Do you want your character portraits to be like Baldur's Gate or NWN2?

How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like your character's portraits to be implemented?

• Baldur's Gate (Artist's rendition)
    • Neverwinter Nights 2 (3D model that you change during character creation)
    • I have my own idea, not related to the above.

2D if it is what the OP means. That said, Baldur's Gate, especially BGII is way too cartoon-ish for my taste. I'd rather have IWD series portraits.

One note, though. Sawyer seems to be generating an idea of changing the expressions of portraits depending on the circumstances. However, personally, I think Obsidian writers are capable of carrying enough expressions in their writings and I don' like factors which can make the game way too cartoon-ish, as I wrote above. Such preference may more to do with VARK model in addtion to artistic one, though.

Both are fine but for this games purposes and based on what the previous info released of the project suggests... I think the baldur's gate method will work better.

Edited by Karkarov

2D if it is what the OP means. That said, Baldur's Gate, especially BGII is way too cartoon-ish for my taste. I'd rather have IWD series portraits.

One note, though. Sawyer seems to be generating an idea of changing the expressions of portraits depending on the circumstances. However, personally, I think Obsidian writers are capable of carrying enough expressions in their writings and I don' like factors which can make the game way too cartoon-ish, as I wrote above. Such preference may more to do with VARK model in addtion to artistic one, though.

I meant either IWD-type or BG-type images. I'm not talking about a particular artist's rendition, just that they weren't using real-time rendering of your model for the portraits. Usually with real-time rendering, you sacrifice portrait quality.

Where did you hear that about Sawyer wanting to change expressions?

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I'm not sure if this has been answered and this question came up in another thread (Beard technology). I wanted to get everyone's opinion: would you like to have your portraits show up as they did in Baldur's Gate (an artist's rendition) or as they did in Neverwinter Nights 2 (as a 3D model)?

I'd rather have the Baldur's Gate system simply because the 3D model of your character (which is where the 3d model comes from in NwN2) is going to be TINY. So either you'll be way zoomed in on an INCREDIBLY low quality model that will look like a child's drawing (at that zoom level, anyway), or they will have to build an entire separate system for creating and customizing a portrait model, which will be AMAZINGLY zot-intensive for the benefit you'd get out of it. Either way, TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT. The point of doing this game IE style is to eliminate a lot of the expense of all that 3D modeling and animating so they can write a dang good story instead.

However, one thing--I want the PC portraits to be COMPLETELY SEPARATE from the portraits given to companions. I do NOT want to be able to select a portrait that would be assigned to a companion. This drove me NUTS about Baldur's Gate when I found out that I'd made MY character look like Jaheira and now Jaheira looked like someone else. Dumbest design choice EVAR.

• Like 3

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

^ Yeah it just doesn't seem time-effective for the devs to waste time and energy building up a whole "facial features" section for the 3d models.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

Somewhere between Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, perhaps with higher resolution. I certainly want to change what my character looks like in game and inventory (Hair-color, face, tattoos, beard..), but something about getting to select from a large group of amazing portraits (or those that I import) has always helped detail my character.

For example, using the Red Monk from IWD as my Necromancer in BG2. It was amazing.

IIRC, it's in something awful forum while back. However, to avoid possible misunderstanding, what he was talking of was NPCs portraits (in the dialogue window, more specificaly speaking) - not PC's one.

If they do go with painted portraits, another graphical option they could consider is using normal mapping combined with minor changes in the (simulated) directional lighting (depending on the local lighting conditions in the game area). That would give the images more of a 3D look while retaining the 2D artistry.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

IWD pls

I like the style of that early dwarf ranger art.

Didn't Obsidian purchase the art assets of IWD? Couldn't they conceivably make these available for use in PE?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

IWD pls

I like the style of that early dwarf ranger art.

:thumbsup:

I prefer 3D paperdolls on my inventory screen, reflecting what I'm wearing but on my "HUD" or UI or whatever I prefer nicely rendered 2D images. One of the reasons being the traumatic experience that was the most ugly conceivable head wear in the two Kotor games and the blank faced, low detail heads in NWN2,

strong this

The below are the actual quotes.

http://forums.someth...0#post408196150

Dawn of Sorrows didn't require the "trace" casting very much, usually only when you were fighting a boss. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword required it every time you used ninpo.

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like to see emotion sub-portraits. So when you piss Cadegund off, her dialogue portrait changes to angry_cadegund.jpg, and when you talk to her about how the Dark Lord kidnapped her kitten, Whiskers, you see sad_cadegund.jpg.

Obviously you'd probably only have the time to do these for companions and few major plot figures, but I think that would be really cool.

I do want to do these and have wanted them for a while.

Oddly enough, they were in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows prior to that project being eviscerated. Though really I just ripped it off from one of the Tales of... games.

http://forums.someth...0#post408200983

coffeetable posted:

The implication here is that you're going to beat the **** out of all the $3,000 backers.

Sorry, I meant doing emotion states for major NPCs/companions. Doing it for all of the PC portraits would get... gnar.

• Like 2

With how heavily weighted we are towards 2D art, I'm surprised nobody's yet criticized PST's portraits. Much as I liked the game's aesthetic, the 3D art used in the bestiary and portraits was... unpleasant.

:thumbsup:

I prefer 3D paperdolls on my inventory screen, reflecting what I'm wearing but on my "HUD" or UI or whatever I prefer nicely rendered 2D images. One of the reasons being the traumatic experience that was the most ugly conceivable head wear in the two Kotor games and the blank faced, low detail heads in NWN2,

Hey, man. Don't talk **** about Beard Guy.

jcod0.png

The more like Baldur's Gate 1 the better.

I do like the Icewind Dale portraits, but I think the BG1 portraits, paperdolls and avatars (UI, area art) are my favourite art styles of all the IE games.

Edited by Sensuki

Thanks for the links Wombat. I would be interested in seeing how that works. I would also hope that they implement a way for modders to change PC portraits to do so. I don't want just my NPCs to change faces when emoting. I'm sure there will be mods for that sort of thing, if they allow it.

Very cool, thanks again.

My DXdiag:

<p>

With how heavily weighted we are towards 2D art, I'm surprised nobody's yet criticized PST's portraits. Much as I liked the game's aesthetic, the 3D art used in the bestiary and portraits was... unpleasant.

I've never played NWN2. Were the portraits in NWN2 like those in PST (3D and animated)?

If yes, then I'd definitely prefer 2D portraits like the ones in BG. They look better and if I don't find anything I like, I could easily switch to a custom portrait. I'm not really sure how custom portraits could work with 3D portraits.

2D portraits add so much atmosphere to a game and the customization is invaluable!

I also like the idea of different portrait variations for light, medium and heavy armored and injured chars. It would work just like the implementation of small, medium and large character portraits in the BG and IWD series, only that variation of size is obsolete anyway since scaling is simple to implement nowadays, fading of one variation to another without popping as well.

I believe such stuff counts to the 4 million goal but it would also be enough to implement the script and leave the rest to the community. :dancing:

• Like 2

nec temere, nec timide

<p>

I've never played NWN2. Were the portraits in NWN2 like those in PST (3D and animated)?

If yes, then I'd definitely prefer 2D portraits like the ones in BG. They look better and if I don't find anything I like, I could easily switch to a custom portrait. I'm not really sure how custom portraits could work with 3D portraits.

No, it was just a static screenshot of your character's ingame face with a rather bland and moronic expression on their face, and from an angle that really didn't do the character's looks any good.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I definitely prefer the BG style character portraits. Not that there is anything wrong with the NWN2 style, I just do not like it as much.

Also I'm not sure how they would add NWN2 style portraits to the game without making a character models with a lot more detail than would is really needed for an IE style game. which would be a fair amount of work just for the portraits

Finally consider that the 3000$ kickstarter pledge included:

BECOME A CUSTOM PORTRAIT IN THE GAME + GET A SIGNED ART PRINT OF YOUR PORTRAIT.

That really rules out NWN2 style generated portraits

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate or MoTB. Those portraits give the characters um... character, while the rendered chargen images are just bland faces with no expression.

Even modifying the portrait depending on the current outfit can be done with 2d images (and was done since Ultima 7 Serpent's Isle) but it will mean much more work for the artists.

Customisation is no argument for render portraits either, as long as there is a "portraits" folder, you can use anything as your character portrait, even a screenshot snippet from a game with render portraits.

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

there are some photo booths that have the option to turn your photo into a color sketch picture. they could implement something similar to make instant BG style portraits out of 3D models

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.