Aumaua Race - Expectations and speculations

Aumaua  

190 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Aumaua should be like ?

• Barberian-Monster like (orc, half-orc, ogre, Half-ogre, Troll etc)
    • Reptile like (Lizard-man, Snake-man)
    • Aquatic-Humanoid (amphibian, fish, squid - like )
    • Human-like but diffrent (Qunari, Giant-like)
    • More animalistic like (Centaur, Minotaur, Wolfmans)
    • Other Ideas (Tell what)
    • I dont care, Don't have opinion
  2. 2. What do you think about "Aumaua" name for this race ?

• It's Perfect i whant that race be named that.
    • It's strange name but i like it.
    • I don't care about this name.
    • I don't like it but even if they don't rename it i will survive.
    • I don't like it they should rename this race.
    • I HATE it the worst possible name :/. If they don't rename it i will now play this race.
  3. 3. What features should this race have ? (Examples)

• Strong men, warriors, barbaric attitude
    • Large thieving skills, smart.
    • Large magic skills
    • some kind of moral code (samurai, knight, philosophical, etc.)
    • focused on the invasion and robberies like Vikings or pirates
    • calm, peaceful coexistence oriented
    • Skilful diplomats, traders
    • cynical, irreligious
    • Religious, fanatical
    • Otheer ideas (Say what)

I'll be frank, I want something like the illithid. Dwellers of the deep, dark parts of the world with great magical abilities. But I think something to set apart would be that they're not so much dark manipulators and brain-noodlers, but more just a few holdovers of a forgotten time, looking upon the future generations with both fond recollections of their time in dominance and fear for the young race's seeming strive for self-destruction. More or less illithids meet Kosh of Babylon 5.

Clearly, though, this would be a stupid advantage for PCs. So maybe this race is simply people who were contacted frequently by this other race, and thus have certain magical advantages. The metaphor for this would be the genestealer/human hybrids of Warhammer 40k - for all intents and purposes, human, but with just a bit of bred-in influence from another, greater race.

Edited by UncleBourbon
  • Like 2

I don't like the name at all.

Not that it's really very important.

I'd like a large physically strong race that isn't dumb. Maybe almost spiritual and whimsical, as a counterpoint to their strength. A giant ogrish character with a big axe who takes time to play practical jokes, write poems and stops to enjoy the sunset. With his tongue in his cheek. The race might be famous for trickery, which manifests itself in an ambush-then-tanking combat style.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Probably big fish people? Right? Right?

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

Big Fish people are a great idea, when they die you can eat them for +2 temporary intelligence. Unless, of course, you dunk them in batter and deep fry them.

Edible NPCs have never been tried before. Might head over to the Romance thread...

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've got a feeling they'll be gentle giant types, strong but not overly aggressive. I imagine when it's been said they're a coastal race that means fishermen rather than pirates, as we know the seas are dangerous so I can't see piracy being too prevalent. I guess only time will tell.

• Like 1

If I had to ballpark guess? Intelligent, philosophical, proud and adept in Magical Arts. My ballpark guesses are always wrong, however.

I'm quite a fan of rather more animalistic races myself, Centaurs, Minotaurs and Tauren are some of my more favourite races in fantasy, but I also like the concept of a more savage, primitive, humanoid appearance, yet still maintaining a certain beauty. A kind of dangerously lithe, graceful and beautiful primitive "hunter" appearance instead of a more brutish, thuggish "orcish" appearance.

In regards to the name - It's bizarre, but I really quite like it. I get the feeling that the more I get used to it, the more it will roll effortlessly off my tongue.

Dangerously lithe and deceptively primitive in appearance, yet highly intelligent, proud, philosophical and adept in magical arts? Why not.

Just thought I'd point out Squids aren't amphibians, there Cephalopods of the same subclass as Octopus and Cuttlefish (which aren't really fish).

I think a Cephalopod race would be awesome, some subraces would be more Octopus like, others Squid like, and yet others would be like Cuttlefish.

Lots of different ways to design it too, maybe like a Mindflayer, Maybe like The Evil Queen Octopus chick from little mermaid, maybe more subtly with a few attributes like suckers on the arms, simular skin, and the ability to squirt ink.

As for the last question I check all if them because culture is seperate from Race in the game and so all of them apply.

From the name alone, I get a bit of an Islander vibe, like native Hawaiian or Maori. As for what they will actually be like, I'm pretty open. It would be kind of fun to have a race with marine mammal traits. Perhaps seal/walrus/narwhal aspects. Who knows?

EDIT: I'm not talking furry-esque, but hints of a different lineage.

Edited by Bloody Hypocrite

Are you still mad about the name Aumaua ArchBeast? I know i shouldnt judge just from the nick but you sound like you like everything to sound "uber".

Yeah i like everything sound "Uber" (Uber Diablo, Uber Mefisto, Uber baal :p ) but i will survive and even mayby even play this race if its some kind of "Qunari-Giant-like" or "ogre-orc" like. I personaly thing that Animal like (Centaurs,Taurens) are also good idea but this coud strongly affect interactions with other races and if romances will be in game a tauren-human romance is a little to much for me (its zoophillia in some sence) and orc or giant with human aslo be strange but not as much....

I will play this race still if its the races i writhed above but if its reptilian, aquatic or bird-people ... i will just pretend this race don't exist ...

Just thought I'd point out Squids aren't amphibians, there Cephalopods of the same subclass as Octopus and Cuttlefish (which aren't really fish).

I think a Cephalopod race would be awesome, some subraces would be more Octopus like, others Squid like, and yet others would be like Cuttlefish.

I wrote "AQUATIC" not "amphibians". Amphibians are water creatures exacly like Cephalopods and fish (they came from water or at least lives in it). That's why i put "Water-like races"(Aquatic in poll)

On the aumaua race:

the other race we haven’t talked about yet are called the aumaua. they are larger than humans and are found in a lot of coastal and island areas. like orlans, they look somewhat… different, but they are still a bipedal race. we’re still working on their concepts (as we are with orlans), but we will show them when we feel they’re in a good place. (Link)

I found this information via Marceror's Comprehensive Project Eternity Information Guide. Maybe they are in fact big fish people. :w00t:

• Like 1

Dang your right, my bad, I'm sorry.

I wouldn't mind a Necromanticon feel to the Aumaua, like thier desended from an ancient race that worshipped mad elder gods and whose civilization sank beneath the waves with the survivors fleeing to nearby coasts and islands.

• Like 3

I think it's in safe hands and Obsidian will make the right call here. What I wouldn't like to see, which I have seen in some of the users posts, is a race portraid as being totally peacful and noble. There should always be grey areas. For example nomads for some may be simplistic and in tune with nature so seen as a good people, but for other be seen as raiders and thieves.