Perhaps it was lsot in the dozens of posts talking about health/stamina, but I haven't seen a topic dedicated about the resting/restoration system.

I think that a system where you can rest everywhere like in BG makes it too easy at times. You jsut unleash -all- your spells and then take a quick nap in the middle of the dungeon, ready for your next encounter.

Something I liked were the fire pyres in Dark Souls. Granted, that game is ahrdcore, but since PE is related a lot to souls, perhaps there are special places that help restore one's energy. Magic is also prettymunch linked to you own soul's energy, thus, these specific places could be used to recharge your soul. It could even be a place where you can communicate with souls of the deceased or some other ideas like that since such places would be closer to the spirit world. Like places over the world where the layer between these "planes" are thinner.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

I agree with that. I love dark souls, esspecially the bonfire system and would love see something similar. I biggest weakness I have is using spells efficiently becuase i almost never main a caster. I would be more likely to avoid rest spam if i knew there was a rest point just ahead.

Have they mentioned how spells will be done? Caught onto the project semi-late.

They may just make it based on your in battle stamina.. several games have done it before to varying success. Keeps you from having to interrupt the flow of gameplay by resting in the middle of nowhere.. and it keeps you from either A. Burning your mage out too early or B. Saving all your spells until the boss, therefore making the mage practically useless until then.

From what we're hearing, weak spells will be cooldown-based, while powerful spells will be used up and restored on rest.

I hope they implement a limited rest system, such as the one you suggest. The IE system was functionally identical to full heal as soon as combat ended, and I'd like to see a bit more of a strategic element in PE.

Well, if the weak-spells have a cooldown it'll allow your mage to at least be useful to something if you keep your stronger ones for a boss fight or a mid-quest big fight.

If they go with such a system, then I can only see that specific places should be used for rest, including inns, our house and stronghold.

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

I always thought resting in BG was tough. I'd always get waylaid or woken up by a swarm of bandits or undead. Some areas didn't allow you to rest. Neverwinter seemed a little bit more accurate to your description of the resting system. I didn't like neverwinters system that well.

I always thought resting in BG was tough. I'd always get waylaid or woken up by a swarm of bandits or undead. Some areas didn't allow you to rest. Neverwinter seemed a little bit more accurate to your description of the resting system. I didn't like neverwinters system that well.

Well, you just had to save and well, you could rest at many places, like, in the middle of the De'Arnise Keep or in the sewers, at only a few meters from a Beholder Ghaut, etc. Nwn just made it sometimes even easier, yeah.

The biggest problem with resting in IE and NWN games is that the main drawback, time, is never truely a factor since no quest I've run into has had a time limit.

If there were two options of rest, one being a 10-30 minutes of catching your breath in a dungeon or in the overworld; which would heal stamina quickly and a bit of health with magic or traditional medicine/first aid and get back most mid-level spells, and a longer rest for the night which would be a full heal and magic regain.

The main difference between the two would be ths short rest would be less risky in a dungeon and having quests generously timed if the quest is one that would logically have a certain time it needed to be done in. So no resting 2 days in a dungeon to save a farmers daughter from some orcs or whatnot, but a few short rests are within the time limit with some to spare. If you're not on a quest or on a "find this long lost ancient relic" that there isn't much of a time limit on then the longer rests can be used with impunity.

The impotant thing with timed missions is to make it clear that the quest has a time limit, should be easy enough to do.

Your quick rest option sounds like the "Second Wind" of some other games. Something usable once per day/crawl, per character to recover stamina/stun points.

The absence of time limit was indeed why so few actualy did not car eif they had to rest for 3 days straight. I used the less rest possible, using spells rather than rest for healing, but still, sometimes you knew you could just go wild against the next encounter and then rest.

Adding some sort of timer or maybe an item that's needed to use the rest option. Some sort of soul regeneration stone, a tent, bedrolls, firecamp, something.

Something should be done about low level magic classes as well, but I heard they are implementing a cooldown sort of deal with them. I'll say it anyway though - in all D&D based games low level magic users were very disadvantaged, because they could only memorize like 2 magic missiles, they'd use them up on the first fight and would need to rest. That was quite a hassle and problematic.