Hero-U Kickstarter: Quest For Glory spiritual successor

Hurlshort

The new KS is nearly half funded (49k of 100k) with 33 days still to go but I'm wondering if they might be getting trolled as they have a suspicious amount of high level backers. Over half the current count is being funded by 11 out of 666 backers.  

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how much people loved the classic games  :unsure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/description

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

The new KS is nearly half funded (49k of 100k) with 33 days still to go but I'm wondering if they might be getting trolled as they have a suspicious amount of high level backers. Over half the current count is being funded by 11 out of 666 backers.  

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how much people loved the classic games  :unsure:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transolargames/hero-u-adventure-role-playing-game/description

Did you fund this second one ? I am not sure I will...I feel very little interest to help them for some reason 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No, I only backed the first because it was looking like it might not make it and so many people here were into it.

I'm not even sure why I'm following it, I already gave my copy away

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

No, I only backed the first because it was looking like it might not make it and so many people here were into it.

Well I only supported it on KS because Hurlshot said so  :biggrin:

No the real reason was the nostalgic factor, Quest for Glory was my first " RPG " I ever played 

But I am tired of paying extra for badly planned KS just because people are known in the industry

It is possible to do a proper budget and stick to it if you are diligent and committed so these KS companies must start  scoping the project costs better 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Apparently they know one of the 10k backers from earlier Facebook interactions, so at least that much seems to be legit. High pledge trolls are not unheard of on KS, however.

• Like 1

Never underestimate fools and their money.

Said the guy with the gold badge.

• Like 1

Well, the Coles have been very transparent and candid about the problems. And they seem committed to delivering the game. And what is there looks promising. I'm actually contemplating supporting the 2nd KS when (if) I have some funds available.

Well I only supported it on KS because Hurlshot said so  happy0203.gif

No the real reason was the nostalgic factor, Quest for Glory was my first " RPG " I ever played 

But I am tired of paying extra for badly planned KS just because people are known in the industry

It is possible to do a proper budget and stick to it if you are diligent and committed so these KS companies must start  scoping the project costs better

In my opinion they played bit too much with Quest for Glory card with this game as it does not resemble one, even if they finish it.

And I will not give them more funding because I don't feel that game they are making is one that I really want to play. Even though I like Coles personally and respect what they have done in past I don't think that their current efforts are something that I want back. I hope that they didn't destroyed their financial future with this game with all that loan taking and risking their house.

Also their plan to use freelance contractors to do most of the game seem for me to be very risky and as we see it was risky thing to do and didn't yield good results. Only reason why they have now product that has possible to get ready someday is because of some of their backers and fans were actually experienced developers themselves, who wanted to see game finished so badly that they persuade Coles to hire them to do it.

But anyway best of luck for them in their efforts.

• Like 1

In my opinion they played bit too much with Quest for Glory card with this game as it does not resemble one, even if they finish it.

I don't know -- the break-in demo had very strong QFG vibes for me.

Edited by Starker

I don't know -- the break-in demo had very strong QFG vibes for me.

It has some similarities as does combat demo, but mainly they feel like they are part of another sub-genre of adventure games. If I didn't know that they are done by Coles and that they are marketed using Quest for Glory series I would not link them with those games.

The writing is definitely QFG writing.  Lots of puns, slightly corny, but very charming.  That's really all I'm interested in.

edit:  They got hit by a troll for $10k too.  Geez, people need better hobbies.

Edited by Hurlshot

Seems the other 10k backer was a troll after all -- the campaign dropped to 47k.

In other news, Lori posted a number of stretch goals they hope to get funds for: http://hero-u.com/kickstarter-stretch-goals/

Looks like a couple of pretty interesting areas got cut from the final game due to budget. Hope they'll get enough to put the Gog-SoSloth temple in at least.

• Like 1

Seems the other 10k backer was a troll after all -- the campaign dropped to 47k.

In other news, Lori posted a number of stretch goals they hope to get funds for: http://hero-u.com/kickstarter-stretch-goals/

Looks like a couple of pretty interesting areas got cut from the final game due to budget. Hope they'll get enough to put the Gog-SoSloth temple in at least.

Okay it is looking better, I tell you what. If people on this thread who backed the original game also commit to this KS then I will also pledge additional funds. Nothing hectic, $25 or so :)

John Milton 

• 2 years later...

Totally forgot I backed this, there's an actual beta!

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Totally forgot I backed this, there's an actual beta!

Yeah, I backed it also. I got an email recently. I need to read it, but I don't think it's released yet. I don't have interest in a beta. I want the finished version. On the other hand, I've waited this long, so it's not like I need to get disgruntled about it. It'll be done when it's done.

χαίρετε

Yeah I got the email about the beta version, I'm wanting to play the final version myself. I saw they had the wallpaper collection, kind of surprised to see Mordavia there, I didn't think they were going to be allowed to use QFG places. 

Yeah I got the email about the beta version, I'm wanting to play the final version myself. I saw they had the wallpaper collection, kind of surprised to see Mordavia there, I didn't think they were going to be allowed to use QFG places. 

The Coles own the world that Quest for Glory takes place in, including the characters therein. They just can't make a Quest for Glory game itself because they don't own the IP.

The Coles own the world that Quest for Glory takes place in, including the characters therein. They just can't make a Quest for Glory game itself because they don't own the IP.

That's ****ed up, like Margret Wiess and Tracy Hickman own Soth but they can't write about him in Kyrnn. 

• 3 months later...

This thread needs some threadomancy:

I finished the game a month ago and it was fun.

There are choices, but mostly not in the dialogues, but in the way how you want to spend your day (learning, chosing a course, etc). The combat is not very complex, but allows varriety through gadgets and maybe spells. You can miss a lot, if you don't play careful (should have chosen that Wizardcourse, humph), but it motivates to play again.

The story is good too. It's not about saving the world this time, but about growing up and how you choose spending your life.

I liked it and I think I will replay it, because I missed a few spots and two teachers. I hope there will be a german translation, because you could fix younger children with this too. And like I said it's nice to play something that isn't all about doom and gloom.

• Like 1