Gameplay or Story?

225 members have voted

1. 1. Which aspect of a cRPG is more important to you?

• Gameplay
    • Story

gameplay without story is just action/adventure game.

What is an adventure game without story? It's even more important there than in an RPG.

adventures got linear story and its very easy to make one. Its rpg where you need to battle making nonlinear story without making separate game for each option.

it takes both to make rpg game.

Wrong. There are plenty of RPGs old and new with very little or no storyline at all.

examples?

What is an adventure game without story? It's even more important there than in an RPG.

adventures got linear story and its very easy to make one. Its rpg where you need to battle making nonlinear story without making separate game for each option.

Even if we pretend that what you say is true. How does what you've said change my claim?

it takes both to make rpg game.

Wrong. There are plenty of RPGs old and new with very little or no storyline at all.

examples?

A lot of the oldschool RPGs from the 80s / early 90s were essentially dungeon crawlers, with very little or no emphasis on storyline at all.

If you want a more recent example though, Mount & Blade has no main storyline whatsoever, and is unquestionably an RPG.

Edited by Piccolo

Story. If I had to choose between some sort of pure dialoogue roleplaying game and an old fashioned dungeon crawler, I'd definitely opt for the first one.

In a game like Project Eternity that's presumably going to have both combat and story, the two can sometimes intertwine, though. Combat roles should inform character development, and battles should feel like they proceed naturally from the story and aren't just stuck in there to give the player something to kill.

• Like 1

A lot of the oldschool RPGs from the 80s / early 90s were essentially dungeon crawlers, with very little or no emphasis on storyline at all.

If you want a more recent example though, Mount & Blade has no main storyline whatsoever, and is unquestionably an RPG.

Never bothered with that, i was expecting something more... renown?

Just because they call game to be rpg it doesnt mean its one. There are very few real rpg games and lots that just want to rpg fans attention.

Which element of a cRPG is more important to you? Is it the gameplay or is it the storyline? Why is it more important to you than the other?

[...snip...]

I was going to ask "define gameplay" and then I hit the "spoiler" button part of your post. In terms of RPG's, I'm almost exactly the same way as you, so ... I guess my vote is for gameplay. :) I don't have much, reason-wise, that wouldn't largely mirror what you've already said.

Except maybe....that I love it when a game has a story that I can really get into, but it doesn't actually happen to me a lot. So gameplay/mechanics are what I tend to notice most, and what will dictate whether I finish/replay a game more than once or twice. When a game has both, that's my pinnacle...but as I said, it doesn't happen for me much. Could count on less than one hand how often it's occurred.

More typically, I may latch onto specific character stories/subplots but not really care about/pay much attention to the overall main narrative, if that makes sense. Perhaps because I'm playing the game, making the decisions (vs. being an observer ala movies or books) and don't typically "roleplay" a character in any deep fashion, so I just don't attach to them as well.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Personally, I refuse to choose one over the other. One is needed to fill the gaps of the other.

*rolls eyes*

A bunch of people have responded like this. I think it's a bit of an... 'immature' response.

• Like 1

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Both or neither. Either it solidly has both or it isn't worth playing.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Which element of a cRPG is more important to you? Is it the gameplay or is it the storyline? Why is it more important to you than the other?

I can't vote on this, it'd be like voting "which is more important to you, your heart or your lungs". Ya need both in an RPG, and they ought to be integrated instead of being locked in separate rooms so that the gameplay is just an elaborate method of turning pages in a novel. If you're talking about all types of games, yeah, gameplay is more important because without it you do not, in fact, have a game.

Heck, you could define an RPG as an integrated story and gameplay experience, halfway between Bejeweled and a novel.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Well I played both type of games and the impressions that do stick with me and make me nostalgic or want to play a game again are the ones that actually raised "real" emotion in me (well if something is funny, sad, scary or deep (what was the emotion called that I feel with that? I really don't know) etc.). For this to happen with me the story (well companions, situations, etc) has a more severe impact and it happens only rarely. Music has an impact too, I guess.

Like many others have said, gameplay and story aren't exclusive, so I would ideally have both.

But since I have to chose, I'd take story. I can usually suck up mediocre gameplay or mechanics (speaking about RPGs here) if story is good enough - I'll even come back to the game some time to replay it! - can't say the same about bad story though.

Of course, there are exceptions, but generally good story will keep me wanting to play an RPG for longer than good gameplay.

I can't vote on this, it'd be like voting "which is more important to you, your heart or your lungs". Ya need both in an RPG, and they ought to be integrated instead of being locked in separate rooms so that the gameplay is just an elaborate method of turning pages in a novel. If you're talking about all types of games, yeah, gameplay is more important because without it you do not, in fact, have a game.

Heck, you could define an RPG as an integrated story and gameplay experience, halfway between Bejeweled and a novel.

Everybody assumes this question is about only having one. Well, no one said it's one or the other. It's which is more important.

Think of it perhaps as a slightly altered analogy that you gave. Choose between a heart and a kidney. You can't survive without either, but you can live with only one kidney. So let's say you have to give one kidney to save the life of the most important person to you. Which would represent your kidneys that would make you more comfortable with partially sacrificing it, but will still be able to function normally, just not perfectly. Would story or gameplay represent your kidneys?

It's funny because the story in PS:T is a part of the gameplay. Good gameplay, good systems and whatnot, will always outclass story. Making choices, and the game actually reacting to those choices, is gameplay.

hmm not really. Gameplay is the ruleset on how you could interact in the game theoretically, the actual reactions you can chose from in specific situations and what consequences there are (that are written in the game), are storyelements. Or did I get that wrong?

Edited by Rink
  • Like 1