[Merged] Women, Feminism, etc. in PE

Yes, and this is a definitive improvement over this.

Indeed. I wouldn't mind some sexualized characters, but when 90% of women look like models and fight in sexualized and ridiculous armor, something is wrong.

Fine, warriors shouldn't be sexualized.

But we still get to keep bossomy wenches that bring beer while giving ample view of the valley between their mounds.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

All women in video games should look like felicia day.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

The fact they're not going for 'sexy' armor designs or machismo male armor is reassuring. As for women, I'd like to see them in an equal function role in game. Let's not go with medieval feudal gender roles or over the top fantasy tropes. Let a female queen be as scheming as her male counterpart and not just a brood mare. Let the tavern wenches be fat or thin or average instead of hyper sexualized 'why of course I'll hop in bed with you, sir or madame, *wink, giggle/wiggle*. Have brothels with every type of figure for varied tastes. And let your female armor cover vital organs and actually work as ARMOR.

I Like the fact they drew down the over-booby concept art. Under that armor you typically have on three other layers of clothing. If your chest is sticking out that much AFTER the binders, tunic, and chain, you'd need a freakin' reduction to function normally.

• Like 4

Don't be like that Constance girl, she's weird - Manager @ Disneyland

RL Bard, Storyteller, and Costumer

Shouldn't this be posted in that other thread?

I'm staying out of that thread. But, i'm all for any size/shape/face/color of person in an Rpg. However, the other IE games do not represent this well. How often do you see an African American in an Rpg? You can't go as far as saying more diverse women and stop there, there's actually a lot of bias in rpgs. However, I'd rather not go there.

Thinking more on it, I wonder why video games have tried so hard to stay away from having 'overweight' companions. Or even just one's that are not always pleasant to look at. It would actually bring something more to the game for me, because if you're not focusing on physical appearance than the only thing to focus on would be their story/lore/dialogue. Would defiantly make for a very interesting experience.

Edited by Loranc

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

I'm staying out of that thread. But, I'm all for any size/shape/face/color of person in an Rpg. However, the other IE games do not represent this well, how often do you see an African American in an Rpg? You can't go as far as saying more diverse women and stop there, there's actually a lot of bias in rpgs. However, I'd rather not go there.

Well, unless there's an America in said RPG, then seeing an african american wouldn't make much sense. That being said, they've already said that there will be various different ethnic groups, even amongst the different races.

Vashlyna, the warrior princess. She may not be one for looks but her incredible coat of fatty tissue gives her great damage resistance.

Missing the point on purpose? She probably wouldn't be a warrior woman, given that she is quite obese. She might work as a priestess, though, as an innkeeper oder maybe even a mage.

But I guess that I react to quite childish trolling here... so, whatever.

The fact they're not going for 'sexy' armor designs or machismo male armor is reassuring. As for women, I'd like to see them in an equal function role in game. Let's not go with medieval feudal gender roles or over the top fantasy tropes. Let a female queen be as scheming as her male counterpart and not just a brood mare. Let the tavern wenches be fat or thin or average instead of hyper sexualized 'why of course I'll hop in bed with you, sir or madame, *wink, giggle/wiggle*. Have brothels with every type of figure for varied tastes. And let your female armor cover vital organs and actually work as ARMOR.

Sounds good :)

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

I think Baldur's Gate did pretty well with Imoen, Xan and Xzar. Sten in Dragon Age was pretty meh. Otherwise, yeah, most games seem to create a lure to each companion, and each of them is realatively desirable. My party was usually pretty ugly in Storm of Zehir, but that was more a result of not finding much in the customiser which appealed to me.

Because of the nature of the isometric camera, it will be hard to surpass the lows hit by the ME series (particularly ME3). Perhaps if they went with a journal that added pictures they could keep things reasonable - I know things got a little strange in Torment... But for every Annah or high town prostitute there were also zombies and the lady of pain lol. I'm fine with some skin on some characters - and I'm sure if folks have done modelling in the old days, they know it was actually easier to give women huge boobs than make small ones that looked right. Some sexiness is fine, it's a video game, but I don't need or want robot camel toe or repeated close ups of a character's haunches.

I'm staying out of that thread. But, I'm all for any size/shape/face/color of person in an Rpg. However, the other IE games do not represent this well, how often do you see an African American in an Rpg? You can't go as far as saying more diverse women and stop there, there's actually a lot of bias in rpgs. However, I'd rather not go there.

Well, unless there's an America in said RPG, then seeing an african american wouldn't make much sense. That being said, they've already said that there will be various different ethnic groups, even amongst the different races.

That's cool, and I didn't mean African American per say, I meant someone with dark skin color (not pitch black like dark elves.). IE games normally have at least one companion fitting this description. But for the most part all the companions are 'fair' of skin in most rpgs. I'm looking forward to the various different ethnic groups in PE.

NO BOOB PLATE; FAT WOMEN AND UGLY WOMEN SHOULD BE INCLUDED OR IT'S NOT "PC".

Quite obviously you didn't get the point ;) I don't care about political correctness (at least not here). This is a matter of realism, of immersion, of interesting and different characters. But pray, sir, rage on some more.

• Like 4

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

It has already been said: With the engine used in PE I do not think the On-screen physical depiction of women will be much of an issue. And from the artwork so far, if they go that route for the portraits also, I think Chainmail-bikinis won't be seen. And for everyone not liking this I am sure portriats will be customizeable and moddable enough so Louis Royo will find his way to PE too...

I am far more interested in how PE will depict women in general in this world...not their looks, but how they are treated/viewed like. Will female warriors something totally normal, like in most if not all RPGs? Or something very special and outandish...?

I prefer to play female main chars, and I would actually like if the enviroment would look differently at genders.."A female warrior? What will they come up with next"...while "A female mage? Nothing special, the only independent profession for a female despite...*cough*...."seamstress"...?

Even Dragon Age sometimes at least came close to these old gender-roles, though often contradicting itself when characters sometimes were suprised the wardens accepted women among them, but then there were plenty of female soldiers in the Battle of Ostagar to see (a minor example)

I would like my female warrior to be confronted with some of these stereotypes, and nullifying them with cold steel and iron will...

Vox: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me Vox

Are you ... like a crazy person?

Vox: I’m quite sure they will say so.

They should take the Torment approach: any woman with breasts smaller than my head is probably a zombie.

Always wondered what they were putting in the water around Sigil. Some freak growth hormone or something...

I am far more interested in how PE will depict women in general in this world...not their looks, but how they are treated/viewed like. Will female warriors something totally normal, like in most if not all RPGs? Or something very special and outandish...?

I prefer to play female main chars, and I would actually like if the enviroment would look differently at genders.."A female warrior? What will they come up with next"...while "A female mage? Nothing special, the only independent profession for a female despite...*cough*...."seamstress"...?

Even Dragon Age sometimes at least came close to these old gender-roles, though often contradicting itself when characters sometimes were suprised the wardens accepted women among them, but then there were plenty of female soldiers in the Battle of Ostagar to see (a minor example)

I would like my female warrior to be confronted with some of these stereotypes, and nullifying them with cold steel and iron will...

So you want more fan service wish fulfilment in a world full of equally stereotypical sexist men. What if female soldiers are utterly normal?

sonsofgygax.JPG

It has already been said: With the engine used in PE I do not think the On-screen physical depiction of women will be much of an issue. And from the artwork so far, if they go that route for the portraits also, I think Chainmail-bikinis won't be seen. And for everyone not liking this I am sure portriats will be customizeable and moddable enough so Louis Royo will find his way to PE too...

I remember a comment from a random female NPC in Skyrim (paraphrasing): "It's so hard being a woman in Skyrim" and I was like "lolwut" pretty much everything, for gender roles to hierarchy are almost completely identical and distributed by 50% o_O I think that PE will go the same route 50%-50% and still portray women as if they were on some epic struggle against "teh evil patriarchy". That said, I don't really care that much. I've long stopped giving f*cks about stuff like this :biggrin:

• Like 1

To be honest I'm okay with variety of body in the game, but I still want the beautiful chick with the hour glass figure as well in inappriotate armour as well, or at least the option to make her as one of my mercanaries.

In STO my crew is always hot busty girls. I'm not sorry, its what I'm attracted to, its not like,I get a choice. IRL I don't expect physical perfection, but this is fantasy and I plan on building my perfect Harem...er...I mean party.

I know clearly this makes me an evil masgonist in some peoples eyes, but I like what I like.

So you want more fan service wish fulfilment in a world full of equally stereotypical sexist men. What if female soldiers are utterly normal?

Then it would be okay for me, why not? I am a bit puzzled, I merely stated what I would like to see for a change, as I think the typical political correctness medieval fantasy world with absolute gender-equality is a little overdone, that's all. But if they go that route I'll be fine...

EDit: And what is fanservice-wish-fullfillment anyway?

Edited by Vox Draco

Vox: The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me Vox

Are you ... like a crazy person?

Vox: I’m quite sure they will say so.

To be honest I'm okay with variety of body in the game, but I still want the beautiful chick with the hour glass figure as well in inappriotate armour as well, or at least the option to make her as one of my mercanaries.

In STO my crew is always hot busty girls. I'm not sorry, its what I'm attracted to, its not like,I get a choice. IRL I don't expect physical perfection, but this is fantasy and I plan on building my perfect Harem...er...I mean party.

I know clearly this makes me an evil masgonist in some peoples eyes, but I like what I like.

Sir, I salute you and praise your honesty , not many people here would dare to freely express a preference such as yours, personally I don't think that it is misogynistic to prefer one type of female body, and I don't think that you should apologize for that.

• Like 3

Then it would be okay for me, why not? I am a bit puzzled, I merely stated what I would like to see for a change, as I think the typical political correctness medieval fantasy world with absolute gender-equality is a little overdone, that's all. But if they go that route I'll be fine...

EDit: And what is fanservice-wish-fullfillment anyway?

You *want* sexism so you can thwart it.

If that ain't fanservice I don't know what is.

You can't win - female warriors need to be challenging stereotypes by whupping male ass, attractive females *are* stereotypes and ugly wimmin are merely feeding the misogynistic women-as-the-other sociology bull****.

Why not lets have CRPG Baywatch, where every character is smokin' hot?

sonsofgygax.JPG

Will we see some feminist characters in PE? I think it would be fun to have some things as our real world have. Like feminist NPCs and how they would proclaim that even they are elfs they don't have to look beautiful or they don't want to be an objectification tool by other elfs etc.

Edited by Dragonnn

Why not lets have CRPG Baywatch, where every character is smokin' hot?

It'd be neat to have an out of shape character, can't run for any notable period of times with out huffing and puffing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I think we're off to a good start with Cadegund and Sagani in that they look like realistic women and not oversexulaised.

I didn't read the whole thread, but this pretty much says what I was thinking. They both look very average. Nothing about them that stands out one way or the other, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

• Like 1