New Game plus  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of new game plus mode?

• yay
    • nay
    • ambivalent

I don't really see it as a problem- if someone wants to powergame their way through the game, more power to them, I say. It might be also be nice to go hog wild as some high-powered superhero your next game through. After all, there's nothing stopping you from simply starting up a new character, and a New Game+ shouldn't be too much of a strain on Obsidian, as well as affording additional player options.

There are a couple of other interesting possibilities for a New Game+ mode than just carrying over the same character. For instance, passing along an item to a new character as an "heirloom", gaining a few additional build points, allowing a skill or ability from the previous character for the next character, etc.

If I replay, I replay with a new character.

That said, I know a lot of people enjoyed heart of fury and such.

Ambivalent, if it's not ungodly amount of work (like tick in +100% health for every baddie), go for it.

im for it, as long as the plus, is available only on ultra hardcore mode. you start with your party as it was at the end of the last game, but the game will be at max difficulty with save and exit only, which will be deleted upon defeat

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

There are a couple of other interesting possibilities for a New Game+ mode than just carrying over the same character. For instance, passing along an item to a new character as an "heirloom", gaining a few additional build points, allowing a skill or ability from the previous character for the next character, etc.

I do like the inherited item mechanic from torchlight

My uncle died and left me a sword capable of destroying armies and a dungeon full of monsters to use it on :)

Edited by JayDGee

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I see no point in it other than having a fun quasi-godmode walktrough, but I don't see the a need to prevent it either.

If you can import premade characters to a new game, It's not neccessaty to add extra code just to prevent high-level characters with über equipment from being imported.

Edited by JOG

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

As mentioned already the "Path of the Damned" mode is almost guaranteed to require it. Although, how they mentioned it working isn’t really how it worked in IWD. I mean you simply couldn't, typically, hit them with anything or enough if things would actually land at low levels.

Give me the export / import possibilities of the IE games, and a heart of fury like mode, then we have "new game+".

That would be fine, indeed. I don´t understand why people thinks their way to play is the only valid one excluding anything else. Some of you talk about replaying the game with other character, so you don´t want the "Heart of Fury" or "new game +" mode implemented. Why? Does it matter you? Will be there any kind of impact in your new game?

Of course not, if you want to play with a new character, just do it. Just don´t press the "New game +" button. Anybody else who wants to restart the game with their old characters will just hit that button and everybody will be happy :D

• Like 1

I don't care if this option is offered, but I would personally never use it myself....it is practically equivalent to using a save game editor at the start to give you skills and equipment that you were not supposed to have until much later on. It takes all the challenge away. Where's the fun in that?

Do you like the idea of new game plus mode? Not really. I have never bothered to use it in games where it was an option. If i'm gonna replay the game, i want to start at the bottom and fight my way up. That whole journey where a starved wolf cub can kick my ass and where a wooden sword seems like a mighty weapon is part of the fun. I want to earn the whole thing again, otherwise i think i would feel like i cheated. It should be all the choices i didn't get to make the first time, all the things i didn't see and the quests i never tried that makes me want to play the game again.

• Like 1

I don't care if this option is offered, but I would personally never use it myself....it is practically equivalent to using a save game editor at the start to give you skills and equipment that you were not supposed to have until much later on. It takes all the challenge away. Where's the fun in that?

not if all the enemies are at max possible level from the start too.

the first time you started in lv1 and the first quest was to kill lv1 rats. you finished on lv10 with the final boss being at lv13

in ng+ you start at lv10, with first quest to kill lv10 rats and the final boss is lv 20 with you at lv15

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I think that the player should be allowed to export a character whenever they wish, and start a new game with said character.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think being able to export and then import characters would be good, with Path of the Damned. I know that, at least in Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale II's Heart of Fury, that kind of mode seems to assume that the characters are at more or less the level one normally ends the game at. I suppose it may be possible to complete the games that way starting at first level, but I have not tried.

knightofchaoss.jpg

I could see your character being a selectable companion in subsequent playthroughs, but I'd rather not have a true new game plus. As much fun as exporting your character at the end was.

I quite like that idea for the hall of adventurers.

• Like 1

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

"New Game+" is only interesting if you effect it somehow by your first playthrough (e.g., that armor you crafted in your first playthrough now randomly appears in your second playthrough. Quests are still played the same, but maybe with a slight personalized twist somehow, e.g., talking about your character you played with the first game) <- I understand that this isn't an easy task, to make game 2 refer to game 1.

I see New Game+ just like starting a new game entirely (from scratch, level 1, new class, new face, new race) but with some benefits (a quest you couldn't do before? A new start location? Items? Even deeper story? etc. etc.). So I'm not against it, because there are tons and tons of interesting things you can do with it. I'm not really for it either, though I lean towards "for" mainly because of the potentiality it has.

Edited by Osvir

Give me the export / import possibilities of the IE games, and a heart of fury like mode, then we have "new game+".

That would be fine, indeed. I don´t understand why people thinks their way to play is the only valid one excluding anything else. Some of you talk about replaying the game with other character, so you don´t want the "Heart of Fury" or "new game +" mode implemented. Why? Does it matter you? Will be there any kind of impact in your new game?

Of course not, if you want to play with a new character, just do it. Just don´t press the "New game +" button. Anybody else who wants to restart the game with their old characters will just hit that button and everybody will be happy :D

The point of these forums involving requests about gameplay, mechanics, etc. is for people to voice their opinions about what they do and don't want to see in PE. The point of specifically mentioning that you don't wan't something (or to what extent you don't want something, from disinterest to disdain) is just as important as mentioning the things you do want, there are limited resources in any game design process and so every idea that does make it could mean another that doesn't. Because of this, it does affect the gameplay of those that don't want to see resources used on a certain idea, that they feel could be better used elsewhere.

I'm just tired of seeing the "Unless you're fully in support of this idea, then don't bother posting anything in this thread because it won't affect your gameplay at all for it to be included" argument. We all obviously care about what this game is going to be, so even just knowing that something undesirable (in my opinion) is in the game, even if it won't really affect my gameplay, shouldn't stop me from mentioning my opinion about it. Let people say their piece on each topic, that's the whole point of this site.

No disrespect intended by the way, I have just seen this argument so many times on similar forums and I felt compelled to address it. I completely agree that each person's way to play is as valid as each other person's way, and that it's ultimately up to the devs to decide how to make this game, I just think we're all here to voice our individual opinions and shouldn't feel stifled in doing so.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

I wouldn't want to see it as it makes no in-game sense as to why it should happen, I never liked that HoF in IWD2 encouraged you to start with your old team. I'd much rather have a HoF mode that worked well with level 1 players. Plus the fact it gives players an avenue to grind indefinitely by starting as many new + games as they want with the same character, and it implies that getting to a decent or maximum level isn't possible in the basic game which in my opinion it should be.

• Like 1

If it doesn't cost a lot of resources to implement it then why not make it an optional extra.

As the OP mentioned, this was an option of the IE games so implementing it could add to PE's legacy feel.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

I'm ambivalent. I also think this should be clarified:

• Increasing Difficulty Level = starting the game from scratch at a higher difficulty.

• New Game+ = starting the game with the equipment and level from your last play-through at a higher difficulty.

Adding NG+ is essentially a way of re-starting of the game, for people who don't want to abandon all their precious loot & experience. The problem this opens up for a game like PE, which has barely any item randomization, is that you will simply find the same equipment over again in a NG+ environment... unless they'd artificially improve each item by, say, +1 when playing NG+. Which would just suck and be quite non-immersive.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

GrinningReaper659, maybe I didn´t explain myself very well but I didn´t want to "end" any discussion. Even more, if there are more choices and well argumented opinions, better! What I wanted to point is the fact that many people thinks their opinion (gamestyle in this thread) is the only valid one and everything else is useless because they don´t use it.

"When I replay a game, I make a new character so, please, remove the new game + option because I don´t use it"

This is what I wanted to address before, that kind of behaviour.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I wanted to say because I didn´t explain it very well!

No. The devs aleady said encounters outside the main quest won't scale, so that means they would have to rebalance pratically the whole game in a NG+ in addition to all the difficulty modes. Personally, I'd also rather restart the whole game with another character.

ChronoTrigger didn't rebalance at all. Of course in that scenario the reason for doing the Game+ was to allow the player to find all of the alternate ends (which resulted in defeating Lavos at different time points in the game so you still had to be an end-level character).

That said I appreciated Mass Effect 1 allowing me to continue playing an unbalanced game+ with my Shepard because (a) I didn't have to try to create a face again and (b) sometimes I just enjoyed running around the track shooting things and the only point seemed to be so you could "fix" things for import in the planned ME2.

That said (part 2), I don't really see a party based RPG on a computer as a game that would really support it. While I know others did import their characters, I replayed BG and IWD (particularly IWD) many times over starting with new characters and classes and seeing what I liked to work with. I only used the import feature to create my own party member(s) in BG/BGII who were same level as my PC. And I think that's the kind of replayability this game seems to be headed for.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man