Gameplay or Story?

225 members have voted

1. 1. Which aspect of a cRPG is more important to you?

• Gameplay
    • Story

Which element of a cRPG is more important to you? Is it the gameplay or is it the storyline? Why is it more important to you than the other?

I didn't include an option for both, because we all want both to be great, but if you _had_ to choose, which one would it be?

Please give your reasons as well.

To me, the gameplay is more important in a cRPG than the story. I love good writing in an RPG, but good writing doesn't keep me coming back to play a game over and over. Once I've experienced the story a few times, I start skipping the dialogue because I've heard it/read it before already, unless it's a particular line that just never get's old or a voice that I really enjoy (I always listen to what Kresselack has to say in Icewind Dale for instance). So while initially, story may be more important, particularly on the first play through, over time, it's the gameplay which keeps me coming back again and again.

Storyline and writing is very important, but if the gameplay is boring, then I will probably only play that game once, or twice, or as many times as it takes me to experience as much of the story as possible. I have had problems with Obsidian's games in the past in particular where their writing is quite good (SW:KotOR2 in particular) but the actual gameplay didn't really excite me that much, and I just wanted to get to the next dialogue option.

I think this is a problem inherent in pretty much all of the Aurora-engine games (Neverwinter Nights had a crap story and I didn't really enjoy the gameplay either). So I never bothered playing the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions or played any Obsidian games after that (heard that the Alpha Protocol gameplay was pretty clunky, I'd still like to give it a go someday though).

That's pretty much why my most played RPG games are the Baldur's Gates and the Icewind Dales, because those games have great cRPG gameplay. The Witcher 1 would probably be the next on the list, while the combat is easy, I don't find it annoying, and it's the only game that gives a pseudo-Baldur's Gate 1 like feel to the exploration of areas.

Hard to answer, but I'll try. I've played through plenty of games despite gameplay components that simply irk me to no end - some jRPGs come to mind. On one hand, if gameplay is awesome enough, you can hope for some inspired writer to hop in and mod/rewrite it... But if the story is good and the gameplay is terrible you have the issues you mentioned.

Examples would be NWN2 - something with arguably good potential for a D&D game, but (in my opinion) a sorely lacking campaign. Mask of the Betrayer went back and added an amazing story. Pretty much the same case with the original, actually. No More Heroes, or perhaps the .//hack games are an example of a rather meh mechanics, but a story that compelled me to play through them - or mostly.

So I guess the real question for me here is, do I feel worse when I buy a game, find the machanics fun to play with but the story uninspiring, or the other way around? Using history as a model, I'd have to say story is vital for me, or at least the promise of a community willing to add to or "fix" the story. Of course the recent bioware games can be cited - the gameplay itself even had several issues - but so can some console games, or the less interesting jRPGs.

Talking about cRPGs only (jRPGs are fine too, never played one though - need to get Dark Souls).

Call of Duty 2 (one of the best multiplayer fps ever) etc doesn't count ;)

When Planescape: Torment came out I was only 12, tried playing it and got bored. Definitely going to go and play it though when uni is over :)

Edited by Sensuki

I am 100% not concerned about the story of Project Eternity. I already know that's going to be good. I think I will be a bit disappointed if the gameplay isn't as good as BG or IWD though.

for Dragon Age I played the game once, Human Noble Warrior, finished it on Nightmare difficulty, was very disappointed with it overall. Went back and did all the Origin stories, and haven't touched it since.

I've done KotOR 1 a few times more than KotOR 2 I think, I think it has better gameplay than KotOR 2 does even if it's the same engine. KotOR 2 has better writing and atmosphere though. The sparsity of the levels gives off this really desolate feeling. Often I'll play it when I feel like experiencing that mood, but I won't actually finish the game again because I'll lose interest.

Edited by Sensuki

Both, duh. That's why it's so hard to make a good RPG.

So true.

I still voted "story" as without interesting story possibilities and progression, I wouldn't bother picking up a cRPG game in the first place.

Gameplay that is lacking can still detract from or ruin the experience, though. This is true in terms of game design (way too much/too little loot, etc.) and things like the interface/controls. If it's not a pleasure to play, then it's not a pleasure.

Both are equally important to me, a amazing story with bad gameplay mechanics will always be boring to me since gameplay is such huge part of many games so it has to be well done otherwise i could just be reading a book if i only wanted a good story to follow and a good story is important too since it actually make you care of what you're doing and there'

s a certain excitement to push forward to see what happens next in the game.

Games like Painkiller without a real story shows that gameplay is just as important and that it becomes more fun if it's well done, a very good game can't afford to really sacrifice either of these things, balance is everything.

Edited by BerZeeerK
  • Like 1

Gameplay.

To me, a good storyline simply enchances the experience. It's not the sole reason i'll play a game, nor is it a requirement. Besides, if I really want to enjoy a great story, i'll go read a book. Even the very best video game storylines can't come close to competing with that.

I think in games (particularly fantasy games) I actually appreciate detailed lore / world history more than a main storyline anyway. Stuff that really makes the gameworld seem rich and alive.

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 2

I can understand your saying that you don't want to list both to force someone to choose. But I think that you need to change your terms used then, especially when referring to a game which has already been promoted as an in-depth story-based game heavy on dialogue interactions. The story IS a large part of the gameplay. I believe what you are meaning, however, is "mechanics" vs "story" - and in that case, I'd have to pick mechanics, because it takes good mechanics to tell a good story but a good story doesn't necessarily generate good mechanics. (Also note that I'm generalizing "mechanics" as well, and not just using it to refer to a combat/character generation system).

"If we are alone in the universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space"

I was going to say Gameplay and Writing, basically what I mean is the quality of the writing, dialogue and cut-scenes (which is essentially story) more important than the gameplay - combat, exploration, other general activities you undertake when playing etc.

Mechanics are more how something works, rather than actually doing it.

Edited by Sensuki

Gameplay.

As much as I loved these games' story and characters, I couldn't finish New Vegas or MotB. NWN and FO3 were dreadful on both counts as well.

There are some exceptions to that of course. PS:T being notable in that though the combat was relatively weak, the story was so amazing, it trumped any deficiencies it had. Plus, it was an IE game, so overall, the gameplay wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Story.

Not to say that gameplay isn't important, but it's not what drew me to the IE games. In fact, I honestly wasn't terribly impressed by that aspect of them (admittedly, it wasn't terrible either, so I didn't feel like I was just slogging through fights to get to the next bit of the story). The writing was--at least in most cases--above par and very enjoyable, and it kept me coming back for more. It's what made them stand out for me.

Bottom line: if I want great gameplay, there are plenty of games out there which fit that criterion. For story, not quite so much.

• Like 1

Kuroiryuu, what are some examples of "modern" RPGs with great gameplay?

Kotor

Kotor2

VtM:B

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

New Vegas

NWN2

HotU

Dragon Age

MotB

The above games had good stories but subpar gameplay. What are some examples of the inverse?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Kotor

Kotor2

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

New Vegas

NWN2

HotU

Dragon Age

MotB

The above games had good stories but subpar gameplay. What are some examples of the inverse?

You should probably add Arcanum to that list. :p

RPGs with great gameplay (cRPGs and a jRPG):

• Mass Effect 2
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Final Fantasy: Tactics
  • BioShock
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Mount and Blade: Warband
  • Fable II

EDIT: Just saw that you wanted examples of good gameplay with sub-par story. In that case, everything but Kingdoms of Amalur, Mount and Blade and Fable 2 should probably go from the list.

Now, I picked Gameplay in the poll, because great gameplay is truly important to a game. Without fun gameplay, I won't play the game for very long. I have less... strict standards for gameplay than others here, for example I liked the gameplay in KotOR II.

Despite that, a story and the writing is what makes a game great. One of my favourite games of all time is Morrowind, and the gameplay was... lack-luster. Sure, spell creation was lots of fun, but the gameplay was clunky. It was the world and the lore that made it a great game.

Same with the IE games. IWD2 had great gameplay, fantastic even. But the game is the weakest out of all the IE games because the story elements are below par.

So in short, gameplay is what makes a game fun, it what is of prime importance to a game. But the story is what will make a game great.

Edited by Greensleeve

Story, hands down. If I like the story, I will stick with a game even if some parts of gameplay get repetitive or frustrating. By the same token, I couldn't count the number of games I've stopped in the middle of because the story either wasn't interesting or had grown irritating.

Kotor

Kotor2

Mass Effect

Alpha Protocol

New Vegas

NWN2

HotU

Dragon Age

MotB

Dark Souls?

I can't answer this poll. I want the gameplay to craft the story, and the story to inform the gameplay. Basically the whole reason I backed this is because Obsidian are one of the few developers who get that story and interactivity aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by SunBroSolaire
  • Like 2

I voted gameplay, but I honestly think story is more important after the gameplay is passable. I don't need to like every system or mechanic in the game but it needs to reach a playable point before I can enjoy the story. I for instance like NWN2 a great deal and had lots of fun playing it when it first came out. However the clunkiness of the combat and the camera following makes the game feel like a chore to play. I do enjoy the story but I can't even play the game long enough to really dig in to the story before the gameplay starts to ruin it for me.

So gameplay is the most important to an extent because without it the basic fun and smoothness I won't be able to enjoy the story. The story on the otherhand is most likely to get me to want to replay the game and what I'll remember most about a game once it's over. As such I'm glad to see the poll is 50/50 because they really are both equally important.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I admit that I didn't mind Mass Effect 2's gameplay either. It's kind of weird. The first game had way more customization etc (got the biggest lawl when I unscoped a guy with the sniper rifle half way across a map), the second one was a lot more streamlined and easier, but yeah I quite enjoyed the gameplay.

I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 way more than Dragon Age.

I don't think he mentioned Mass Effect 2 though, just ME:1.

lol

The poll is split 50/50.

Game play/story in an RPG are more intertwined than most games, I think. A quest is usually a small story in itself, and the choices you make to affect that story make up the game play part of it. But the story has to be interesting enough that you care about the choices, and the choices have to be interesting in themselves, but when you get tired of talking, killing stuff should be enjoyable. But still, even beyond killing, interacting with the story IS game play. (I'm getting redundant, eh?)

However, I find game's with good game play and a throw away story a lot easier to replay than the alternative. Many have said Xenogears had a great story, (it's quite involved/complex) but the game play is criminally bad, so I could barely manage to get through it once. Then again, JRPGs.

But I can't really think of a lot of game's I've played where I said, "That was great. The game play was garbage, but man... what a story!"

Edited by Ignatius