Sheathed weapons  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Should characters sheathe their weapons when not using them?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter either way

This is a very minor matter that is purely cosmetic, but still something that I would like to see. In the old IE games, and even in many newer games, characters always grip their equipped weapons. To me this was slightly jarring when the characters were moving in an obviously peaceful area. It was especially funny when a character had a flaming weapon and were toting it about town, and nobody batted an eye at it. I'm guessing this was due to technical limitations, as the added animations for drawing and sheathing would have taken too much time and energy to include.

It would be nice if characters could put away their weapons. Maybe they'd only do it in "safe" areas, such as cities and towns. Or maybe they could do as they do in Dragon Age and put them away between fights. From a mechanical perspective the drawing of weapons could be ignored as a delay, as I think DA does.

Make sense, not war.

Would really depend on what they do with it, if it is something they can do fairly easily and it actually has an impact it would be great.

However if it just becomes a cheap gimmick with a high cost in programming, I would probably pass on it for something that gives more for the money.

Oh and if they are going to include it, also include scabbards, unlike dragon age where they just have exposed weapons on their backs. To me that is just as stupid as running around with a weapon in your hand

• Like 2

Oh and if they are going to include it, also include scabbards, unlike dragon age where they just have exposed weapons on their backs. To me that is just as stupid as running around with a weapon in your hand

Actually it's much more stupid, nobody who expects a fight will carry his weapons on the back, sword fighers in all cultures figured out independently that the quickest way to draw a sword is from the hip opposite to your sword arm. And no, ninja neither carried their swords on the back, nor did they use that theater-stagehand outfit as an uniform.

In PE's prespective you won't notice the sheathed weapon anyway, I'd be fine with weapons simply not being displayed on the avatars unless they actually draw the weapons.

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

I'd say yes on the proviso that it is not implemented like in Dragon Age, basically I want to be able to switch to a state of readiness when I enter dungeons and other dangerous places. Shields raised and swords levelled, arquebus' ****ed and loaded, arrows knocked to the string, mages scanning their grimoires and memorising dread incantations etcetera. Of course in this mode everybody should be wary, on the lookout for traps and secret doors and obviously the movement rate reduced. I would however make this toggle-able (if that's a word) for when we need a burst of speed to escape or for some other emergency.

If we're entering dangerous territory and are not in a state of readiness then I fully expect the enemy to win initiative and launch devastating first strikes, take advantage of our stupidity. I'm also tootling through Divine Divinity at the moment and it's refreshing to see my sword scabbarded at my players hip, I don't particularly need the scabbard but I would like to see my equipped weapons and armours on my character. As well as a backpack.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Actually it's much more stupid, nobody who expects a fight will carry his weapons on the back, sword fighers in all cultures figured out independently that the quickest way to draw a sword is from the hip opposite to your sword arm. And no, ninja neither carried their swords on the back, nor did they use that theater-stagehand outfit as an uniform.

I did not mean for them to carry say daggers on their backs I totally agree that would be pretty silly. What I mean is that if you want to have weapons sheathed (be it on the hip, back or whatever), include a scabbard.

Larger weapons could be excluded from this as drawing say a 150-180cm long zweihänder would be hard no matter where you carry them. Most illustrations of those that I have seen have them carried say over the shoulder (maybe wrapped in cloth to protect the blade?)

i dont really mind, but if they add sheathing its better.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

This is a very minor matter that is purely cosmetic . . .

Please, folks, let's always remember for this game that cosmetic issues are going to be a LOT more minor because your character will be ONE. INCH. HIGH. You really won't be able to see details like this for 90% of the stuff.

This has been a public service message.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

This is a very minor matter that is purely cosmetic . . .

Please, folks, let's always remember for this game that cosmetic issues are going to be a LOT more minor because your character will be ONE. INCH. HIGH. You really won't be able to see details like this for 90% of the stuff.

This has been a public service message.

This is very true, and so it is quite easy to fix this "issue" (it's such a small matter). Simply show the characters not holding a weapon when in a peaceful area. Also, with the technical progress that has been made, I am sure that such details can be implemented without too much of a headache, even if the results will not be all that obvious.

One of the games that really annoyed me with this was Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2 actually). Characters would sometimes hold their weapons in (non-hostile) cutscenes and even when fiddling with locked boxes or computers. How do you type on a keyboard while holding two blasters at the same time? :p

Make sense, not war.

As well as all equipped weapons being visible on the character (no matter their size) i'd also like to see helms being carried in the crook of ones arm when in peaceful areas, like in the original Diablo. A little flourish but satisfying in the attention to detail, it's these little things that serve to bring the world to life for myself. Unfortunately most gamers seem content to make do with diminishing features every year but hopefully Eternity can stem the tide of only the combat, conversation and adolescent romances being prioritised.

I'd also like to see resting animations for when one is idling around the campfire, the fighter hones his implements of destruction, the monk performs his kata's, the cipher meditates, the wizard pores over his grimoires, the priest mumbles his devotions etcetera. And sleeping under their blankets for those who need rest obviously.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Could you clarify please Mr Rjshae? As far as I remeber the characters of the Dragon Age game stand around immobile, and are not even able to draw their weapons if not engaging in combat (which seems a little silly if you're venturing into those Dark Road places.) As a DM I would have penalised them severely for such slovenly behaviour.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

My own selfish request is to have a toggle to go to civilian clothes - if only because I play a thief and would like to, y'know, not be in my thief gear when not thieving. :)

That's an interesting thought. Maybe wielding weapons and wearing armour could affect the way you are treated by people you want to intimidate or talk peacefully with.

As well as all equipped weapons being visible on the character (no matter their size) i'd also like to see helms being carried in the crook of ones arm when in peaceful areas, like in the original Diablo. A little flourish but satisfying in the attention to detail, it's these little things that serve to bring the world to life for myself. Unfortunately most gamers seem content to make do with diminishing features every year but hopefully Eternity can stem the tide of only the combat, conversation and adolescent romances being prioritised.

I agree with the general sentiment of this post, and the idea of characters carrying headgear under their arm. Once again, it's a question of minor details. But then, the devil is in the details. Yes, these are small things and many may not even notice them, but for those that do notice these little things, it'll help to make the world that much more alive and interesting.

Make sense, not war.

My take on it is that it may be a minor cosmetic detail, but if the goal is to create an immersive experience then, at the very least, weapons should not be displayed at all when a character is in non-combat situations. It becomes harder to suspend disbelief if your character is brandishing weapons at all times.

If there is time and budget for polish in this area, and other higher priority concerns addressed, then perhaps it would be a "nice-to-have" to refine this and add sheathing/unsheathing, removing or donning a helm, etc.

The more animations, the better, but there is one question - how difficult it is to implement all this stuff. If making sheathed weapons or different idle animations will take a lot of time, then probably developers should focus their attention on other, more important matters and not on making an 'immersive' experience. If you really don't want to see you weapons while in town, you could just unequip them.

• Like 1

Could you clarify please Mr Rjshae? As far as I remeber the characters of the Dragon Age game stand around immobile, and are not even able to draw their weapons if not engaging in combat (which seems a little silly if you're venturing into those Dark Road places.) As a DM I would have penalised them severely for such slovenly behaviour.

IIRC, when the party entered into a combat situation in Dragon Age 2, they auto-prepared their weapons and shields using a fairly dramatic animation. Alas, sometimes it was the only clue that you were entering combat because of the nuisance camera angle. But perhaps I'm not remembering the details precisely. :geek:

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yes that's what I remember too, thank you.

Tea for the teapot!