Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do you want your character portraits to be like Baldur's Gate or NWN2?

poll

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented? (558 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented?

1. Baldur's Gate (Artist's rendition) (458 votes [82.08%])

Percentage of vote: 82.08%

2. Neverwinter Nights 2 (3D model that you change during character creation) (84 votes [15.05%])

Percentage of vote: 15.05%

3. I have my own idea, not related to the above. (16 votes [2.87%])

Percentage of vote: 2.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10593 posts

IWD pls

I like the style of that early dwarf ranger art.

:thumbsup:

I prefer 3D paperdolls on my inventory screen, reflecting what I'm wearing but on my "HUD" or UI or whatever I prefer nicely rendered 2D images. One of the reasons being the traumatic experience that was the most ugly conceivable head wear in the two Kotor games and the blank faced, low detail heads in NWN2,
  • Droogle, eselle28, .Leif. and 1 other like this

SKahn

SKahn

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
Other: Take some of that money and hire Mark Ryden to do the portraits.

But srsly, BG style please. 3d faces look awful and would bring the overall quality down considerably. Drawn portraits have the potential to add tons of feeling and personality to the game. it would be nice to have an armored and an injured version, but ultimately I don't really care about that a much as I care about them having "character".

(Click to enlarge)
Attached File  image.jpg   99.01KB   60 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   89.17KB   67 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   120.08KB   61 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   213.34KB   51 downloads

Edited by SKahn, 19 October 2012 - 02:45 PM.

• Winter Wolf likes this

Daulmakan

Daulmakan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
I prefer BG option, but having the option to use custom portraits solves this issue in a satisfactory manner for everyone.

romka-unknown

romka-unknown

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Initially you need to see the 3D models of the characters in the game. Then we'll make a choice. Now is too early to discuss.
and while
My preference-portraits BG2 =)

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9041 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Artist portraits with ability to import my own custom ones, like in BG1.

I'd prefer they weren't completely (constantly) animated. I always find it a little weird/distracting to see npc avatar icons moving around out of the corner of my eye. But if they were, something akin to what Might and Magic 7 did would be tolerable. Slight eye shifting and reaction expressions to being hit in combat or diseased and such. Altho, in M&M, those open-mouthed expressions were pretty silly, heh.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
2D if it is what the OP means. That said, Baldur's Gate, especially BGII is way too cartoon-ish for my taste. I'd rather have IWD series portraits.

One note, though. Sawyer seems to be generating an idea of changing the expressions of portraits depending on the circumstances. However, personally, I think Obsidian writers are capable of carrying enough expressions in their writings and I don' like factors which can make the game way too cartoon-ish, as I wrote above. Such preference may more to do with VARK model in addtion to artistic one, though.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Both are fine but for this games purposes and based on what the previous info released of the project suggests... I think the baldur's gate method will work better.

Edited by Karkarov, 19 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

2D if it is what the OP means. That said, Baldur's Gate, especially BGII is way too cartoon-ish for my taste. I'd rather have IWD series portraits.

One note, though. Sawyer seems to be generating an idea of changing the expressions of portraits depending on the circumstances. However, personally, I think Obsidian writers are capable of carrying enough expressions in their writings and I don' like factors which can make the game way too cartoon-ish, as I wrote above. Such preference may more to do with VARK model in addtion to artistic one, though.

I meant either IWD-type or BG-type images. I'm not talking about a particular artist's rendition, just that they weren't using real-time rendering of your model for the portraits. Usually with real-time rendering, you sacrifice portrait quality.

Where did you hear that about Sawyer wanting to change expressions?

Edited by Hormalakh, 19 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

PsychoBlonde

PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not sure if this has been answered and this question came up in another thread (Beard technology). I wanted to get everyone's opinion: would you like to have your portraits show up as they did in Baldur's Gate (an artist's rendition) or as they did in Neverwinter Nights 2 (as a 3D model)?

I'd rather have the Baldur's Gate system simply because the 3D model of your character (which is where the 3d model comes from in NwN2) is going to be TINY. So either you'll be way zoomed in on an INCREDIBLY low quality model that will look like a child's drawing (at that zoom level, anyway), or they will have to build an entire separate system for creating and customizing a portrait model, which will be AMAZINGLY zot-intensive for the benefit you'd get out of it. Either way, TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT. The point of doing this game IE style is to eliminate a lot of the expense of all that 3D modeling and animating so they can write a dang good story instead.

However, one thing--I want the PC portraits to be COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the portraits given to companions. I do NOT want to be able to select a portrait that would be assigned to a companion. This drove me NUTS about Baldur's Gate when I found out that I'd made MY character look like Jaheira and now Jaheira looked like someone else. Dumbest design choice EVAR.
  • eselle28, Hormalakh and GrinningReaper659 like this

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

• Members
  • 1981 posts
^ Yeah it just doesn't seem time-effective for the devs to waste time and energy building up a whole "facial features" section for the 3d models.
  • Rahkir likes this

.Leif.

.Leif.

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Somewhere between Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, perhaps with higher resolution. I certainly want to change what my character looks like in game and inventory (Hair-color, face, tattoos, beard..), but something about getting to select from a large group of amazing portraits (or those that I import) has always helped detail my character.

For example, using the Red Monk from IWD as my Necromancer in BG2. It was amazing.

Wombat

Wombat

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

IIRC, it's in something awful forum while back. However, to avoid possible misunderstanding, what he was talking of was NPCs portraits (in the dialogue window, more specificaly speaking) - not PC's one.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If they do go with painted portraits, another graphical option they could consider is using normal mapping combined with minor changes in the (simulated) directional lighting (depending on the local lighting conditions in the game area). That would give the images more of a 3D look while retaining the 2D artistry.

Edited by rjshae, 19 October 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2901 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

IWD pls

Didn't Obsidian purchase the art assets of IWD? Couldn't they conceivably make these available for use in PE?

Droogle

Droogle

Red Ranger of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

IWD pls

I prefer 3D paperdolls on my inventory screen, reflecting what I'm wearing but on my "HUD" or UI or whatever I prefer nicely rendered 2D images. One of the reasons being the traumatic experience that was the most ugly conceivable head wear in the two Kotor games and the blank faced, low detail heads in NWN2,

strong this

Gulliver

Gulliver

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Baldur's Gate.

Indeed, the closer to Baldur's Gate they are, the better. I very much disliked the portraits from IWD.

Wombat

Wombat

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The below are the actual quotes.
http://forums.someth...0#post408196150

Dawn of Sorrows didn't require the "trace" casting very much, usually only when you were fighting a boss. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword required it every time you used ninpo.

Fintilgin posted:
I'd like to see emotion sub-portraits. So when you piss Cadegund off, her dialogue portrait changes to angry_cadegund.jpg, and when you talk to her about how the Dark Lord kidnapped her kitten, Whiskers, you see sad_cadegund.jpg.

Obviously you'd probably only have the time to do these for companions and few major plot figures, but I think that would be really cool.
I do want to do these and have wanted them for a while.

Oddly enough, they were in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows prior to that project being eviscerated. Though really I just ripped it off from one of the Tales of... games.

http://forums.someth...0#post408200983

coffeetable posted:
The implication here is that you're going to beat the **** out of all the $3,000 backers.

Sorry, I meant doing emotion states for major NPCs/companions. Doing it for all of the PC portraits would get... gnar.

• Suen and Hormalakh like this

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts
With how heavily weighted we are towards 2D art, I'm surprised nobody's yet criticized PST's portraits. Much as I liked the game's aesthetic, the 3D art used in the bestiary and portraits was... unpleasant.

Hey, man. Don't talk **** about Beard Guy.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
The more like Baldur's Gate 1 the better.

I do like the Icewind Dale portraits, but I think the BG1 portraits, paperdolls and avatars (UI, area art) are my favourite art styles of all the IE games.

Edited by Sensuki, 19 October 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

• Members
  • 1981 posts
Thanks for the links Wombat. I would be interested in seeing how that works. I would also hope that they implement a way for modders to change PC portraits to do so. I don't want just my NPCs to change faces when emoting. I'm sure there will be mods for that sort of thing, if they allow it.

Very cool, thanks again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users