Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want your character portraits to be like Baldur's Gate or NWN2?

poll

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented? (558 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented?

1. Baldur's Gate (Artist's rendition) (458 votes [82.08%])

Percentage of vote: 82.08%

2. Neverwinter Nights 2 (3D model that you change during character creation) (84 votes [15.05%])

Percentage of vote: 15.05%

3. I have my own idea, not related to the above. (16 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

arrowhead

arrowhead

Archer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
<p>

With how heavily weighted we are towards 2D art, I'm surprised nobody's yet criticized PST's portraits. Much as I liked the game's aesthetic, the 3D art used in the bestiary and portraits was... unpleasant.

I've never played NWN2. Were the portraits in NWN2 like those in PST (3D and animated)?

If yes, then I'd definitely prefer 2D portraits like the ones in BG. They look better and if I don't find anything I like, I could easily switch to a custom portrait. I'm not really sure how custom portraits could work with 3D portraits.

Fimbul

Fimbul

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
2D portraits add so much atmosphere to a game and the customization is invaluable!
I also like the idea of different portrait variations for light, medium and heavy armored and injured chars. It would work just like the implementation of small, medium and large character portraits in the BG and IWD series, only that variation of size is obsolete anyway since scaling is simple to implement nowadays, fading of one variation to another without popping as well.

I believe such stuff counts to the 4 million goal but it would also be enough to implement the script and leave the rest to the community. :dancing:
  • romka-unknown and gamerdude130 like this

Thibaut

Thibaut

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I may be a bit old fashioned, but please no 3D.

2D portraits add so much atmosphere to a game and the customization is invaluable!

I totally agree.
  • romka-unknown and gamerdude130 like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1959 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

<p>

With how heavily weighted we are towards 2D art, I'm surprised nobody's yet criticized PST's portraits. Much as I liked the game's aesthetic, the 3D art used in the bestiary and portraits was... unpleasant.

I've never played NWN2. Were the portraits in NWN2 like those in PST (3D and animated)?

If yes, then I'd definitely prefer 2D portraits like the ones in BG. They look better and if I don't find anything I like, I could easily switch to a custom portrait. I'm not really sure how custom portraits could work with 3D portraits.

No, it was just a static screenshot of your character's ingame face with a rather bland and moronic expression on their face, and from an angle that really didn't do the character's looks any good.

romka-unknown

romka-unknown

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
In NWN1 is a very good option. 3d character model is 2d portrait. This option does not spoil the atmosphere of the game

Posted Image

Margaretha

Margaretha

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
NWN(2?)'s style. It's uglier but beautiful hand-crafted portraits are very limiting and I never really connected to any (speaking of my character's portrait - I loved some companions'. Dynaheir !).

Edited by Margaretha, 20 October 2012 - 03:32 AM.

Nerei

Nerei

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I definitely prefer the BG style character portraits. Not that there is anything wrong with the NWN2 style, I just do not like it as much.
Also I'm not sure how they would add NWN2 style portraits to the game without making a character models with a lot more detail than would is really needed for an IE style game. which would be a fair amount of work just for the portraits

Finally consider that the 3000$ kickstarter pledge included:

BECOME A CUSTOM PORTRAIT IN THE GAME + GET A SIGNED ART PRINT OF YOUR PORTRAIT.

That really rules out NWN2 style generated portraits
  • rjshae likes this

JOG

JOG

Knave of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Baldur's Gate or MoTB. Those portraits give the characters um... character, while the rendered chargen images are just bland faces with no expression.

Even modifying the portrait depending on the current outfit can be done with 2d images (and was done since Ultima 7 Serpent's Isle) but it will mean much more work for the artists.

Customisation is no argument for render portraits either, as long as there is a "portraits" folder, you can use anything as your character portrait, even a screenshot snippet from a game with render portraits.

MoobooMagoo

MoobooMagoo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think, given the type of game this is and the type of nostalgia it is trying to convey, static portraits would be best.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
there are some photo booths that have the option to turn your photo into a color sketch picture. they could implement something similar to make instant BG style portraits out of 3D models

ValarMorghulis

ValarMorghulis

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
2D portraits for sure. However whether they should be BG style or the darker IWD style shoudl depend ont he atmosphere of PE right? I mean IWD had a much darker feel to it and the portraits fit the game's atmosphere. Either way I feel OE should allow custom PC and companion portraits to be uploaded so each gamer is happy.

Kurumi Morishita

Kurumi Morishita

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd like to see some kind of IWD-styled 2D portraits that are made (and updated!) from your 3D model. Guess something like that could be achieved through filters?

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3020 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think that they should have some portraits like they did in BG.

Also, I think that we should have the option to import our own portraits.

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
NWN2 needed the face creation system for the main game, because the 3D models in game had detailed faces.
I'd assume Eternity's in game 3D models to be maybe about the same level as in NWN. Don't need the higher polygon count when everything is viewed fro higher up.

So the detailed 3D face modeling system would be just for the portraits. Doesn't make sense to me.
And even in NWN2, the faces were so butt ugly I couldn't use an elf character even when I wanted, because my eyes started bleeding. (And the same in Skyrim)

Elves are slender forest people, with unsurpassed archery skills and faces that look like crows arse.

Eldmore

Eldmore

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
Baldur's gate, definitely

eselle28

eselle28

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm strongly in favor of 2D portraits, with perhaps a 3D sprite in the inventory screen showing armor. I think portraits solve a lot of controversies and complaints about characters in the game being too ugly/pretty or too sexualized/prudish-looking. There are enough high-quality portrait sets available that most people should be able to find some that fit their preferences. Beyond that, I think 2D portraits are a nice way to get around the whole "hide helmet option" debate, since they let people equip appropriate protective gear without sacrificing the feeling of being able to see their character's face. And portraits seem to make life a little easier on modders as well, or at least on the ones who like to design new joinable companions.
  • romka-unknown likes this

BasaltineBadger

BasaltineBadger

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
I'm in for the 2D portraits, but they should do more player's portraits, because there was not enough of them in the BG2. If there's no money to make a decent number of them they should go NVN route and make a lot of portraits but use them as faces of other NPCs through the game.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

I'm in for the 2D portraits, but they should do more player's portraits, because there was not enough of them in the BG2. If there's no money to make a decent number of them they should go NVN route and make a lot of portraits but use them as faces of other NPCs through the game.

If they make modding and importing portraits a breeze, this shouldn't be a problem. You could probably use some of your favorite portraits from NVN, ID, BG, if you pleased.

Edited by Hormalakh, 20 October 2012 - 06:48 PM.

GrinningReaper659

GrinningReaper659

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I would definitely prefer 2d portraits as in BG and IWD (and, as someone has already mentioned, perhaps a greater wealth of options than there was in BG), and the inability to select a portrait that belongs to an in-game NPC by default, I don't see any reason to include those as options. Also, of course, the ability to import custom portraits enables those that can't find something they like to simply import something that they do like.

Feldoth

Feldoth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Why not something in between? I posted this while kickstarter was still going crazy, so it got buried pretty fast, but so far I've not heard any (accurate) criticism of it: http://forums.obsidi...ered-portraits/

It doesn't account for everything, but I think it provides a nice balance between 2D art and customization.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users