When did the Delaware project start?

Just curious about the development cycle of Delaware. Did work start immediately after the founding of Black Isle, or has work only started in earnest within the last 6 months ?

Point is, If they have only just started on Kotor2 recently, they might have been doing something else for Delaware up until now. With a currently rumoured release schedule of Feb. 2005, that leaves a potential 18 month (may be few months wrong) of development on an existing engine...

[wild hypothesis]Kotor2 could be whatever was the second state in the US with a development time of about 12 month on the Odyssey engine[/wild hypothesis] B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Point is, If they have only just started on Kotor2 recently, they might have been doing something else for Delaware up until now.

It's possible...

however, I don't think they started on Kotor2 "recently" -- 10 to 12 months ago at least.

Basically, it sound as if you'd like to see two releases from Obsidian rather closer together. I would also. I don't know how feasible that is, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

12 month development cycles wouldn't be unrealistic, if the publisher handles the sound, using existing engines and preproduction being done already before the company is founded. Could make for a fall 2004 release of a first title followed by a second title, whose production began around Christmas 2003 with a release date of february 2005.

Two titles with 12-14 months + some preproduction time in the works ?

Could also be, that they are so busy playing UT2004 and console games, that they need like 18 months to produce their first title on an existing engine :unsure:

Also depends completely on the head count. Can't wait to see some company profile and bios on their website

Naive hope: They put as much effort into the story and characters in all that time, as they did in PS:T

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

KOTOR2 wouldn't take more than 18 months, including serious pre-production. Remember, from the interview, we gather that they're still using old models to show off things, meaning that at this stage, Obsidian can have anywhere from near-complete design documents and some level experimentation, to... fully modified engine, art/models/etc in progress, some levels done. In any case, KOTOR2 is in early stages of a not-very-long development schedule, and ther

I think you're being a little unrealistic. Feargus didn't leave Interplay until March or April of 2003 and obviously needed some time to put Obsidian together. KOTOR shipped for the XBox in June or July. The EGM article about KOTOR2 says they were already working on the game before #1 shipped. It sounds to me like KOTOR2 was first on the plate.

At some point soon, when they stop pretending that KOTOR2 hasn't yet been announced, we'll know for sure.

Obsidian didn't start before May.... because last year for E3 my understanding is that Feargus had been contacting people and putting out feelers. --- I can't remember when they officially started calling themselves a company though.

Obsidian would have had at least 6 months to work on KOTOR2 by now if they started as soon as they organised themselves. But what is unrealistic, Sarkus, if you are replying to my post? Perhaps the more 'optimistic' end of my estimation; perhaps, but I had always leaned towards the opinion that they have not done much actual work on the game yet.

But then, Delaware may not be KOTOR2. :)

Obsidian would have had at least 6 months to work on KOTOR2 by now if they started as soon as they organised themselves. But what is unrealistic, Sarkus, if you are replying to my post? Perhaps the more 'optimistic' end of my estimation; perhaps, but I had always leaned towards the opinion that they have not done much actual work on the game yet.

But then, Delaware may not be KOTOR2. :unsure:

When I used the term "unrealistic" I meant in terms of thinking Delaware isn't KOTOR2. As a previous post mentioned, Obsidian didn't really exist until June 2003. We know from the EGM article that they had KOTOR2 before KOTOR even shipped, which means that had it pretty much at the same time they opened their doors, or shortly thereafter. While they now have the staff for two games, it's taken some time to reach that point. Finally, KOTOR2 will be official shortly - it's almost certainly the first game they will release. Given their naming convention, it's likely it's Delaware (the first state). The fact they haven't set up another project named board means whatever number 2 is, it's probably a way's off from being announced.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

True, but there's still a possibility that is bigger than "in theory". While I am leaning towards your view too, depending on a variety of facts, I'm almost certain of a second project.