Hero-U Kickstarter: Quest For Glory spiritual successor

Hurlshort

The Quest for Glory series is my all-time favorite, with a perfect blend of adventure and RPG elements. Lori and Corey Cole are working on a new project, and their video shows that they've already done quite a bit of groundwork for it. It is a bit tough for me after dropping a big amount of PE, but luckily this campaign will take us into the next month so I should be able to come up with a decent pledge.

• Like 3

The other thread is smelly. All hail Hurlshot's superior thread!

:lol:

I'd like a reward tier with a giant paper poster of the ewe wearing the conical mage hat.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sadly this looks nothing like the Quest for Glory games. Some of the art really looks like it, then reading those will only be used for conversations and such and the lousy looking dungeon maps will be the main game interface. I'll follow it to see if it looks better, but when the QFG series is one of my favorite series and its creator does a kickstarter, I'm sad that my initial reaction is disapointment.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sadly this looks nothing like the Quest for Glory games. Some of the art really looks like it, then reading those will only be used for conversations and such and the lousy looking dungeon maps will be the main game interface. I'll follow it to see if it looks better, but when the QFG series is one of my favorite series and its creator does a kickstarter, I'm sad that my initial reaction is disapointment.

Huh, I'm a bit surprised, my reaction was very positive. The art style reminds me a bit of QFG4, which was more cartoony. But really this is not a big budget type game, it's a small team and it is going to look more like and indie project than any of their Sierra games. The overhead perspective in the video looks closer to a final fantasy type map than the traditional hand painted adventure game backgrounds.

I'm not quite sure why they went that direction with the art, but it looks like their art team is comfortable with it. The Cole's are going to have more of a say in how the story works and the humor, which I'm glad to support.

536b515a51b48a74740fb22d3de1e865_large.jpg?1350691384

That doesn't look pretty close to QFG to you?

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

I was a bit confused too, but the most useful bit of information was hidden in the oft-ignored FAQ section at the bottom.

Hero-U will be a top-down, 2D, tiled game. The overhead view you can see for a few seconds in the video represents the perspective, but *not* the look of the final art. It is a first concept drawing. Key game scenes will also be represented by full painted backgrounds such as you see in the video and in the project description. Conversations and combat will use large animated characters on each side of the screen. We are using this approach because it will let us include the best story and game play, while staying within our budget limitations. If we meet stretch goals, we will increase the art budget and have more painted background scenes as well as more tile variations.

Confession time: I've never played any of the QfG games. I'm familiar with the concept but have no idea how the non-adventurey parts played. I can see where they're coming from when they talk about emphasising the RPG side of it in this new game though, and I support it. Well, to the tune of $35 anyway for now.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Huh, I'm a bit surprised, my reaction was very positive. The art style reminds me a bit of QFG4, which was more cartoony. But really this is not a big budget type game, it's a small team and it is going to look more like and indie project than any of their Sierra games. The overhead perspective in the video looks closer to a final fantasy type map than the traditional hand painted adventure game backgrounds.

I'm not quite sure why they went that direction with the art, but it looks like their art team is comfortable with it. The Cole's are going to have more of a say in how the story works and the humor, which I'm glad to support.

536b515a51b48a74740fb22d3de1e865_large.jpg?1350691384

That doesn't look pretty close to QFG to you?

That does, but as it said in the FAQ

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/216/814/d769390b977ea9a1a208f5f4ed05fe62_large.jpg?1350629498

Is more how its going to look.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

That is the persepctive that you will be moving around from, but the artwork is just a rough draft.

Honestly I still think it looks decent. Again this is very much an indie project, it isnt the scale of Project Eternity.

• Like 2

I don't want the scale of Project Eternity. I'd be happy if they just did a new game in the style of QFG4. Its still early in the kickstarter, there's a pretty high chance something will come out that will grab me, but so far it hasn't.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

You know if you up it to $50, you get the whole QFG series :)

It is also available on GoG.

I've had them on GoG for a good while now, though I didn't really buy them with the intention of playing them. I was thinking of putting in $50 regardless before the campaign even started of course, so I may end up there eventually anyway, but it won't be because of the rewards, which if I were to view as a regular transaction, poor value. Alas the physical tier I won't be able to stretch to for this.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

In a way though I'm sort of curious what'd it be like to go into this new game without any preconceived notions colouring my expectations. And then revisit the earlier titles. Not saying that's what I'll do, but plenty of time yet to decide. I have watched a short video sort-of-review of the first part of QfG1 EGA and it looked fine to me anyway, whereas early King's Quest would probably be a bit of a reach.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Thought I'd give this a bump. I'm a little worried about the speed they are getting pledges, but maybe I'm just spoiled after watching Project Eternity blow up. They still have a lot of time, but I'm hoping they hit their goal with plenty of time to spare.

I'm also concerned there is a little bit of Kickstarter fatigue :(

• Like 2

Sierra was my favorite company during my childhood and I was a fan of all their games, Quest for Glory included. I will almost certainly be pledging and I hope they succeed. The goal is attainable but it looks really iffy right now.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, I'm a bit leery of doing another Kickstarted, but I seem to remember playing a Quest for Glory I really enjoyed a while back. Damn, that must have been around 20 years ago. I didn't even realize there were other titles in the series until I saw some folks talking about it on this forum. I'll keep an eye on it and if I can through in twenty to fifty bucks to help it succeed later, I will. Still over twenty days to go, though.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'd certainly like to see what else they can come up with. I'm not particularly worried about them changing the combat and game view, because perspective and combat were not what made QfG great for me -- the story and the humour were far more important in that regard.

• Like 2