Take special care with music and ambiance

I don't know about other people, but for me, music is one of the most important element of videogames, especially of RPGs. And since the infinity engine games had amazing music, I have very high standards for PE.

I trust in Justin Bell, and I know he will do his best at this project. I hope I won't be dissapointed. Just don't fall into the trap of "over-epicness". A lot of RPGs today have a generic "OMG-I am so epic" sound, which to me is boring. I hope there will be lots of subtle music in the game, which help to set the tone. Like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHhD6Kzq5PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

For me these musics do so much more, than a generic high pumping epic orchestra. I feel totally immersed. It is a peacefull track, yet it urges for adventure. Please do something similar. Justin, I'm not asking you to copy these music, I'm sure you have your own style. Just keep in mind, that these great soundtracks have a great part in making the IE games so great.

I also would like to say a few words about ambiance sounds. I want sounds in the game. This might sound stupid, but there are a lot of RPGs that are lacking in the ambiant department. I want to hear the wind in the forest, I want to hear the flowing of the river. When I step into an inn, I want to hear people laughing, the musicians playing something. Roaming the streets of the city, I want to hear dogs barking, the towncryer shouting, and people talking.

And if you accompany the great ambiance with the fitting music, it creates a powerful mix. I hope you will do the right thing.

• Like 2

J_C from Codexia

Phew, that was close. I thought for certain they were going to mess up the audio. Glad you warned them in time. ;)

You can never know. I bet they planned to use chipmusic in PE. But now that I've warned them, everything is just fine. :D

Seriously, it is easy to mess up the audio. I just wanted to tell them what I think is the best approach about music.

J_C from Codexia