Random ideas about magic system, character development, etc.

My brother was too lazy to register account for this forum so I put quote from him where he describes his ideas what kind things he would like to see in game.

Hi.

In this topic I use little of my time to describe the "project eternity" as it is in my daily dreams.

Mostly I go around the magic system, but I add some more later.

My favorite games are and have been from RPG/adventure genre: Dark Age, Fallout, FA2, PS Torment, Ice Wind Dale, Diablo, Angband, Adom, Dragon Age, Arcanum, betrayal at krondor, whitcher, lands of lore, LOL2, Hand of Fate and such games with very strong storyline, and maybe not so great game mechanism.

Things I would like to see in a game are mostly something that are not yet seen in any game, mostly because those would need the game codes and designers to use their valuable time, that they often don't have enough, to something that are not the most important thing in games.

Magic System:

most often we have some sort of magic system in all RPG/adventure games.

Most often this is one of the following: "D&D" or "Diablo" system or "cool down ability" something.

But what I dream of?

A magic system that would be a truly unique in any PC game so far.

Many differing styles to use magic, and I mean TRULY differing styles, not just different class magic buttons.

for example:

style 1. "soul powers". Characters that wont need strong magic, or want something small extra could use small spells to give small temporal boosts to their selves or to their equipment.

This magic could also be "implanted" to give permanent boost, but this would need stronger magic to perform (for example via NPC).

Time: these spells would take same amount of time to work, as normally your character can hit with weapon.

strength: fast to use, cheap to learn and all can learn these.

weakness: not so great effects and not so great damage.

Style 2. "Soul Grimoires". characters who has greater understanding of magic and their soul could form them to be stronger and perform "magic" to combine these to one greater power.

I would see players to be able to make combos ready to their grimoires. Instead grinding trough plenty of expo-gobbos to get strong spells they could use them right from the beginning of the game. (via choosing strength level for the spell and what other spell takes place same time or boost the main spell).

Of course players wont need to know every spell right from the start of the game, so they would need to hunt for people who could teach them more spells.

Time: everything you but on the "combination" would make the spell performing slower. for example "simple damage"-spell would take "hit with weapon" (HWW) and boosting it to "simple damage 5" would take 5x HWW. And to add "fire effect" would rise it to 6x HWW etc.

Then magic characters could perform great rituals, that could greatly change the balance of the battle, but fighters would need to control the situation until that.

Strength: "unlimited power", thousands of combinations

weakness: time is essence and In style 2 I would not use any healing magic to make it weaker.

Style 3. "God Souls". Characters could "buy" a single use spells, that are very fast to perform, and strong of effect, but gone for ever when used.

Some characters, like for example priests could get these back these spells by visiting the god house or such, or at least some of these.

Time: instantly, and can be used multiple in same "combat round".

Strength: very powerful magic, that "any" can get.

weakness: one use only

Style 4. "over souls". These are long gone people or such whose souls are left to wander around in the world or bind to some event (war, crime or such) or to some place (home, grave of loved one, souls own item)

These over souls could be find and gain to ally. These could be used differently: 1 as one use spell to perform something big. 2. to attack by themselves against for example ethereal beings. 3. to travel in spirit/soul world (player controlled event) 4. to boost up character via "ancient powers".

I would see that these over souls could gain more strength in one way or other during the game.

--

In the game world I would like to see NPC:s that hates magic users of one kind (grimoires or god for example, or people who combines two or more of these).

I would like to see that some or all spells are hidden around the game world.

CHARACTER development:

I would like to see "free of choice" system used.

I could of course choose a class, just like on D&D or such, but free of choice is my own favorite.

If I want to have character cable to use sword, fight in armor and to throw some fireballs, I would like that to be possible.

Of course character centered just to close combat would overpower him in sword play, but unnecessary not be better against all enemies.

Regular "tech tree" style of character creation trees are boring to me. I would like that all (most) skills, spells and such can be "found" via meeting teachers or for example over souls.

Combat system: I would like to see the character to be able to lose a eye, hand or such during the battle.

These could be healed of course, but the healing magic in style 1 (read above) could only heal HP:s, not "serious wounds", so you would need style 3 which is one use only spells.

In style 2 I would not use any healing magic to make it weaker.

GENERAL IDEAS:

most RPG games are about to adventure through the maps to grind all the enemies you could find.

I would like to see a game that you go through the maps to find "hidden skills, spells, friends, allies, oversouls etc".

And I'll be back to this issue