Game Masters & Dungeon Masters.

JayDGee

Paper and Pen RPG questions  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ran an RPG before?

• I'm a regular GM/DM have ran campaigns for year.
    • I've ran a few games.
    • Tried it prefer playing
    • Only ever played I don't want to hide behind the screen.
    • What? With paper and dice? No ****ing way.
  2. 2. Game Master or Dungeon Master?

3. 3. How many games have you created that you have never ran?

• More than I care to admit. There's a crate of old scenarios in the basement.
    • A few games fell apart before they got started.
    • Only 1 and I'm getting ready to start it soon.
    • Never I've always had consistent players.
    • I don't run games I play them
    • I'm not some D&D nerd ... I mean what's D&D?

I love role-playing games. I enjoying playing them but I prefer to run them.

One of the most frustrating things about running games is never getting to tell the story. Sometimes your players will just go a different path and miss out on something you made this can be horrible but creates some great creative challenges when forced to rewrite a scenarios in your head.

Sometimes the game just never happens. I have made scenarios, settings and entire worlds that players have never set foot in. I might go into more detail with that later

Anyone else ever had issues like this?

Edited by JayDGee

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

was meant to be in Pen-and-Paper Gaming section. How the hell did it end up here? Apart from the obvious answer of it being my **** up.

There a mod that can shift it for me?

Edited by JayDGee

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

Look at bottom of the main page. There is list of people currently browsing this forum. Moderators have orange names. Just PM one and s/he will handle this.

Why is it the most obvious solution is hard to see. Oh yeah I'm a Muppet.

I don't like your option for not playing, makes it seem like I don't want to try it.

I'd like to have tried my hand at pen and paper...but I never had any friends that shared such an interest.

Alas, my life has felt empty and meaningless due to this.

I don't like your option for not playing, makes it seem like I don't want to try it.

I'd like to have tried my hand at pen and paper...but I never had any friends that shared such an interest.

Alas, my life has felt empty and meaningless due to this.

apologies it was something I have clearly overlooked, unfortunately for some reason I am unable to edit the poll.

if you want to get into pnp gaming and are looking for a local group of like minded individuals Obsidian Portal (no relation) has list of local games by map http://www.obsidianportal.com/map might be helpful

Edited by JayDGee

I prefer Judge or Storyteller to GM/DM.

Storyteller I have always liked but don't ever see myself using. Depending on the game I definitely see judge as working.

Haven't played in years, kids, wife and job, but I used to be a regular when I had a life. Never really bothered with a title, except maybe for Oi or You bastard. I have entire worlds tucked away in my noggin and my study, real shame that my old thursday nighters aren't together anymore.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Haven't played in years, kids, wife and job, but I used to be a regular when I had a life. Never really bothered with a title, except maybe for Oi or You bastard. I have entire worlds tucked away in my noggin and my study, real shame that my old thursday nighters aren't together anymore.

You bastard is definitely a name that has been used for me while gaming.

• Like 1

I have recently acquired the Traveller (Mongoose edition) rulebook and, as I found the stock campaign universe underwhelming, am currently in the process of writing my own campaign setting. It's going to be really detailed and may take be months upon months, especially since my studies are quite demanding.

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

DM'd a couple of games. Played Pen and paper from my 13th to my 20th year, and then it kindof ran out. Women, wives, kids relationships and marriage ment that we were pulled apart and only played the occasional CRPG. We had a short revival when we tried to create our own NWN module. But really its been too long. Im 39 now and I still remember my pen and paper days fondly. The CRPG is good, but it wont ever beat the D20ies and a diabolical and sadistic but fair DM;

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

I've been DMing for around ten years now. I tend to use the title of Dungeon Master no matter what system I'm actually referring to, because that's what sticks in my mind the most. I usually DM first and third edition D&D and MERP, but occasionally a few other systems as well.

There have been a few campaigns I've thought of but never got around to DMing. Often, though, I just end up recycling those ideas as parts of one of the two long-running games I'm in. I do also play, roughly as often as I DM.

Accounting for the players haring off and doing their own thing is something that I struggled with for years, but now I've finally become good enough at winging it that it generally isn't a problem. I plan out the basic plot, things for them to do, and the areas that they'll be in, and then I improvise if they dash off in a direction that I wasn't expecting.

knightofchaoss.jpg

Used to GM.

I enjoy both GM/Storytelling and being a player.

Can't ever be a DM. To me a DM is a Deviant Master, leader of a certain cult of Slaanesh in WHFRPG 1st Edition.

Deviant Master would sum up how I control my players sometimes

• Like 1

Players can only be controlled through fear... and surprise. Surprise and fear....

At least those ***** who in my campaign, when confronted with the murder mystery, said "Don't go that way! That's a quest hook, better ignore it."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Players can only be controlled through fear... and surprise. Surprise and fear....

At least those ***** who in my campaign, when confronted with the murder mystery, said "Don't go that way! That's a quest hook, better ignore it."

if you don't want to go to the quest why would you play the game?

The fun bit was when the player later complained that nothing was happening ;)

Oh I've had that guy in a game

I hate that guy

the guy that spends half the time trying to distract players with random bull**** then complaining that the story is going to slow

:banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

The fun bit was when the player later complained that nothing was happening ;)

Oh I've had that guy in a game

I hate that guy

the guy that spends half the time trying to distract players with random bull**** then complaining that the story is going to slow

:banghead:

I think everyone has had that guy. He is the same guy who goes over the pockets of every corpse on a battlefield looking for coins and "artifacts".

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

I think everyone has had that guy. He is the same guy who goes over the pockets of every corpse on a battlefield looking for coins and "artifacts".

I call that Napoleonic peasant mode as they would rip out peoples teeth if they had in game value.

• Like 1