Anti-Dragon Age 2?

Moderators said that this thread will be more appropriate in this section so I'll recreate it.

From what we've heared, Project Eternity looks like an opposite from Dragon Age 2, and, from developers' statements, DA3 as well.

- Full dialogues, instead of herp derp paraphrases.

- Tactical combat, instead of AWESUM BUTTUN mashing.

- Choices that matter, instead of linear gameplay.

- Customizable PC, instead of pre-defined one.

- Party-based RPG, instead of interactive movie.

- Silent protagonist, instead of voiced one.

- Complex dialogues, instead of "Yes" and "No" with two "levels" at best.

And so on, and so on. I wonder, was it intended to grab that two million fans that deserted BioWare when they found what DA2 turned out to be or Obsidian just wanted to make a "true" wRPG?

MzpydUh.gif

> I just know I am going to regret asking this, but would you like to share these elements with the rest of the class?

Ah... sure, Mr. Negativity. Here's a few that I recall off the top of my head: I liked the split of defense and armor ratings and the stamina/health split; it's much more plausible than the D&D AC and hit point system. The injury system that applies specific effects is also a nice detail. Separate tabs for the different inventory types are good, and the star ratings made inventory management a lot easier. The paper doll representation of the characters was visually attractive, although I prefer a more detailed armor system (like in Drakensang).

The part I disliked the most was the lack of a D&D-style skill system.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

At the time, I really looked forward to Dragon Age....with all the hype about it being the spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series of games, it sounded like the game I had been waiting for for years. I also intended to work on modding for the game - got into the toolset beta, but evebtually I became disappointed and left - it just wasn't what I was looking for.

Wjhen DA2 arrived, I didn't even bother to buy the game - from what I heard, it seemed even further away from what I wanted.

So, will PE be the true spiritual successor to BG? I hope so. I really, really hope so.

> I just know I am going to regret asking this, but would you like to share these elements with the rest of the class?

Ah... sure, Mr. Negativity. Here's a few that I recall off the top of my head: I liked the split of defense and armor ratings and the stamina/health split; it's much more plausible than the D&D AC and hit point system. The injury system that applies specific effects is also a nice detail. Separate tabs for the different inventory types are good, and the star ratings made inventory management a lot easier. The paper doll representation of the characters was visually attractive, although I prefer a more detailed armor system (like in Drakensang).

The part I disliked the most was the lack of a D&D-style skill system.

The inventory of DA2 was ****. Like irredeemably ****. Console style list inventories should take a hint from dinosaurs and die out. Filters are nice, but that has been already done in Morrowind at least. The stars were an absolute travesty, because the accompanying design made it so that one item was always objectively same, better or worse than the other. AAARGH. Paper doll representation where you can't even change your companions' armour is quite useless.

EDIT: Mr. Negativity was my nickname in school, how did you know?

Edited by evdk

Say no to popamole!

There seems to have been a misunderstanding.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."