Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aumaua Race - Expectations and speculations

Aumaua Race

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Poll: Aumaua (190 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you expect Aumaua should be like ?

1. Barberian-Monster like (orc, half-orc, ogre, Half-ogre, Troll etc) (8 votes [4.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.21%

2. Reptile like (Lizard-man, Snake-man) (31 votes [16.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.32%

3. Aquatic-Humanoid (amphibian, fish, squid - like ) (37 votes [19.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.47%

4. Human-like but diffrent (Qunari, Giant-like) (55 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

5. More animalistic like (Centaur, Minotaur, Wolfmans) (37 votes [19.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.47%

6. Other Ideas (Tell what) (11 votes [5.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.79%

7. I dont care, Don't have opinion (11 votes [5.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.79%

What do you think about "Aumaua" name for this race ?

1. It's Perfect i whant that race be named that. (24 votes [12.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.63%

2. It's strange name but i like it. (81 votes [42.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.63%

3. I don't care about this name. (50 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

4. I don't like it but even if they don't rename it i will survive. (25 votes [13.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

5. I don't like it they should rename this race. (8 votes [4.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.21%

6. I HATE it the worst possible name :/. If they don't rename it i will now play this race. (2 votes [1.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

What features should this race have ? (Examples)

1. Strong men, warriors, barbaric attitude (44 votes [11.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.17%

2. Large thieving skills, smart. (17 votes [4.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

3. Large magic skills (35 votes [8.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.88%

4. some kind of moral code (samurai, knight, philosophical, etc.) (84 votes [21.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.32%

5. focused on the invasion and robberies like Vikings or pirates (28 votes [7.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.11%

6. calm, peaceful coexistence oriented (50 votes [12.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.69%

7. Skilful diplomats, traders (40 votes [10.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.15%

8. cynical, irreligious (49 votes [12.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.44%

9. Religious, fanatical (26 votes [6.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.60%

10. Otheer ideas (Say what) (21 votes [5.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dang your right, my bad, I'm sorry.

I wouldn't mind a Necromanticon feel to the Aumaua, like thier desended from an ancient race that worshipped mad elder gods and whose civilization sank beneath the waves with the survivors fleeing to nearby coasts and islands.
  • nikolokolus, HangedMan and .Leif. like this

Slumpy

Slumpy

Vacillator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Watcher
Surfer orcs, mellow stoners with physical and spiritual power.

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts
I find an iteresting image from movie prometheus ...

Do you think that aumaua whoud look like this ? (It fitts discription)

Posted Image

Edited by ArchBeast, 19 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

HangedMan

HangedMan

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Cynical Lizardmen who raid and loot, but do so while maintaining a strict code of conduct. It seems counter-intuitive, but it could be done.

Godwin

Godwin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think it's in safe hands and Obsidian will make the right call here. What I wouldn't like to see, which I have seen in some of the users posts, is a race portraid as being totally peacful and noble. There should always be grey areas. For example nomads for some may be simplistic and in tune with nature so seen as a good people, but for other be seen as raiders and thieves.

Sugarjaye

Sugarjaye

Petite Death of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Location:Valley of the Norther Rivers in the Land of Down Under
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Big Fish people are a great idea, when they die you can eat them for +2 temporary intelligence. Unless, of course, you dunk them in batter and deep fry them.

Edible NPCs have never been tried before. Might head over to the Romance thread...

Lol, this made me think of Noonsa from Slayers
Posted Image

SunBroSolaire

SunBroSolaire

Custodian of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Since they inhabit coastal regions (I think?), I would assume they're traders/merchants. I'm thinking their size means they might tend to be less survivalist-focused, more prone to peaceful coexistence.
  • Monte Carlo likes this

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hmmm why for some reason do I want them to have venomous fangs, as a vestigial legacy of their aquatic heritage?

Edit: And, if they travel too far inland, have the need for brine-filled armour or tanks, to keep their fishy-skin moist? :: Yuck ::

Edited by Monte Carlo, 19 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

• nikolokolus likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5073 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
A large, bulbous nose. Got to have that. Greasy eyes protruding from the skull like a goldfish. A cluster of quivering tentacles dangling pendulously from an extraordinarily long, pointed chin. Loose flaccid flesh hanging from the skeletal frame, with multiple clusters of pale, pulsating buboes that explode into a white burst of pus at the slightest touch. Oh and webbed feet too. They inhabit braccish coastal swamps and trade in artfully decorated driftwood sculptings.
  • Monte Carlo likes this

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Since they inhabit coastal regions (I think?), I would assume they're traders/merchants. I'm thinking their size means they might tend to be less survivalist-focused, more prone to peaceful coexistence.

It all depends, there are many nations that livied near the sea and was wery agressive, Vikings lived in "Coastal" regions and invaded land from slavic world, german, england, france and they where even seen near italy and byzantium. Japanesse where atacking several times they naighbor china and korea. Englad where atacking france several times and they colonised north america (this colony become US later)

Spain and portugal also lived surauded my seas and they fight a wars several times, they also distroyed many south american civilizations. Italy (Former Roman Empire) atact and was invaiding many european nations, many asia minor nations and even north africa.

So i don't think that coastal nations are "prone to peaceful coexistence" only Genoa was fitting to this discription .... but only becose they don't have large armies ....

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ Yes, like that a lot. And despite this they are utterly charming and possess excellent social and empathetic skills. And are bloody strong with a poisonous bite.

I thought fishmen were a joke, but actually I am loving the vibe of a race of charming, strong, strangely vulnerable piscene humanoids.

Edit: Sorry @ rjshae

Of course I see ArchBeast's point but Vikings are stereotyped and were in fact as much benign trader as they were invading savage. Much the same as us Brits, in fact.

Edited by Monte Carlo, 19 October 2012 - 03:27 PM.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Anybody remember the Orz from Star Control 2? Yeah, something like that.
  • Monte Carlo likes this

ArchBeast

ArchBeast

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Of course I see ArchBeast's point but Vikings are stereotyped and were in fact as much benign trader as they were invading savage. Much the same as us Brits, in fact.

Ofcoure they where, they where traders and some times invaders. There are no notcomplicated races/nations every nations has at least 2 faces but we can tell that they where not only traders but also they where invading ... and you can't disagree that they was not becouse it's historical fact.

Aumaua can be the same, somtimes trading somtimes invaiding ... 2 faces of the same race ,,,

Jasede

Jasede

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 323 posts
I hope they're cute furries. It's my turn to be catered to.
Oh dear, the romance-entitlement must be rubbing off on me.

Edit: Oh yes, and they only have males.

Edited by Jasede, 19 October 2012 - 03:44 PM.

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hope they're cute furries. It's my turn to be catered to.
Oh dear, the romance-entitlement must be rubbing off on me.

Edit: Oh yes, and they only have males.

Romancable?

Gyor

Gyor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
All this culture stuff, like raiding vs. peace is tied to the culture mechanic. Aumaua from the Dyrwood would niether for example. You could have some predominately Aumaua nations that are island sheep farmers, other pirates, others religious, others that build floating cities, and others that are former Vialian slaves that founded thier own city after escaping. Others could build cities from ice on Glaciers that are warded against divine interence. Some Aumaua cultures might hate each other and many Aumaua will have culturally assulated into the cultures of other races.
  • Hormalakh likes this

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts

Maybe they are in fact big fish people. :w00t:

Maybe...

Posted Image

Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Obsidian is probably going to make them a lot better than I can but my speculation is that they would be like benevolent Deep Ones, an amphibious race of fish/frog people. Piggybacking off some other posters ideas, they are descended from a mighty aquatic empire that was destroyed many years ago. They could be the oldest race in the region, having been there long before the explorers came, and they worship the gods of the sea and the powerful beasts that dwell beneath its depths. They are a peaceful race, though powerful and mysterious enough where none would want to attack them. Due to their ancestors' downfall they always kept to themselves and don't interfere into the affairs of other nations, worried that the same fate could be fall upon if they grow too ambitious. They have a strong oral tradition which makes their chanters the strongest among the races in the regions and they have their own ancient tongue that tends to frighten and bewilder the other nations due its alien nature.

Edited by Zap Rowsdower, 19 October 2012 - 04:49 PM.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Name sounds like one of those cutesy Japanese or Korean MMO "all underaged girls with animal ears" type races.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Posted Image
  • Jasede likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Aumaua, Race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users