Hello everyone,

I know that its quite unlikely, but some of the people out there(me included) have 3d Monitors with 3d glasses which use stereoscopic vision. I would like to know if PE will support some features of it. I know that this is gonna be a 2.5D game, but wouldn`t it be cool to have all the 3d models on top of a 2d layer and have all those spells and effects twirlin around, while fighting, presented in 3D?

Would like to hear your thoughts about this.

Regards.

I can't say whether or not Obsidian is/would ever consider this for P.E., but I can say that I would not support it. 3D stuff is fine for an IMAX theater and stuff, but I don't want it in my video game. Not at today's tech anyway. And I really don't want them to spend the money on it when there's so much other stuff they could be spending their Kickstarter funds on.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This is why it's a gimmicky fad. How is 3D going to improve a game with 2D backgrounds that don't have depth? It doesn't make sense to ask for 3D. I don't even see a point in isometric games like Starcraft 2, but at least you have depth on one axis there. It seems like people really really want to justify their expensive equipment. Arkham City or Crysis 2 sure, but it's such a waste of time and resources for most other games, just so they can have it on the box in a store, which won't be happening with Project Eternity.

• Like 1

LOL, do you guys know what are the resources you guys kept mentioning about? Doesn't sound like people actually know how it works.

3D games are rendered in 3D already, before being transformed into 2D space to be displayed. 3D vision is simply displaying as it is, by taking the image from 2 different angle and interlace them on the monitor at 60 frames per second each.

All of these are done on driver level. You don't go out there and make 3D games. Games are already 3D.

That said, 3D characters floating on a 2D background is probably weird, so I don't see it happening.

LOL, do you guys know what are the resources you guys kept mentioning about? Doesn't sound like people actually know how it works.

3D games are rendered in 3D already, before being transformed into 2D space to be displayed. 3D vision is simply displaying as it is, by taking the image from 2 different angle and interlace them on the monitor at 60 frames per second each.

All of these are done on driver level. You don't go out there and make 3D games. Games are already 3D.

That said, 3D characters floating on a 2D background is probably weird, so I don't see it happening.

You are wrong. There are technologies, I think a 3rd party company was bought by Nvidia years ago, that allow you to turn any 3D game into 3D vision, and it's mostly terrible. Yet I know for a fact many games implement 3D from within the game engine, Arkham Asylum implements 2 different types of 3D, Crysis 2, and Starcraft 2, you can even manipulate the depth and other features of the 3D.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

While I don't expect they will support 3D console interfaces with the first release, I very much hope they will retain the files and information needed to implement this in the future.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well I don`t know how much implementig costs this has, its mostly a gimmick but still it can add some value in the future.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

edit:grammar glitch

Edited by Huli22

Well I don`t know how much implementig costs this has, its mostly a gimmick but still it can add some value in the future.

What value would 3D add in isometric game which has 2D backgrounds with fixed perspective?

What value would 3D add in isometric game which has 2D backgrounds with fixed perspective?

Trine / Trine 2 are 2D games, ever tried to play those with 3D effects on? simply amazing, the whole "world" of the game comes to life.

If it is well done, I would definately love this feature. People usualy get headaches if they play fast paced games like FPS with 3D on, but I suspect that this game would be even plesant with it.

• Like 2

Trine / Trine 2 are 2D games, ever tried to play those with 3D effects on? simply amazing, the whole "world" of the game comes to life.

If it is well done, I would definately love this feature. People usualy get headaches if they play fast paced games like FPS with 3D on, but I suspect that this game would be even plesant with it.

The game play is 2D, a lot of the graphics are 3D, unlike Project Eternity.

Just to throw this out there but AwesomeOcelot is right. 3D is basically a gimmick. Until it can be done with no need for special glasses, all monitors and tvs support it, and having graphics hardware that doesn't support 3D is considered highly unusual 3D doesn't need to be supported in any widespread way. It definitely is not going to be a "needed" feature in a isometric view rpg even if all of the above was true.

I have always felt that stereoscopic 3D is the future. Eventually it will become just the standard way we view content just as mono 3D is now. When I was younger and before I started getting headache problems I played the occassional 3D game with shutter glasses and a fast CRT monitor. It was great. Depending on the settings it was either like a holographic projection into the room or like looking out a real window watching the game characters. In those days I was able to play for maybe 30-45 minutes before getting a headache. Now I'd probably instantly get a headache, but I don't own any CRT monitors anymore. Of course there are autostereoscopic LCD monitors and there are still some HMDs being made. Neither of those should cause headaches. Affordable HMDs are still too low resolution though and autostereoscopic monitors are expensive.

But this game is not 3D. Well at least the environments are supposed to be just bitmaps. Also the graphics are not going to be AAA photorealistic. Without photorealism at least to the level of Crysis 1 I don't think stereoscopic 3D projection is all that impressive. It just makes the fake looking character models look even more fake.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I really hope there isn't 3D. I also hope that the fad of 3D movies dies soon. I really don't think it adds much, if anything, to anything. That said, I have weird eyes and so I might actually be missing out on something cool (I doubt it, though).

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

LOL, do you guys know what are the resources you guys kept mentioning about?

Dev & test resources. This isn't a free/open beta game where you can just hack stuff in and who cares if it fails. Officially supported features have to work reasonably well otherwise you are opening yourself up to huge liabilities from product returns. 3D support means testers doing an entire playthrough with 3D on with at least two hardware configs (Nvidia & AMD). So no it is not trivial to make an official feature although you can always release it as a unsupported patch.

Either way I enjoy 3D for movies & first-person games but agree this is a pointless non-feature for this specific game.

Just to throw this out there but AwesomeOcelot is right. 3D is basically a gimmick. Until it can be done with no need for special glasses, all monitors and tvs support it, and having graphics hardware that doesn't support 3D is considered highly unusual 3D doesn't need to be supported in any widespread way. It definitely is not going to be a "needed" feature in a isometric view rpg even if all of the above was true.

Glasses-free 3D technology has already been developed and is becoming available commercially.

Glasses-free 3D technology has already been developed and is becoming available commercially.

If it's not a working, Star Trek-like Holodeck....it's still useless to me. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3d games are a horrible horrible thing. That and they give me migraines... Urghh.

The latter is a known issue in the film industry, which is a reason why they are switching to a higher frame rate. I'm unclear why they are a "horrible" thing. I've played 3D games before: my understanding is they are called "board games". ;) Perhaps that's the issue?

There is nothing better than a game of Penguinopoly!

Also movie wise - the 3D isn't as bad as it use to be when it's filmed in 3D and not converted into it afterthoughts. I know several of my friends go see 2D films over 3D films unless it was filmed in it just because of headaches and stuff and it doesn't look 'right'. (This is digital 3D and IMAX 3D)

In games though, the few Stereoscopic games I've had the opportunity to play (on fantastic gaming rigs btw) haven't looked that impressive and imho have distracted from the actual game and on two of the three occasions resulted in a migraine.

TBH - It doesn't really matter because I quite simply wouldn't turn it on. What would worry me is that they spend time and effort making it 3D when it really doesn't need to be.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.