What do you plan to use as your starting character?

Monk sworn to vows of poverty, silence and non violence. Don't know about race/species, anything not elf really.

Oh come on, I've already played that card more than once in the monk thread. Not that it's an invalid position, as it is one I share, but we exhausted that argument in the aforementioned.... Monk Thread.

Sorry AGX-17, but i've got no idea what you're talking about. Oh never mind, just saw my post on page 9 of the monk thread where I outlined this concept and must seemingly have become a little inspired by it, I assume that's what you're referring to.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I almost always start by playing a female human spellcaster of some sort. I'll probably try wizard first, since that seems to be a core class and might be a fun introduction to the magic system, though I'd be interested in trying cipher, chanter and possibly druid (that one would depend on the class's lore) in later playthroughs.

Human. For class, depends on how much lore we know by the time the game's out. I want to already have a pretty good understanding of the world before playing something like a priest or paladin, and I want to have played through it at least once before something like a cipher. Maybe a rogue or a chanter.

Too little information to decide right now.

All I know is that it'll be human, as I always have a hard time roleplaying anything else.

Same here. I've traditionally had most fun playing rogue type characters. Plan B is something barbarian, whacking things to pieces in a nice and uncomplicated way (sort of the exact opposite of the rogue).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have no idea. It depends on the various classes and what they can do, as well as the companions and what classes they cover. There's several possibilities

Magic Class (Wizard, Cipher)

Combine with NPC mages for spammed overlapping aoe mezzes of death and sick nasty combos. It's a big assumption, but without further information, most of the utility and broken combinations tend to be in the mage classes.

Essential Class (Priest, Rogue)

I might pick a class that fills a mandatory role if there's no npcs that I want that fill that role. Rogue I suspect will be especially big, because things like stealth and pickpocketing probably won't be available on other classes. Priests especially would likely be sick because of party buffs, secondary fighter roles, and possibly even off magic class roles, but based on their description of being 'more like paladins', I doubt the latter. Rogues are likely dps along with essential party utility that lets me get around (lockpicking, trap finding, stealth, etc). I find it hard to imagine there won't be a companion rogue, however, so I'm probably good.

Unknown broken combination

Maybe there's some combination like say fighters that have some kind of ally guard that if you have more than one fighter doing it, you can get sick nasty synergy bonuses. Maybe there's no bezerker companion, but I can have my cipher mind control my bezerker during a rage and be able to control him when I normally wouldn't be able to. Who knows.

I'm personally leaning towards wizard right now, but it's still a tossup between Wizard, Priest, and Rogue for me (although I almost certainally wouldn't pick a rogue if I had a teammate already that was one).

Unless initial information suggests the balance is well and truly out, my first game will likely be an attempted solo playthrough with my most established 'traditional' character - a thief (screw rogues, I'm a thief dammit :)), female, Vailian human, originating from the mooted Vailian second big city if possible (this character tends to be Italian in Earth-setting games).

Born and raised of an unremarkable middle-class background, her motivation is primarily to live the easy life: stealing is work done not out of necessity, nor for thrills; but instead simply for the reason of it being the most expedient way to live a good, comfortable, but not decadent life. A thief driven not by Greed, but by Sloth, she harbours no particular ambition to rise in status or station.

Not quite cautious, but certainly not impulsive, 'work' for her would mainly involve burglary and any other acts which involve remaining unseen. Brash acts like mugging, pickpocketing and general swindling are definitely out. Long, lithe and slender - a figure which could almost be described as being boyish; this, along with careful selection of attire and learned mannerisms, is used to her advantage when engaging in her profession: even when spotted, no victims thus far have even been able to definitively identify their intruder or assailant as being anything other than the average, stereotypical male thief. In day-to-day living, to neighbours she is nothing more notable than a regular middle-class citizen living in an inherited home.

In terms of combat setup - it's not really a character built for fighting in any meaningful way. Close combat is something definitely avoided, I'll likely go with throwing knives/darts as primary weapons (assuming they're implemented of course), learned as more of a party trick than a killing method, and depending on how compact they end up being, a single-shot pistol as an emergency weapon to use point-blank if caught in melee range.

Of course, if this planned setup falls apart, my fallback is probably going to be a fighter or barbarian or somesuch, mainly because I tend to avoid magic classes first time through. I do have a wizard concept that I generally find fun to play too, but for the purposes of the game it'd be a fallback to the fallback I guess.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Druid.

Cyphre's Companions Pack v0.75.2 | Cyphre's Dual-Wieldable Flails & Heavy Flails v1.2 | Cyphre's PrC Pack v0.75 | Cyphre's Remove Annoying Effects Extension (Tortoise Shell) v1.0

1equwd7qnahnqayd4y2s7xk.jpg

"O, the life of the Druid is the life of the land.

We are one with the dark earth on which we proudly stand.

One with the Mother who has suckled us from birth,

Her streams and her rivers, we are one with the earth;

One with the Father, whose oak supports the sky,

Who gazes on us daily with his great, immortal Eye..."

Paladin dual wielding greatswords assuming eternity will have something similar to NWN 2 monkey grip feat (who doesn't like that) otherwise probably going to be a melee class of some sort.

Edited by BerZeeerK

For race I'm thinking Godlike or maybe Aumaua, depending how those guys will end up looking. As a backup plan dwarf.

I usualy find bards rather lame, but the Chanter actually looks interesting, sounds like he will be able to use his "chants" while fighting. So if you can make him decent combatant I may go for him. We still don't anything about druid, that can also be interesting. If all fails, then probably paladin or monk. Or maybe a fighter with focus on bows, if that would be viable..hm.. Yep, I'm gona be stuck on the character creation for some time either way it looks...

If they play anything like the D&D Warlord, then I may actually start with a human male paladin. The idea of shouting orders fits very well with the party system where you're the leader too.

Next playthrough would definitely be with some kind of spellcaster, probably cipher or chanter.

Actually, if the paladin is going to be more like the 4th edition warlord than the 3rd, I may go with something else.

One of the truly great things about the DnD system (and assuming PE is going to be at least somewhat similar) is well illustrated by this thread in that so many people intend to play different characters.