Aumaua Race - Expectations and speculations

Aumaua  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Aumaua should be like ?

• Barberian-Monster like (orc, half-orc, ogre, Half-ogre, Troll etc)
    • Reptile like (Lizard-man, Snake-man)
    • Aquatic-Humanoid (amphibian, fish, squid - like )
    • Human-like but diffrent (Qunari, Giant-like)
    • More animalistic like (Centaur, Minotaur, Wolfmans)
    • Other Ideas (Tell what)
    • I dont care, Don't have opinion
  2. 2. What do you think about "Aumaua" name for this race ?

• It's Perfect i whant that race be named that.
    • It's strange name but i like it.
    • I don't care about this name.
    • I don't like it but even if they don't rename it i will survive.
    • I don't like it they should rename this race.
    • I HATE it the worst possible name :/. If they don't rename it i will now play this race.
  3. 3. What features should this race have ? (Examples)

• Strong men, warriors, barbaric attitude
    • Large thieving skills, smart.
    • Large magic skills
    • some kind of moral code (samurai, knight, philosophical, etc.)
    • focused on the invasion and robberies like Vikings or pirates
    • calm, peaceful coexistence oriented
    • Skilful diplomats, traders
    • cynical, irreligious
    • Religious, fanatical
    • Otheer ideas (Say what)

Big Fish people are a great idea, when they die you can eat them for +2 temporary intelligence. Unless, of course, you dunk them in batter and deep fry them.

Edible NPCs have never been tried before. Might head over to the Romance thread...

Lol, this made me think of Noonsa from Slayers

noonsa_12068.jpg

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

Hmmm why for some reason do I want them to have venomous fangs, as a vestigial legacy of their aquatic heritage?

Edit: And, if they travel too far inland, have the need for brine-filled armour or tanks, to keep their fishy-skin moist? :: Yuck ::

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

A large, bulbous nose. Got to have that. Greasy eyes protruding from the skull like a goldfish. A cluster of quivering tentacles dangling pendulously from an extraordinarily long, pointed chin. Loose flaccid flesh hanging from the skeletal frame, with multiple clusters of pale, pulsating buboes that explode into a white burst of pus at the slightest touch. Oh and webbed feet too. They inhabit braccish coastal swamps and trade in artfully decorated driftwood sculptings.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Since they inhabit coastal regions (I think?), I would assume they're traders/merchants. I'm thinking their size means they might tend to be less survivalist-focused, more prone to peaceful coexistence.

It all depends, there are many nations that livied near the sea and was wery agressive, Vikings lived in "Coastal" regions and invaded land from slavic world, german, england, france and they where even seen near italy and byzantium. Japanesse where atacking several times they naighbor china and korea. Englad where atacking france several times and they colonised north america (this colony become US later)

Spain and portugal also lived surauded my seas and they fight a wars several times, they also distroyed many south american civilizations. Italy (Former Roman Empire) atact and was invaiding many european nations, many asia minor nations and even north africa.

So i don't think that coastal nations are "prone to peaceful coexistence" only Genoa was fitting to this discription .... but only becose they don't have large armies ....

^ Yes, like that a lot. And despite this they are utterly charming and possess excellent social and empathetic skills. And are bloody strong with a poisonous bite.

I thought fishmen were a joke, but actually I am loving the vibe of a race of charming, strong, strangely vulnerable piscene humanoids.

Edit: Sorry @ rjshae

Of course I see ArchBeast's point but Vikings are stereotyped and were in fact as much benign trader as they were invading savage. Much the same as us Brits, in fact.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Of course I see ArchBeast's point but Vikings are stereotyped and were in fact as much benign trader as they were invading savage. Much the same as us Brits, in fact.

Ofcoure they where, they where traders and some times invaders. There are no notcomplicated races/nations every nations has at least 2 faces but we can tell that they where not only traders but also they where invading ... and you can't disagree that they was not becouse it's historical fact.

Aumaua can be the same, somtimes trading somtimes invaiding ... 2 faces of the same race ,,,

I hope they're cute furries. It's my turn to be catered to.

Oh dear, the romance-entitlement must be rubbing off on me.

Edit: Oh yes, and they only have males.

Romancable?

Say no to popamole!

All this culture stuff, like raiding vs. peace is tied to the culture mechanic. Aumaua from the Dyrwood would niether for example. You could have some predominately Aumaua nations that are island sheep farmers, other pirates, others religious, others that build floating cities, and others that are former Vialian slaves that founded thier own city after escaping. Others could build cities from ice on Glaciers that are warded against divine interence. Some Aumaua cultures might hate each other and many Aumaua will have culturally assulated into the cultures of other races.

• Like 1

Obsidian is probably going to make them a lot better than I can but my speculation is that they would be like benevolent Deep Ones, an amphibious race of fish/frog people. Piggybacking off some other posters ideas, they are descended from a mighty aquatic empire that was destroyed many years ago. They could be the oldest race in the region, having been there long before the explorers came, and they worship the gods of the sea and the powerful beasts that dwell beneath its depths. They are a peaceful race, though powerful and mysterious enough where none would want to attack them. Due to their ancestors' downfall they always kept to themselves and don't interfere into the affairs of other nations, worried that the same fate could be fall upon if they grow too ambitious. They have a strong oral tradition which makes their chanters the strongest among the races in the regions and they have their own ancient tongue that tends to frighten and bewilder the other nations due its alien nature.

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

Nobody likes my cetacean based concept. This saddens me. Especially as it would allow for a number of divergent subraces, from orcan to bottlenose.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

A Murloc type race would be great. Stupid Blizzard should have made them a Horde race instead of dirty elves.

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.

Based on my discussion with Adam Brennecke today, the Aumaua will at least functionally be analagous to Half-Orcs, a big strong race. I didn't get any further details on their physical appearance. It sounds like they are still very much being iterated on.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Based on my discussion with Adam Brennecke today, the Aumaua will at least functionally be analagous to Half-Orcs, a big strong race. I didn't get any further details on their physical appearance. It sounds like they are still very much being iterated on.

I like this idea, half-orcs was always ilustraded like ugly-brutish-idiots and they where weekwhen you compere them expecially to dwarves. Aumaua can be strong like half-orcs but they not need to be stupid and ugly, they can also have their own culture (not like half-orcs)....

Hopefully a race that considers humans and elves the same way as we consider ants. Any form of communication with them would be extremely dangerous since we would be met as pests in their eyes. Their language is also so complicated and nuanced that it would require a god-like intelligence just to understand the basics.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Something about the name "Aumaua" does makes me think of fish-people for some reason, not that I care for the name in the first place. Personally, I have a fondness for playable lizard-folk and would like to see that. But I think I'd be happy with any sort of "beast" race, considering that the option seems to be rather lacking from the other choices at the moment.

• Like 1