Aumaua Race - Expectations and speculations

Aumaua  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Aumaua should be like ?

• Barberian-Monster like (orc, half-orc, ogre, Half-ogre, Troll etc)
    • Reptile like (Lizard-man, Snake-man)
    • Aquatic-Humanoid (amphibian, fish, squid - like )
    • Human-like but diffrent (Qunari, Giant-like)
    • More animalistic like (Centaur, Minotaur, Wolfmans)
    • Other Ideas (Tell what)
    • I dont care, Don't have opinion
  2. 2. What do you think about "Aumaua" name for this race ?

• It's Perfect i whant that race be named that.
    • It's strange name but i like it.
    • I don't care about this name.
    • I don't like it but even if they don't rename it i will survive.
    • I don't like it they should rename this race.
    • I HATE it the worst possible name :/. If they don't rename it i will now play this race.
  3. 3. What features should this race have ? (Examples)

• Strong men, warriors, barbaric attitude
    • Large thieving skills, smart.
    • Large magic skills
    • some kind of moral code (samurai, knight, philosophical, etc.)
    • focused on the invasion and robberies like Vikings or pirates
    • calm, peaceful coexistence oriented
    • Skilful diplomats, traders
    • cynical, irreligious
    • Religious, fanatical
    • Otheer ideas (Say what)

An aquatic race would seem to be handicapped as a surface creature.

They could be found on coastal areas. Kind of like sahuagin from D&D.

Sahaugin die within a day if they can't immerse themselves in water. You could change it to lizardfolk, but their primary advantage is a thick hide: you don't need an aquatic race for that. :)

... and coastal areas don't have any water nearby? I don't see your point.

The party travels a day's march from the sea on a quest. Your aquatic companion dies.

The point is that an aquatic physiology is at the minimum not a benefit, and possibly even an encumbrance, for a non-aquatic campaign. If there are balancing factors then that would be fine. But an aquatic nature in and of itself usually isn't useful unless there is swimming involved.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I just hope that they don't have a stereotypical monoculture.

Yes. This! Remember that we're talking about a "race" here, not a culture. Races should be physiologically different from humans, elves, dwarves. Each race will have different cultures. So humans have multiple cultures. Elves multiple cultures. Dwarves multiple cultures. So aumaua should have a varied number of cultures. They shouldn't all be coastal fishermen. There should be some living in cities (even one or two).

Physiologically describing these races might be better than trying to describe their culture.

• Do they have fins? Wings? Arms?
  • Are they primarily land-dwelling, sea-dwelling, amphibians?
  • How does their musculature work?
  • Body type similar to a human? Humanoid? I would expect this to be the case just so they can wear armor and wield weapons, but imagine if this race didn't use armor or weapons. What if their bodies could change to becoming more armored, and their claws could be magically infused as they level up? Just a thought.
  • I've always hated how every viable race is a bipedal-humanoid. It doesn't make sense for reptiles (from a physiological perspective) to evolve into a biped race even if they do become intelligent. I don't see enough quadruped races out there. Biped or quadruped?
  • How do they make sound? Through vocal cords similar to humans? Do they only roar or utilize acting to make themselves be known? Languages would fall under a cultural setting, so there should be several languages.
  • Are they as a species able to breed with humans/elves/dwarves? Are their children fertile or infertile (a la real-life mules, a hybrid of a horse and a donkey)?
  • Grip strength? Do they have hands, talons, claws? Are they as dextrous as human hands?
  • Feet, hooves, talons?
  • Kangaroo-type reproductive organs (which would be cool) or mammalian organs (mammary glands, etc)? What about laying eggs or giving live birth? We have mammals that do both (see Australia).
  • Skin tones/colors/texture? Scales?
  • Cold-blooded or warm-blooded? Internal heat generation or heat gained from external sources? (Might make a difference for fire/cold resistances.)
  • Any other unusual physiological attributes not shared with humans/dwarves/elves?

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

An aquatic race would seem to be handicapped as a surface creature.

They could be found on coastal areas. Kind of like sahuagin from D&D.

Sahaugin die within a day if they can't immerse themselves in water. You could change it to lizardfolk, but their primary advantage is a thick hide: you don't need an aquatic race for that. :)

... and coastal areas don't have any water nearby? I don't see your point.

The party travels a day's march from the sea on a quest. Your aquatic companion dies.

The point is that an aquatic physiology is at the minimum not a benefit, and possibly even an encumbrance, for a non-aquatic campaign. If there are balancing factors then that would be fine. But an aquatic nature in and of itself usually isn't useful unless there is swimming involved.

Bring along a fishbowl. Or a lot of water canisters.

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I'm looking forward to Obsidian's information on this race. But I don't have any strong particulars for what I want other than for them to be interesting to play.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't particularly care to give an entire species one trait that isn't physical. If we have the full spectrum of human existence in mankind, I expect to see it in Aumaua-kind too.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would like to see an animalistic/giant like race, physically similar to a bear in stature and silhouette. A large and physically powerful race with limited natural predators and a particular preference for seafood, Aumaua tend to prefer living in peaceful fishing settlements along the coasts and rivers. While nonaggressive, and outwardly calm and peaceful, they are also a very stubborn and willful race who when pressed will aggressively defend their homes. They predominantly a simple people who focus on family and community, with limited ambition. They are known for their common sense. Basically an animistic take on gentle giants.

Edited by Regenshire

I would like to see, a squid /humanoid, race but maybe not the ilithid like, this was done to death and Ilthid themselves are just small wingless cthulu, maybe give them beak like face, with tentacle hair, and long squid hands? about trait, I don't want a whole race to have one trait, I am okay with main culture that shows something they value but is not universal, also I don't like warrior culture, and evil race of pure evil, what I would love to see is philosophy that is alien but understandable after giving it a look, and that is just expy of asian philosophy, quinari in Dragon age, at least in first one I don't know about second pull it quite well, and name it is just a name, I would also like to have lizardmen race, something similar to warrans in Arcanum , but here i am a little scepticall

All that said it dousn't matter to me that much , I just hope it will not just be something that is human with animal head and a gimick , this main problem with all beast races in all game .

To make it short, if this will be beast race, give them human face, with animal elements, maybe something like silurians in nuWho , do not make them klingons aka race that is basicly one thing and theri whole life goes around this one thing. Take diffrent cultures and mix them, you have a aquatic race that lives near coast mix three sea farring races, and from every one of culture take one thing, if it will be properly mixed it will be much more interesting than just proud warrior race .Also please no sparkly race, aka not half elementals, no half fey, godlike are okay but one race like that is enough I never liked genasi, in D&D because i feel they should have much more interesting way of thinking than just humans but with fance burning hair.

But the most important thing do the thing that you as game developers and story creators feel will work the best, nobody truly understand story like it creator,

Edited by Cryticus