More Cheese Please

BruceVC

Hi All

I am an unashamed Turophile

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/turophile

I loooooooooove Cheese, when I travel overseas I ensure I buy Cheese that I can't get in South Africa.

I am leaving for a week to Las Vegas for a technical symposium and I intend to buy some American cheeses. I have found a sweet cheese shop in Las Vegas. For those that know and like there cheeses please check the link below and see if there are any American cheeses that I need to try that I can't purchase at this shop

http://valleycheeseandwine.com/cheese.html

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

cheese ftw.

need to buy some more, now that i think about it.

I can always do with more cheese, always.

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've lived in or around Henderson my entire life, but I don't recall that cheese shop. I also love cheese, but I'm probably a little pedestrian for your tastes. I tend to go for the same cheeses all the time, and that's nothing more exotic than I can get from the grocery or costco. However, if I ever get back to Henderson again, which is unlikely, I will stop by the shop you mention and buy a few pounds of cheese. On the other hand, if you're going to peruse the cheese selection, you might want to sample a selection of local wine from across the border in California.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've lived in or around Henderson my entire life, but I don't recall that cheese shop. I also love cheese, but I'm probably a little pedestrian for your tastes. I tend to go for the same cheeses all the time, and that's nothing more exotic than I can get from the grocery or costco. However, if I ever get back to Henderson again, which is unlikely, I will stop by the shop you mention and buy a few pounds of cheese. On the other hand, if you're going to peruse the cheese selection, you might want to sample a selection of local wine from across the border in California.

I hear what you are saying, I don't think there is right or wrong way to eat cheese. Most people people prefer the normal cheeses. As you mentioned I like the more exotic cheeses. So Gorgonzola's, Roqueforts, Old Amersdamn and any mature Cheddar are typically my favorites

I love wine so I'll consider that. One thing I am excited about is being able to purchase the 4 year old Vermont Cheddar. I have only eaten 2 year Cheddar so the oldest Cheddar I can buy will be yummy :)

John Milton 

This part of the world is devoid of any decent Gruyere. A decade of searching and no luck ;(

Cheeseless heathens.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sheep's cheese is where it's at.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend Portuguese cheeses. Serra cheese, Ilha cheese cured for 9 months, Serpa cheese, Nisa Cheese. The one thing missing in Portugal are blue cheeses.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This part of the world is devoid of any decent Gruyere. A decade of searching and no luck ;(

Cheeseless heathens.

But Oz has got some very decent cheeses

Many South Africans immigrated there in the 1990's( including my cousins) and you guys have a strong dairy industry and delicious cheeses available .

Does New Zealand have better dairy than Oz? We see loads of NZ products in SA

John Milton 

Sheep's cheese is where it's at.

I'm going to go ahead and recommend Portuguese cheeses. Serra cheese, Ilha cheese cured for 9 months, Serpa cheese, Nisa Cheese. The one thing missing in Portugal are blue cheeses.

I tend to agree, goats and sheep cheeses are yummy. I enjoy Pecorino, I find all sheep\goat cheeses have a more pronounced taste.

I don't think I have ever eaten unique PoPortuguese heeses, we have a strong Portuguese culinary ininfluence n SA but not around cheeses. So we eat loads of Espatada, Sardines, Prego Rolls and food like Livers and Giblets

John Milton 

I'd help if I could, but the only thing I know about cheese is that sharp cheddar is never 'sharp' enough for my husband. ;)

He loves sharp cheddar and occasional other cheeses, but our buying practices tend towards the mundane...what's in the supermarket or local deli mostly.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Cheeseless heathens.

But Oz has got some very decent cheeses

Many South Africans immigrated there in the 1990's( including my cousins) and you guys have a strong dairy industry and delicious cheeses available .

Does New Zealand have better dairy than Oz? We see loads of NZ products in SA

The Kiwis have a substantial dairy production, but a lot of it ends up as export. I believe (as in pulling out of thin air) that quite a bit of it ends up in powder form instead of cheese, yoghurt, milk etc. Yes, I lived there for a few years :)

They still get a lot of sheep jokes though, even though more than 50% of their livestock these days is bovine in nature.

As for South Africans, according to my SA friends most of them live in Perth (West Australia, I've never been there) for some reason. Maybe it's closer to home :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm interested in most soft cheeses but I tried a blue cheese recently which was really creamy, it was a dinner in Melbourne where every course had cheese in it and they had wine to match, it was a great night.

It was hosted by Will Studd and he has his own tv show about cheeses, have a look at the site below.

http://cheeseslices.com/

Well... I said I tend to buy the same cheeses over and over again, such as muenster, cheddar (sharper the better for the wife), swiss, Mozzarella, colby jack, pepper jack. We regularly use feta and Parmesan and Romano for salads or pasta and the like. However, I actually use a variety of cheeses for cooking or special events. The big decider on the types of cheese I buy revolves around what the wife likes or not. For instance, I love brie but the wife hates it so I don't bother getting any. She's not too fond of muenster, but she doesn't bitch at me about it quite as much. I love blue cheese, and she does also, but we don't tend to get it as much for some reason. Geez, Bruce, ya bastard, now I feel like visiting a cheese shop myself!

EDIT: Ah, forgot Asiago and Gruyere. I like cheeses that work well in cooking. For example, I make my own Mexican pizza with homemade refried beans, jalepenos, shredded or ground beef, and a variety of queso.

Edited by Cantousent

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Mozarella :wub:

At least it's still possible to get Camenbert down here. Not exactly the worlds best, but deep fried and served with blackcurrant jam on a slice of toast, who cares? :)

This summer I visited Tillamook, Oregon and toured their very large cheese factory. We also had some great french cheeses at the Blue Heron Cheese Company nearby.

004.JPG

Oregon REPRESENT! *cross arms*

I'm sure if I put some effort into it I could find a slough of "best cheddar in cheddardom" awards for Tillamook Cheddar cheese. But I won't. So I'll just say HEY WISCONSIN, BALL'S IN YOUR COURT! Man, but Tillamook smells like you're wearing a cow's ass for a surgical mask.

I'm actually more partial to Muenster anyway. That or Swiss is what you want for a good sandwich, doesn't overpower the flavor of the meat.

Edited by AGX-17

I got a really good dessert cheese a couple months back at coombs country market. (A must visit for foodies on vancouver islamd I think.) Don't know what the base was, but it was toffee swirled with nuts and raisins, had that tart and tangy cheese flavor mixed with the sweet and nutty toffee, without being too sweet. Was delicious

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I really just seem to love everything about Oregon. All the microbrews, the food, the cool weather, the scenery. Every time we pass through Bend, OR I spend a couple weeks trying to convince my wife we should move there.

If you are ever in the area again, I recommend Sunshine Mill Winery in The Dalles, OR. My girlfriend and I went there yesterday and ate some amazing cheeses and wine in a cool atmosphere. Who knew blueberry cheese was so incredible?

My goodness. Blank, you glorious bastard, where the hell have you been, you putz! All we needed to do to get you to pop out of the woodwork is mention cheese? Cheese CHEESE CHEESE!

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays

Cant, ol' buddy ol' pal. It has been too long. I never forget you all. This forum community still holds a special place in my heart. And yes, leave it to cheese to bring me back from the void of nothingness.

While we're at it, I must mention my favorite cheese of all time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubliner_Cheese