In favor of Repeatable Quests?

Repeatable Quests  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of repeatable quests?

• Yes
    • No

Some quests being repeatable makes sense. People have already talked about caravan duty in Fallout if you had time to kill. Or you could talk about the brawling/racing type stuff from KOTOR 1-2 where you dueled people in various cities or raced them - or like the Witcher 1 did it. Something like Pazaak or the dice game from the witcher would be really cool to have too. Those things I'm totally ok with and they can make fun little side quests for people who are into that sort of thing - and if they're a terrible bore, well, you don't have to do them.

I would say no to grindable fed ex quests though - this isn't going to be an MMO or a Bethesda game with unholy ****tons of poorly fleshed out content that simply encourage the player to grind whenever they can to pad out the game play time.

I don't want repeatable quests in the game. If you do the same thing over and over again it just becomes meaningless filler, especially when you've attempted the quest before and now know exactly how to approach it again for an easy victory.

just out of curiosity, what if they were variable in how they played out?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In general, I'm not for the idea of repeatable quests (it fits better with multiplayer games) but I do like some option to get extra XP if I hit a point in the game where I desperately need to gain a a/some level/s because I've hit a difficult spot. If (as I understand) there'll be no XP for killing enemies, maybe there needs to be some form of repeatable content to get XP from.

As for what type of ranom quests in such a case:

Randomized fed-ex quests as suggested before could work. Or you could grab an idea from City Of Heroes and have unused doors in the cities that can be linked to random indoor "instances"* where you can get quest xp.

(*Since it's a singleplayer game, the whole game will really be one instance, but most people know what I mean.)

and subject to the law of diminishing returns.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't want repeatable quests in the game. If you do the same thing over and over again it just becomes meaningless filler, especially when you've attempted the quest before and now know exactly how to approach it again for an easy victory.

just out of curiosity, what if they were variable in how they played out?

That would make it worse, in my book, because then I might feel like I need to do the boring repeatable content to avoid being underleveled. I'd rather the game encourage me to go new places, talk to new people, and learn new things. Even without monster XP, it could still do that with exploration or conversation XP, and I find that to be substantially more interesting.

• Like 1

To me it really depends on what types of quests it is.

The gather X and return them to the questgiver then wait Y time and the quest becomes available again feels a bit too much like mmo's to me.

however if they are more like "a vendor will pay well for any pelts you bring him" and the quest is basically bringing these pelts and selling them for say 150% of their actual worth then it is okay to me as it can be explained ingame. naturally if you want to call it a quest or not is another story

• Like 1

Generally those kinds of quests are at best useless filler and at worst forced grinding, so I won't be missing them. That being said, I can sort of see a place for them to flesh out the world if they are used right. I probably wouldn't bother to do any random FedEx- or gathering-quests, but there will be big cities in the game and big cities will need messengers and such continuously, so it would fit the gameworld quite well for at least some of those kinds of jobs to be open to the characters. Still, I'd rather see the time and energy spent on something more interesting.

And yes, I know my profile picture is blasphemy on this forum, but I didn't have the audacity to use The Nameless One.

Exactly. If respawning mobs provide anything valuable and are not too tough to defeat, they can be farmed forever, whether it's for XP or loot. And someone is guaranteed to do it.

Well, more power to the person who farms enemies who carry about 3-5 gold per kill above doing the quest giving 2000gp I guess...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I actually like the suggestion earlier for competition quests (like the arena)

Maybe.... and perhaps it's too radical a suggestion, but maybe you could have some sort of online leaderboards, where you would get matched up with NPC's that have the build of someone ranked slightly above you. this would keep it always challenging, as you'd be playing against an AI proxy of a build that worked well enough to score slightly better than your own.

This doesn't have to be just combat, (as long as it is not Pazaak)

and I imagine that people who cheat and edit their playerstats would be matched up against others who did the same.

---

I wouldn't mind a random quest generator system similar to the Assasination quests in Assasin's Creed. Just something to do in end game. I don't want main quests to be repeatable though, and I dislike repeatable task quests since they stay in my quest log. I reallly want random quests though (put in a separate part of the quest log or given a different minimap icon would also be good if they are possible before major story quests or side quests are completed)

Edited by limith

I really, really don't see how repeatable quests would improve my game experience.

Having said that, there are some sorts of "semi-repeatable" quests that are fine...."In order to prove your worth, you must defeat the three bandit groups of the area"....so I have three similar tasks, but with slight strategic and tactical differences. That's fine.