posted in. I would like a NG+ if there were a reason for replaying the game aside from "trying a different playstyle". It doesn't have to be major diverging storylines, but additional side quests, bonus areas, etc. would be nice.

Edited by limith

• New Game+ = starting the game with the equipment and level from your last play-through at a higher difficulty.

Adding NG+ is essentially a way of re-starting of the game, for people who don't want to abandon all their precious loot & experience. The problem this opens up for a game like PE, which has barely any item randomization, is that you will simply find the same equipment over again in a NG+ environment... unless they'd artificially improve each item by, say, +1 when playing NG+. Which would just suck and be quite non-immersive.

That's the thing, why do you have to start with the same equipment? What with the souls and all, there could be an element of minor "story" and/or lore which is only unlockable or revealed on the second playthrough (cryptic questions that you couldn't answer on your first playthrough). The equipment you crafted and named yourself now drops in your second playthrough (late-game). I would like to see a New Game+ which is a fresh New Game from the very beginning (with level 1) where you don't have all the gear and loot from your previous game, but perhaps you get a slightly quicker start (as an option) to start at level 2 or perhaps even level 3 (outrageous!).

Perhaps there could be a secret dungeon that didn't exist, but in this parallel universe (2nd Playthrough/New Game+) it exists.

I wouldn't mind such an option for NG+, but then, why not simply spend that time and effort on making the base game that much better?

A NG+ option as you described it could, potentially, make for a great addition in an expansion pack, or major content patch. It'd be a fairly cheap way of somewhat refreshing the experience of playing through the original game, and it'd give you a reason to play the game from the start before getting to the expansion content (assuming expansion content is available at the end of the game).

I still can't help thinking that their limited time would be better spent working on quests & dungeons available in the base game, making that reason enough to start again from the beginning to explore new avenues.

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I wouldn't mind such an option for NG+, but then, why not simply spend that time and effort on making the base game that much better?

A NG+ option as you described it could, potentially, make for a great addition in an expansion pack, or major content patch. It'd be a fairly cheap way of somewhat refreshing the experience of playing through the original game, and it'd give you a reason to play the game from the start before getting to the expansion content (assuming expansion content is available at the end of the game).

I still can't help thinking that their limited time would be better spent working on quests & dungeons available in the base game, making that reason enough to start again from the beginning to explore new avenues.

Because it gives you an additional reason to play the main game over again with different choices, and you can have harder enemies at earlier plot times for those unlocked side quests in a NG+ which may not be realistically possible on a first run through without tons of grinding (which I dislike). NG+ could be used to, say, import your non-combat abilities to allow you to better explore earlier areas as well (in the Kickstarter update they said for example you could learn the true name of an enemy or something) or find other secrets that aren't unlockable in the first run through. Replayability is something I look for in RPGs.

Edited by limith

I'm with you. But Obsidian doesn't have a limited time, okay sure they stated 18 months, but I'm pretty sure we won't see this game in at least 20 months and at a max even 30 months. I hope they take extra time, not to implement all of our ideas but so that they can really take their time in making a good game. 18 months sounds about right for their original goal (1.1M). But they got to 4.1M, they will be able to do everything they originally intended at a much much quicker pace thanks to this. But they also added a lot of content with the stretch goals, as well as (most likely) their own ideas. They can do so much more economically for the game with 4.1M than they can with 1.1M *duh*

To be honest I would want the full product like... right now. But the full product won't be the full product if Obsidian doesn't take their time with it. So enough about the "Limited time", in my book, the only limited time Obsidian has is the time before their Company Economy starts to run low and they aren't able to pay full salary, that's when Obsidian would be starting to run out of time and they are probably long overdue :p don't let it get that far either xD

• Like 1

Because it gives you an additional reason to play the main game over again with different choices, and you can have harder enemies at earlier plot times for those unlocked side quests in a NG+ which may not be realistically possible on a first run through without tons of grinding (which I dislike). NG+ could be used to, say, import your non-combat abilities to allow you to better explore earlier areas as well (in the Kickstarter update they said for example you could learn the true name of an enemy or something) or find other secrets that aren't unlockable in the first run through. Replayability is something I look for in RPGs.

Look at it this way:

Let's pretend the game is going to have 10 quests. That's all the team has time to create. It could be 100, or 200, but let's pretend it's 10.

The different options for NG+ would then be:

1. If you add a NG+ option, for "replayability", you'd have 8 quests in the normal game, and another 2 would be unlocked in NG+. 10 quests, same length, only it's forcing you to play the entire game again to experience these two quests.

2. Or, as limith suggests, we'd end up with only 8 quests, because they'd have to spend the time it'd take to create the last two quests simply re-balancing the game for a NG+ mode. You could argue that this would give us 16 quests, because the experience in NG+ would be slightly different from your first play through.

I would rather take 10 high quality, polished quests, over 8+2 unlockable, or 8x2 "re-playable" quests. If you follow me.

If I wanted a different, harder, experience in these 10 quality quests, the game already provides several difficulty levels, in addition to game modes (Expert, Trial of Iron, and Path of the Damned). I have a hard time seeing the need for, or justifying adding NG+, since it doesn't add much replayability value compared to these options, without a great time investment.

I do love the ideas for a potential NG+ adding replay value, but unless it's done the way it's done in, say, Torchlight (which simply ups monster HP, damage, and drops), it'll require too much time. Remember drops in PE will be mostly hand placed.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I would rather take 10 high quality, polished quests, over 8+2 unlockable, or 8x2 "re-playable" quests. If you follow me.

Of course, but what if you could get those 10 high quality quests, and on a NG+ you'd still get those 2 quests.

That's why I'm suggesting (a bit of a summary and repetition):

* NG+ Quick Start/Boost. On second playthrough you can start up to Level 5 (Option only!). Why? The first few levels of the game are usually the most boring ones, but they are also some of the most achieving ones as well (Getting a character to level 5 is so much more worth it, but very time consuming, sometimes you just want to start at a slightly higher level so you can enjoy the class much more. If you've finished the game once, there is a high chance you've felt, met, tried, fought with or against, every single class in the game so you have a jist of what you are expecting to play with).

* NG+ Story Elements, The Game Guides you towards another path that branches away from the previous path. If you walked right the first game, in the second playthrough a slithering path to the left is suddenly open and you get to choose to take it or not. If you do, you can on a third playthrough appreciate the right path again.

* Items that your previous character had is dropped in the world somewhere, randomly, with some in-game lore and story of your previous character- this way you could trade "save files" with your friends, and on one of your playthroughs you could get one of their items that they crafted.

* End Game Lore could hint towards New Game Lore, giving you the reason to believe that the game really hasn't entirely ended when it has ended but there is actually a continuation to it.

* NG+ Quick Start/Boost. On second playthrough you can start up to Level 5 (Option only!). Why? The first few levels of the game are usually the most boring ones, but they are also some of the most achieving ones as well (Getting a character to level 5 is so much more worth it, but very time consuming, sometimes you just want to start at a slightly higher level so you can enjoy the class much more. If you've finished the game once, there is a high chance you've felt, met, tried, fought with or against, every single class in the game so you have a jist of what you are expecting to play with).

I don't think this game will be for you if you think skipping half the game at start is a "good idea"... :/

'It's so much time'... well, that's the game. If you rather want a 10-hour game there are many of these out there...

* NG+ Story Elements, The Game Guides you towards another path that branches away from the previous path. If you walked right the first game, in the second playthrough a slithering path to the left is suddenly open and you get to choose to take it or not. If you do, you can on a third playthrough appreciate the right path again.

Why not allow that the first game? As such it's locking content, option. It's locking AN ENTIRE BRANCH for New Game+. That's the worst idea ever. Imagine if Witcher II you could only do one of the branches on NG+. Yeah, bad, eh?

I rather not OE throw away about 50 hour game time and much so much work just to have it only be experienced if you play the same char again in a game favoring choicing another role to play...

* Items that your previous character had is dropped in the world somewhere, randomly, with some in-game lore and story of your previous character- this way you could trade "save files" with your friends, and on one of your playthroughs you could get one of their items that they crafted.

Of course, items being "placed" as is, if your friend can craft that item, so can you.

So this will either unbalance the game allowing items faster than you should, or just saving you some time as you otherwise got the same item 15 minutes later.

* End Game Lore could hint towards New Game Lore, giving you the reason to believe that the game really hasn't entirely ended when it has ended but there is actually a continuation to it.

It's called an expansion pack... ;)

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

If there's an option to export/import the character (party?) then there will be no need of New Game+. Just export your character at the end of the game and then import it during the initial character creation.

*Shakes fist, shrugs off frustration, laughs*

Hi friend :)

Now to address some of your thoughts,

"I don't think this game will be for you if you think skipping half the game at start is a "good idea"... :/

'It's so much time'... well, that's the game. If you rather want a 10-hour game there are many of these out there..."

HAHA! Okay let's not get into it. Why do you think I'm here in these forums? Level 5 is an example. Also, P:E seems to be a level 25~ game? Second playthrough, not available on first playthrough. Just to give you a quick boost on your second playthrough, you'd still start off at the beginning. You'd be able to catch up the story much faster, and run through most of the starting areas faster and get back on track on the "scaled" level of your characters level. You'd be able to jump into the game faster. Baldur's Gate really starts first after Nashkel Mines in my opinion, now if I could just rush through it on my 3rd, 4th or 5th playthrough of the area I would love to have that as an option. Now I can, thanks to modders and the like, and I'll be able to catch up to an area in the game past Nashkel Mines much faster. So this is more of a modders resource, but I don't see why it couldn't be a part of core P:E as well *shrug*

Not forced on you "You have to start at level 5!!!!" but "up to" level 5, on a second playthrough, your choice. Those who want to replay from Level 1 go ahead, those who want a quicker startup the second time choose Level 5. Or wait for Savegame Editors *shrug* it's just an idea. If all else it'll be a modding resource I'm sure.

"Why not allow that the first game? As such it's locking content, option. It's locking AN ENTIRE BRANCH for New Game+. That's the worst idea ever. Imagine if Witcher II you could only do one of the branches on NG+. Yeah, bad, eh?

I rather not OE throw away about 50 hour game time and much so much work just to have it only be experienced if you play the same char again in a game favoring choicing another role to play..."

Yes! Allow it the first game, the second time you'd just be hinted to go towards the other path. You'd lock yourself out of content by "Choosing" paths the first playthrough anyways so I don't know what the problem is. I'm not suggesting 2 games packed in 1 á 50 hours each, I'm simply suggesting another path to the same place eh? Just to give you a different beginning. In the core game you will be able to have 5 companions in your party, there are 8 companions in the game with the Adventurer's Hall in the game. Are you going to utilize all of the companions on one playthrough? No. I am merely suggesting that there would be more content than simply "playing with the rest of the companions".

I am also looking into the idea of replayability. In a hypothetical situation, if one ending is only unlocked in a New Game+ scenario, then you will be more allured to replay the game no? And even if there only are 2 endings on your first playthrough, you will still lock yourself out of 1 of them by choosing it. Again, I don't see the problem. I'm just suggesting ideas for making you feel more inclined to play the game again, or for those who want to play the game more than once (which I think the title of this thread pretty much states).

"Of course, items being "placed" as is, if your friend can craft that item, so can you.

So this will either unbalance the game allowing items faster than you should, or just saving you some time as you otherwise got the same item 15 minutes later."

Of course, if he can I can. The difference will be that, to me, getting it from my friend would give it more interesting lore and it'll be fun too. Sure, I can craft the item in the game for myself for my character, name it after my friends item, it'll be my characters blade then, having it from my friend will just be interesting from another perspective (in my opinion). I'm not flirting with the mechanical aspects, I'm flirting with some story aspects, some aspects of out of game involvement. You are however, absolutely correct, in terms of robotic [in the box] "1's" and "0's".

It's called an expansion pack... ;)

This thread is about New Game+ right? Right. New Game+ could very well be an expansion in itself though. What I am flirting with is not an expansion per say, but End Game Lore actually referring to Early Game Lore in some way that makes it more viable to play the game one more time in case a New Game+ is implemented (a.k.a. IF).

Level 5 is an example. Also, P:E seems to be a level 25~ game?

12 levels actually. Atleast that was the plan originally.

So you can expect what level 5 means then...

You'd be able to catch up the story much faster, and run through most of the starting areas faster and get back on track on the "scaled" level of your characters level.

I would think with your added experience of the combat system, knowledge of quests and layout this would be the case even without added levels, though.

You'd be able to jump into the game faster. Baldur's Gate really starts first after Nashkel Mines in my opinion, now if I could just rush through it on my 3rd, 4th or 5th playthrough of the area I would love to have that as an option. Now I can, thanks to modders and the like, and I'll be able to catch up to an area in the game past Nashkel Mines much faster. So this is more of a modders resource, but I don't see why it couldn't be a part of core P:E as well *shrug*

Well, with all the "skip Peragus/Telos/Taris" etc. mods around I do think the sentiment is shared among gamers. But for developers, designing a starting area where people want to run through or skip second game? That smells like bad design to me. Rather have it still. No one should design an area with the mindset it will be waltzed through due to boredom... well, except for a tutorial ;) (but I am of the strong opinion the game shouldn't start with an inbuild tutorial annoying you every time again anyway. I'm looking at you, Oblivion/Fallout 3 Bethesda!)

I'd much rather they design it with changes in mind (you might get kicked out of Candlestone (was that it? So long ago) for different reasons, and it's worthy to try the other ways to get kicked out. Especially if much later in the game they are reffered to, then to adopt a design where players are allowed to waltz it.

Yes! Allow it the first game, the second time you'd just be hinted to go towards the other path. You'd lock yourself out of content by "Choosing" paths the first playthrough anyways so I don't know what the problem is. I'm not suggesting 2 games packed in 1 á 50 hours each, I'm simply suggesting another path to the same place eh? Just to give you a different beginning. In the core game you will be able to have 5 companions in your party, there are 8 companions in the game with the Adventurer's Hall in the game. Are you going to utilize all of the companions on one playthrough? No. I am merely suggesting that there would be more content than simply "playing with the rest of the companions".

Okay, sounded more like it was locked first time around. Not an option, and it just "hints" you the other one in NG+. How does it "hint" anyways? Without being a major immersion breaker ("remember last game? Well, the alternate path is giving the sword. We suggest you do so now"). I think people would be smart enough to pick their own. And again, it doesn't really need NG+ for this, just a "new game" button :/

In a hypothetical situation, if one ending is only unlocked in a New Game+ scenario, then you will be more allured to replay the game no? And even if there only are 2 endings on your first playthrough, you will still lock yourself out of 1 of them by choosing it. Again, I don't see the problem. I'm just suggesting ideas for making you feel more inclined to play the game again, or for those who want to play the game more than once (which I think the title of this thread pretty much states).[/b]

Actually, personally, I would be majorly pissed off.

Having to replay the game with the same bloody character just to see a new ending? Nope, I rather have 3 different endings you can all get from your new game, without NG+

Also, yes, it would make me more prone to replay if I had 3 endings rather than 2. However, with your suggestion, I wouldn't. Seeing how it would be only for playing on with my same character. Which isn't really "replaying" in my book's definition of the word.

Sure, I can craft the item in the game for myself for my character, name it after my friends item, it'll be my characters blade then, having it from my friend will just be interesting from another perspective (in my opinion).

I am pretty sure you have a different idea of how crafting in PE works compared to how it actually works.

This thread is about New Game+ right? Right. New Game+ could very well be an expansion in itself though. What I am flirting with is not an expansion per say, but End Game Lore actually referring to Early Game Lore in some way that makes it more viable to play the game one more time in case a New Game+ is implemented (a.k.a. IF).

Just saying, that if the game ends I rather want it to allure to the expansion (which *is* coming), rather than prepare for NG+. Why? Because if not it would disallow using the endgame plot to bridge over to the expansion, which would be a great way to establish it as one big story. It would seriously hamper the ability to open the expansion just going almost straight from the end of the game.

And with an expansion already planned, I just think that would be an excellent way to plan this (ahead). Diverting it to NG+ play would thereby criple the story element binding main game and expansion together, hurting everything in the plot in the end.

Anyways, also wanted to mention the idea of "NG+" is something I really loathe as addition in modern games. It really cringes me it's so widespread common. Yes, it works fine in Diablo, Dungeon Siege or Torchlight.

However any non action-RPG's, like Arkham City? It's just stupid there. And since this is a storybased RPG, with one of the pilars being choices, so character creation would have a big effect and therefore the best and optimal path is replaying with multiple different builds, I see it equally sucking here as well.

It only allows replay in a way the game wasn't meant to be replayed in. And that might be just as bad as having no replay. Some people might think it's an "actual" replay, missing out all the great stuff if they just made a new character. Overall, it's a loss/loss in any way I see it...

(stupid damn quotes not working :/... so hence the bolded original lines)

(fixed now hopefully. Dammit)

• Like 1

^

Nah, this concept seems too console-game-like to me. I'd just rather just start over with a different character class/race and follow different paths through the game world.

How is it console like?

Diablo 2/3 and Torchlight 1/2 both have this feature, neither of which are on consoles.

I agree with you pretty much everything you say, just want to clear out one or two misunderstandings:

In a hypothetical situation, if one ending is only unlocked in a New Game+ scenario, then you will be more allured to replay the game no? And even if there only are 2 endings on your first playthrough, you will still lock yourself out of 1 of them by choosing it.
Having to replay the game with the same bloody character just to see a new ending?

I've said it previously somewhere else, why would you have to start with the same character just because New Game+? "New Game"+"Extra Content"

Sure, I can craft the item in the game for myself for my character, name it after my friends item, it'll be my characters blade then, having it from my friend will just be interesting from another perspective (in my opinion).

I am pretty sure you have a different idea of how crafting in PE works compared to how it actually works.

Yes. In fact: I've got no clue. That's my ideas slipping through in the sentences :p

Well, that explains a lot. Generally New Game+ is indeed replaying the game with the exact same character. That's what it became famous for, that's what it's used for now. It's called NG+ only if you continue with lvl 60 Shephard or lvl 40 Batman, not lvl 1.

So yeah, if in your NG+, which isn't NG+ as used by the branche, I do think adding extra's or such would be nice. Just... not in the branche way of NG+ please.

^