Hero-U Kickstarter: Quest For Glory spiritual successor

Hurlshort

The original (well, remake) has some hella dated combat that is clunky as hell (I ended up just spamming attacks) which made the game a lot more challenging than it needed to be.

Game is funny funny funny though (in that old school Sierra charm). I skipped the second and got the free, more modern remake instead.

Though as I go through a lot of these retro games, the idea that the old school RPG was a 60 hour mega journey is less and less the case. I'm also a lot better at video games than I used to be (I remember getting stuck a lot when I played this decades ago). I beat the game in probably 5 or 6 hours.

Interesting, so are you saying you didn't play the GOG version for the second QFG but a newer version?

I have to chuckle about how hard those games were. You are right, I remember spending hours just trying to get commands correct. We would always over complicate the commands. So for example, I would type in "open the strange door", instead of saying " open door" and the game would always respond with "unknown command"

I didn't even know what a candelabra was back then and there was a part where you cut it down to stop the bandits :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nah, after playing the point and click version, dealing with a text parser for the second one was making me twitch.

Free remake here:

http://www.agdintera...com/games/qfg2/

Although I didn't mind the brigand scene. That's just Sierra adventure game stuff. The combat itself was what I found clunky (the randomish encounters and so forth)

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

Free remake here:

http://www.agdintera...com/games/qfg2/

Nice, thanks :)

I'll use that version when I play the game

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It might be too long. The old QFG fans might have moved on.

I am an original QFG fan but I feel we are just inundated with games that we feel we should fund, I guess you can't fund everything?

Well hold on now. We are starting to see an uptick. Maybe a late rush could get this thing done. It would be really close though. Anybody want to toss a few bills in their direction?

It might be too long. The old QFG fans might have moved on.

I am an original QFG fan but I feel we are just inundated with games that we feel we should fund, I guess you can't fund everything?

Well hold on now. We are starting to see an uptick. Maybe a late rush could get this thing done. It would be really close though. Anybody want to toss a few bills in their direction?

I'm already in for quite a bit, hoping for a strong push in the end :(

I haven't contributed (my policy for contributing is effectively "Would I buy this game right now knowing virtually nothing about the game and not having seen it"). If it gets close though, I'll probably chip in.

Money isn't super flowing and it's tough to justify plopping down some money for something I won't see a return in for upwards of 2 years. Sorry :\

Heathen!

Actually this project isn't quite on the scale of PE, so it estimates a release at the end of next year. It had a pretty good day today, so I think it will get close, but I'm still very worried.

Did you read over the updates? They are funny and witty, which is what I expect from the Coles.

Man, I was getting pretty worried... today was a $22K day with momentum growing! Standing at ~$275K, we need another $125K. Now there's 5 days, 12 hours left... yesterday was a $12K day, so if we project that tomorrow will go up to $25K (from today's $22K), then we'll totally make it with only $25K days (meaning that our daily pledge level is where we don't even need an end-of-campaign spike). Of course, as the PE team constantly has reminded us, every dollar counts. So, for those who say "looks interesting, I'll buy it retail", they actually will get a better game by pre-ordering, for obvious reasons.

I'd consider it a winner, and hope that anyone who only backs winners will at least come on board for a pre-order! Especially if you're a Linux RPG fan, this one is not to be missed.

Edited by s_d

With a bit over 3 days to go they need about 90k to get to the goal. I'm starting to get a tiny bit optimistic, I think they're going to just make it. I'm guessing they end up with 425k. Here's hoping.

:)

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah got to rally the troops...if you have any troops to rally. 4 days to get about 100K.

Okay, okay you win. I'm rallied :)

I donated $50 , a week ago I wouldn't have thought this game was possible but I now see the finish line

John Milton 

It's looking pretty tight, but at least they are getting close.

They brought up a good point with Shadowrun Online, how it looked like it was going to be a good deal short and then it got $200,000 in the last two days. Rumor is that was some sort of investor, seems odd to me.

It's looking pretty tight, but at least they are getting close.

They brought up a good point with Shadowrun Online, how it looked like it was going to be a good deal short and then it got $200,000 in the last two days. Rumor is that was some sort of investor, seems odd to me.

An investor would be an interesting development? But it could explain the influx of cash. I realllllllllly hope it makes it

John Milton 

Definitely a busy day for pledges! Less than 60k to go in 40 hours, it's doable.

Yeah it was the best day since day 2. I think the last day is going to be big and should push us over the top but we will see. Certainly the last day for P:E was bigger than any of us could have predicted at the time.

It'll suck for it to get this close and fail short.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They need 45k in 28 hours right now. They've been adding a lot of people too, up to 5200 contributors. I'm watching this very closely, it is a lot more stressful than the PE one, which is the only other one I was really excited about.

They need 45k in 28 hours right now. They've been adding a lot of people too, up to 5200 contributors. I'm watching this very closely, it is a lot more stressful than the PE one, which is the only other one I was really excited about.

Its looking very good, I am confidant they will get it

John Milton