Favorite Game and Which game do you hope Project Eternity is most like?

Games  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Games ?(multi answer)

• BG1/BG2
    • NWN/NWN2/NWN MoB stc
    • Icewind dale/ Icewind dale 2
    • Vampire Maquarade Bloodlines
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Witcher/ Witcher 2
    • Gothic 1/2/Nigh of the raven/3
    • TES (Skyrim Morrorwind)
    • Dragon Age orgins/2
    • Other (Final Fantasy 7/8, Spellforce/Warcraft/ Mass Effect1/2/3, Risenetc)
  2. 2. Which game do you hope Project Eternity is most like? (multi answer)

• BG1/BG2
    • NWN/NWN2/NWN MoB stc
    • Icewind dale/ Icewind dale 2
    • Vampire Maquarade Bloodlines
    • Witcher/ Witcher 2
    • Gothic 1/2/Nigh of the raven/3
    • TES (Skyrim Morrorwind)
    • Dragon Age orgins/2
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Other ( Say what)

would be DA:O like story

????

DA:Os story was pretty damn lackluster. It was essentially a story about some people from an order of heroes fighting an ancient evil. Don't get me wrong, I liked DA:O, but the story was pretty much its weakest aspect.

DA:O may be the most generic game I've ever played. Some of it was well made, the graphics, Alistair and Morrigan, the paragon/brood mother arc, the mage's tower abomination. With BioWare and Bethesda games, I mostly don't care about the characters or the plot, apart from the many times when its/they are annoying. DA:O and Jade Empire have the most generically pointless evil antagonists.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I object! Mine isn't in the list! :p

I want Project Eternity to be most like: something not already done. Don't get me wrong, I like those games... But those mechanics are tired. There is already a remake of BG coming out. Lets have something new, something risky, something edgy with an old-school flavor.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Favorite games:

- Planescape: Torment

- The Witcher series

Which should PE be most like:

- Planescape for it's deep story and characters.

- Witcher for it's difficulty and choices that matter. Also great soundtrack for medieval setting.

- BG/BG2 for overall feel of the gameworld.

- DA:O (DA2 not included) for modernizing the genre while still preserving most of the old-school feel.

• Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Favourite: Baldur's Gate, Witcher and TES (I'd pick Fallout too if it was in the poll)

What PE will be like: I won't be original, picked BG and Torment :) Also Witcher, mostly because of the soundtrack - I hope PE has one that fits it as perfectly. Well-written political bickering wouldn't hurt either.

As a loyal Ordinator in service to the Tribunal I am pleased at the Morrowind love.

We are legion.

Edited by Rosveen

I'd really like it be its own game more than be seen as like any of those others. If it had to take after something I'd really like it to borrow different things from many of the games you've listed.

Despite the consistent rage against bioware I'm going to say they do get some things right. For example I love their carry over system. It's amazing that I can carry over my choices from previous games into later games. Yes, I'm sure people are annoyed that it didn't have as much impact as you've hoped in some cases, such as the saving the rachini. That said nobody else does this sort of thing at all. I'd rather my past actions on a world be referenced at the very least than have them be completely ignored in sequels

I'd like a Dragon Age: Origin style ending. You had some choices in how it went down; who became king/queen, who sacrificed fighting the archdemon, agreeing to Morrigans spell, your final boon you ask for in the epilogue, ect. You also got to have an closing epilogue that recounted your choices in game and the effects of them. Also you got to hear what all of your companions planned to do afterwards, they didn't just disband into complete obscurity.

In terms of gameplay freedom I hope it's much like the fallout series. Killing shop keepers and looting their goods should be a 100% viable choice as long as you're ready to deal with the consequences. Those should also be more severe than they were in fallout. People in a town should probably care that I killed their only merchant after a prolonged gun battle. Also it had multiple ways of getting tasks done. It rewarded you for taking skills like science and repair that were a bit more narrow but sometimes you couldn't complete a goal without them. You had the freedom to kill anybody that you felt needed killing. Now it wasn't all perfect, but these things I think were great and I'd love to see them again.

I hope that in terms of story it takes from BG2 which I think was very well executed. I wanted revenge against Irenicus and to a lesser extent Bhodi. Your reasons for hating Irenicus were constantly reinforced so you never lost sight of your main goal even whilst out saving druids or clearing cults from sewers that had absolutely nothing to do with him. He was also an interesting villain. You understood his motivation for being what he was and it was even relatable somewhat. At least you understood how he got started on the path that led him into arch villian territory.

Finally I hope the world is like that of planescape torment and morrowind. Which is to say foreign enough to be interesting and similar enough to relatable. I loved both settings, the worlds themselves were so interesting I always wanted to explore and know more about them. They were able to have their quirks that still completely fit in with the setting so they didn't seem too out of place. For example if Ignus, Morte, or Nordom tried to join my party in Dragon Age or Fallout I'd find it too absurd and it would detract from the overall believability of the world. But if the setting is outlandish enough to allow for those sort of things it leads to a more interesting game over all.

Edited by Pshaw
  • Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

For me, I think Project Eternity should be

like Planescape: Torment, for the thoughtfulness and depth of characters, choices and consequences thereof;

like the Icewind Dale series for the spirit of danger, heroism and and well-rounded stories (while mostly linear, these games are altogether more like great fantasy novels than their other IE counterparts);

like the Baldur's Gate series, for experiencing the freedom of a huge, living world full of adventure, exploration, and wonder.

:)

Edited by Calmar

I hope PE stands alone.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I hope it's most like Arcanum, really.

Project Eternity definitely needs to be influenced by Mass Effect 3, because of its well-written, consistent plot and intricate, complex rpg mechanics.

What the-? I hope you are joking, it should be like DA2: streamlined, recurrent, great QA...

Edited by Tychoxi

torment had the most RP of all games in the list on its gameplay, and i'm hoping for something similar on that part. if at that you add some of the sickness of bloodlines, and some of the really mature themes and hard choices with unpredictable consequences from the witcher it would be perfect

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

For me, I think Project Eternity should be

like Planescape: Torment, for the thoughtfulness and depth of characters, choices and consequences thereof;

like the Icewind Dale series for the spirit of danger, heroism and and well-rounded stories (while mostly linear, these games are altogether more like great fantasy novels than their other IE counterparts);

like the Baldur's Gate series, for experiencing the freedom of a huge, living world full of adventure, exploration, and wonder.

:)

This, 100% this. For me it would define an almost perfect RPG experience

My fav and the game i hope it plays like is Torment, no game have blown me away with the story/deep characters like Torment so any inspiration from it can only be a good thing imo and i still play it even today and will for many years to come, second i've also been a long time supporter of D&D combat some may dislike it for being slow but i generally prefer the slower more tactical type of combat old school game had so if PE is anything remotely like it i'm sure i'm going to love it.

World of Ultima.

Narrative, companions and philosophy of Torment.

Politics and morals of the Witcher games.

Choice and consequence of Alpha Protocol or New Vegas.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

While I think PS:T was a deeper game, and had better dialogue/party interaction, I think BG's setting was better. My one complaint about PS:T is I always found the setting kind of ... weird. For me, the game was a masterpiece in spite of the setting, not because of it.

So for me, setting-wise, I'd rather they go with a more ... conventional BG-type setting. But dialogue/companion depth-wise, I hope it's PS:T-type. So I guess a combination of the best aspects of those two. ;)

As an addition, I'd like to see some of the quests be similar to how the Witcher 2 did them, with sort of more "morally grey" choices to choose between.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I enjoyed playing the Drakensang series of games and there are many elements of that system that worked well for me (with room for improvement, of course).

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Honestly for me, I hope that many of the mechanics featured in Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 will cross over into PE, the devs have mentioned this on their kickstarter page anyways so this is a somewhat bizarre poll, as some of the choices are regarding games that are not the same type of game as the IE ones (top down isometric, party based tactics etc).

Absolutely looking forward to this game :)

I hope that PE is distinct from all of these other games. However, I would I like the world to feel a bit strange and unique like the ones in PS:T and Arcanum, since I liked their weirdness, and how they moved away from the typical Tolkien like world of the Forgotten Realms, especially PST. I also liked the weird and eclectic cast of characters from PS:T so I hope PE follows that. I hope PE has a more philosophical and interesting story and dialogue like PST, but with a larger and more epic feel to it like the BG games. Of course that is the ideal RPG for me, so maybe that's a bit of a tall order, and it looks like this one will rest somewhere in between Arcanum and BG, with some low technology, like guns, which is cool.

Twitter: @Chrono2012