Well got my doubts on how violence will be treated in this game.

And what is people opinion over the subject?

Since they are taking the realistic approach, I rather see the weapon physics applied, so crushed limbs, decapitations etc etc.

Not ridiculous fountains of bloods like Ichi the Killer movie.

As goofy as it was, I liked the critical hit kills in the Conan MMO. They were rare, exciting, and you laughed when you got to see one. Something like that, on rare occasion, makes you feel powerful and mighty. Too often and they're humdrum. La di da, exploded another corpse. Since this game is 'mature' I expect to see thematically correct violence. Torture, hangings, beheadings, disemboweling... but not in excess. They should be part of the story and draw attention to what is going on and be used as motivation.

Don't be like that Constance girl, she's weird - Manager @ Disneyland

RL Bard, Storyteller, and Costumer

I don't mind gory deaths as long as they're an occasional thing. In Fallout 3 and Fallout:NV, it seemed like people exploded every time I killed them. I would hit a guy in the arm with a pipe, and it would explode. It just got annoying. I liked it much better in the early Fallouts and BG games where gory death animations were a treat that you got from time to time to show you that you had scored a really good hit.

• Like 2

I don't think they really need to exaggerate the unpleasant realities of combat in a streetfighter-like manner, but otherwise I'm not particular. Ragdoll physics should be fine, I think.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If they go for realism I hope to see something like one of my currently games: Chivalry there are no fountains of blood and the dismemberments/decapitations are very well done, it's brutally realistic, as cruel as it would be in real life.

I hunt, so I'm well aware of what death by violence looks like and I don't need critical hits from my blade to "chunk" my opponents into a fountain of gore, particularly if the blade in question happened to be a mere mundane dagger. Certain spells might do so, and I have no problem with that at all.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I find a moderate amount of violence ok, since it obviously makes bloody battles more believable, but carnage shouldn't be a centerpiece.

This.

The thing is im playing BG2 at the moment and sometimes the enemies just explode althought 1 of my fighters just hit them with a sword.

Looks funny and it's not gamebreaking but i would like to see just cutting off Limbs or something and not explosions.

Explosions would make sense for somekind of Spells.

I agree with the idea for realistic violence but acknowledge that there are people in the game who can do the unrealistic, people will be able to channel the power of their souls to do wondrous and terrifying things.

Who knows maybe a fighter channelling that power through a blade can create enough force to cause a body to explode.

• Like 3

None of this is really happening. There is a man. With a typewriter. This is all part of his crazy imagination. 

I agree with the idea for realistic violence but acknowledge that there are people in the game who can do the unrealistic, people will be able to channel the power of their souls to do wondrous and terrifying things.

Who knows maybe a fighter channelling that power through a blade can create enough force to cause a body to explode.

I agree, in that context it would be ok but, unless magic is involved I don't think that a blade should make bodies explode.

It's a magical fantasy world, you can't expect realism. A single shot from a musket or blunderbuss would be incapacitating (with delayed fatality by infection,) or fatal if it was realistic. Cadegund could just blast every enemy in the chest and that would be the entire game. Protect the gunner while she oneshots every enemy smaller than an elephant. Firearms are the reason plate armor and chainmail was replaced by brightly colored overcoats as military attire.

Edited by AGX-17

I think Diablo 3 has a good amount of violence. You've got enough standard deaths and blood splatters and the like with a bit of flash here and there with the ocasional flying or exploding corpse. It hit that balance between fun to watch when you wanted to focus on it and not distracting the rest of the time.

Edited by Pshaw

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I don't like excessive violence. What BG1/2 had (minus the chunking) was fine for showing what needed to be shown -- that someone got hit. I could even be okay with the lower settings on Fallout (small pool of blood when dead), although I think they could have decreased the amount a little bit. If extra-gory options are included, they should certainly include a slider bar for. I play an RPG because I enjoy the character development, trying the various choices. Gore does absolutely nothing to enhance the gaming experience for me and it's certainly not why I would support a game.

• Like 1

Because of the scale of figures gory deaths need to be way over the top in order to be visually interesting. It was so funny to shoot somebody in the eye in Fallout 2 with the Red Ryder bb gun and make a huge hole in their chest :). It was very exciting though, as well as the exploding in BG2.

But we definately need a slider. I'd go all the way up but as TCJ said, for some of us high violence makes the game worse, not better.

I'm not entirely sure thematically mature means that its about torture and gore though. Torment was mature and had lots of gore but in descriptions, still bodies opened for autopsy, etc. What made the game mature was its theme about immortality, "what can change the nature of man" and all that. Of course, being able to pop your eye socket out and trade it for another is definitely graphic, even if its all text!

I would appreciate violent deaths on critical hits only. We definitely don't need the bloodbaths of a certain RPG series (how does the blood get everywhere like that?!).

Dragonblade of the Obsidian Order

No sleep for the Watcher

It's a magical fantasy world, you can't expect realism. A single shot from a musket or blunderbuss would be incapacitating (with delayed fatality by infection,) or fatal if it was realistic. Cadegund could just blast every enemy in the chest and that would be the entire game. Protect the gunner while she oneshots every enemy smaller than an elephant. Firearms are the reason plate armor and chainmail was replaced by brightly colored overcoats as military attire.

Wasn't saying that I want realism on each swing, shot or w/e.

We are still talking about a rpg , not a history simulator.

But the finishers itself and other contents like previously mentioned in the topic like torture, undead, autopsy and that kind of stuff

I don't really care either way but there should be violence and various degrees of gore for critical hits, certain spells, and so on. Ideally there'd even be different death-animations like in Fallout for certain spells: burning to death, electrocution, disintegration, explosion.

But the budget is tight so it's no big deal either way as long as there's some.

I actually wrote a thread about this on BSN, and everything I said I want in Dragon Age III also applies here.

I believe that Project Eternity should contain extremely intricate gibbing mechanics. There are all sorts of games that have implemented technology similar to what I am calling for. Take Red Faction: Guerrilla for example. In that game, buildings are intricately designed with multiple kinds of materials, each able to resist different amounts of force. Now what if in Project Eternity, the bodies of living beings could be designed in the same way as buildings in Red Faction? This dismemberment possibilities would be limitless!

They could also even design a new decay mechanism, which allows the bodies of the player's foes to realistically decay upon a time frame consistent with the in-world clock. Think about it, Obsidian wouldn't even have to create unique models for undead creatures! They could just take a regular human model, knock out a few giblets, and set the rest of the body to decay using the same mechanism as corpses.

And last but not least, they should enhance the realism of the game by adding new AI scripts for mortally wounded mooks. The problem with games like Fallout 3 is that your enemies never survive dismemberment. And if you let anyone go after they beg for their life, they always come back within 10 seconds to fight you some more. By using technology like that seen in the Dead Space series, they could program the game so that enemies can briefly survive dismemberment. The player could see their defeated foes crawling over the corpses of their fallen comrades in a futile effort to find their missing body parts before bleeding out. The psychological impact that this may have on the Player's Character would allow for greater emotional depth. They could even include an option for the player to tell his followers whether or not to execute crippled foes.

And there is no question that increasing the level of realistic gore in a game is an improvement. Just take Fallout 3 and New Vegas for example. These games were nearly identical, but Fallout 3 received far more critical acclaim Fallout 3 got a 91% Metacritic score, while New Vegas only received a metascore of 84%, that's a 7 point spread. The only real difference between these games was the amount of gore. In Fallout 3, nearly every raider hangout would be filled with headless corpses tied to mattresses, limbless cadavers dangling from meathooks, and corpses pinned to walls with sticks of rebar. Even Fallout 1&2 lead programmer Tim Cain praised Bethesda's use of human remains as an element of storytelling.

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.