I need XP for talking to random NPC #42

Making talking in RPG's less of a burden on the player  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to have your ego stroked for just wasting time with talking to NPC's who have no quest or role but are just for the banter (think inngoers in BG).

• I definitely need XP if I talk to someone and it doesn't otherwise has a function. I hate wasting time
    • Depends. A single line no, but if there are multiple choices and meaningful talk that however leads to no goal, but linstead lore, give me XP
    • I hate talking. Once I click a NPC give me XP and/or a quest without any talking at all!
    • Both Quest and non-Quest should give XP. Otherwise I will just speed through the convo. I mean, I can spend my time better than to play this game
    • Talking? I thought this was Diablo IV. Oh wait, you mean the one line before a shopkeeper opens store, yeah, XP would be good
    • I want ! and ? to avoid talking. XP should be given if you dare click anything without this.
    • It would make conversation useless if you don't get rewarded for talking!
    • I completely and utterly not trust Obsidian to make conversation. I need XP to compensate for suffering through it
    • I am stupid and think talking is it's own reward and doesn't need additional XP
    • KILL HASSAT HUNTER WITH FIRE!!!

So, the XP for combat discussion in another thread made me realise... a lot of people think rewards in the form of XP make the difference between "awesome strategic combat" and "a waste of time"

It really opened my eyes to how badly most developers have been treating dialogue in their RPG's. Remember those HUGE conversations in Planescape: Torment? Which had no point but to tell you the lore, keeping you entertained. And didn't reward you at all for reading it. Clearly it's only been this way since no-one opened their eyes to how much of your precious time this would waste.

It's time to make Project: Eternity the RPG of the future by revolutionising dialogue. I know Mass Effect did it great with codex XP, but we have to go further than BioWare. Revolutionize the RPG.

Every time a conversation option offers just lore, easter egg dialogue, random stuff inhabitants say, attempts to seduce your female NPC's, make stupid comments about your options in the past to reflect the word knows you exist etc. you get experience. This to compensate you for the fact that doing this clearly wastes your time and you could do something else instead. Like getting XP someway.

This way conversation finally leaves the waste of time area and enter the awesome strategic dialogue era.

After all, you aren't doing this for fun. All those extra NPC's taking up your time you could spend getting quests or talking to people who *need* killing. And since there's some kind of stupid rule that we can't just keep those NPC's due to some 'deserted city syndrome' or some equally lame explenation, this obviously is the only way to go.

Viva la Dialogue Revolution!!!

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well people, I really wonder, how this comments came up, since most of the people voting in polls want BG-Series or PS:T to return. No doubt there are epic, tactical fights, but still, both games are about people choosing their destiny by sword AND word.

I enjoyed all the easter-eggs, the romances (lots of talking) and every stupid conversation possible. This should be no MMORPG, where everything you enjoy is just the wonderful 3D-graphic and slaying 1000 times the same enemy. Talking and dialogs give depth to the game, it is the difference between "LOTR" and "Sharktopus" (probably still an enjoyable movie :w00t: ) ... Please, don't forget that ...

I don't like talking. I wish there was an RPG where you didn't need to talk at all. It would certainly be a revolution.

Viva la Dialogue Revolution!!!

Play Diablo ... :yes:

I could see XP being rewarded for going through conversations if you are using particular skills (successfully) for that conversation. It would be an incentive to make a well-rounded character. Other than that, I see no point in giving XP for talking unless it's quest-based or a random thing like Noober.

voted "I am stupid and think talking is it's own reward and doesn't need additional XP" as I think the poll options are so depressingly biased and dumb that I can't take them seriously.

If you're not trolling and actually are serious, then uuuh.... nevermind....

Edited by Kai

I almost get the sense by the question that the designers want eveyone to enjoy or at least use all the elements developed. If so, why? Why would it be a bad thingif only 20% of the players like the lore and convos? People will always player RPGs differently and enjoy different aspects.

Yes, another poll with biased and missing responses. It's certain to generate the results you want to see. :p

Not really, most people want to kill me with fire :(

That's what you get for adding a joke-option in your perfectly super-serious thread... ;(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Yes, another poll with biased and missing responses. It's certain to generate the results you want to see. :p

I believe that is what the last choice category is for...and why it is currently leading the poll :p

"If we are alone in the universe, it sure seems like an awful waste of space"

Honestly, I think there are plenty of things that tend to give varying experience rewards in games, and which could be handled perhaps better - or at least more realistically - by awarding bonuses or stat modifiers (likely conditional and potentially temporary) to a character. Granted, this poll is a bit trolly, but if it were serious, I don't think you should be motivated to talk to anyone your character him/herself would not do if they were autnomous. That is what role-playing is about. My first character, if possible, will probably be a recluse of some sort, who won't approach anyone for discourse unless spoken to, at least at first. It will likely be an interesting course of events.

It really opened my eyes to how badly most developers have been treating dialogue in their RPG's. Remember those HUGE conversations in Planescape: Torment? Which had no point but to tell you the lore, keeping you entertained. And didn't reward you at all for reading it. Clearly it's only been this way since no-one opened their eyes to how much of your precious time this would waste.

You obviously forgot about those dialogues in Torment that could trigger some old memories for massive xp. :shifty:

• Like 1

You obviously forgot about those dialogues in Torment that could trigger some old memories for massive xp. :shifty:

I should definitely replay PS:T, yes.

Fortunately, 2014 takes a whole. Or unfortunately, depending how you look at it.

And for those new, yeah, this is obviously a stab at the people claiming that combat is boring, but worthwhile due to XP. So suggesting the current conversation becomes better with XP, since obviously XP makes everything better. I don't agree of course ;).

^

If you are giving XP for the player actually reading dialogue, then it needs to be fair - the game will have to somehow require the dialogue is actually being read, not just clicked-thru.

For End User License Agreements when installing software, the user needs to click on a statement declaring that they have indeed read the aforesaid agreement. Because said EULA is enforced by law, everyone reads them to avoid the pain of punishment by breaking the law. So one option may be to legally require the player to have read each dialogue by having them agree to a EULA-type page for each one - although with all matters of law, a Lawyer should be consulted beforehand for feasibility.

Or perhaps the game should quiz the player after each dialogue, testing the player's knowledge on what was just read. The problem with this is that the player could cheat and go to Gamefaqs or similar to just get the answers there, and end up clicking through the dialogue anyway, scoring the XP unfairly.

Perhaps a combination of option 1 and 2 would work best, or maybe a voice-recognization scheme where the player is forced to read back the dialogue to the game, or -- nah, screw it, KILL HASSAT HUNTER WITH FIRE!

• Like 1

You know that EULAs are in some countries not legally enforceable? :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

You know that EULAs are in some countries not legally enforceable? :p

They're not legally enforceable in any country actually. The onus is upon the company to demonstrate who agreed to the contract. I'll guarantee you that suddenly everyone in the world will say a 5 year old, who can't legally agree to anything, must have clicked that button when they went to the bathroom after inserting the disc.

That's why you've never seen a company try to enforce it in a courtroom, proving who clicked that button is completely impossible.

the game will have to somehow require the dialogue is actually being read, not just clicked-thru.

If combat allows it... ... ...

Perhaps a combination of option 1 and 2 would work best, or maybe a voice-recognization scheme where the player is forced to read back the dialogue to the game, or -- nah, screw it, KILL HASSAT HUNTER WITH FIRE!

Best. Post. Of. The. Thread. xD

^