BG fans counting  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Count me in as a supporter of Baldur's Gate legacy

• Yes
    • I like BG series, but don't want to be counted

I think this is a stupid poll and unnecessary discussion.

BG1-2 are good games in their own way. They have epic storyline with interesting characters.

However I prefer Planescape Torment, because its rich world, heavy atmosphere, deep dialogs and description texts.

This has nothing with Obsidian specifically.

My first favorite cRPG is Planescape Torment, made by Black Isle. My second most favorite is VTM Bloodlines, made by Troika. My third most favorite is KOTOR 2, made by Obsidian.

However I don't hate Baldur's Gate series. I sometimes replay BG2 because of the stories in it. It is a good game.

This discussion is so stupid yet you feel the need to both comment and,may I say,add some good insight? Weird that one hey :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A BioDrone is someone who defend with fanboyism attitude games like DAII and ME3 saying that they are masterpieces.

Unless you disliked Bio games before it was cool in which case the time frame shifts a bit, possibly to BG1. My personal cut off point is NWN, that game was terrible.

Well, if you stay long enough on the BSN, the term evolves and shifts toward the newest released game. It happen every time. This timeframe is for DAII and ME3, until a new release ;D

Edited by DocDoomII

I think this is a stupid poll and unnecessary discussion.

BG1-2 are good games in their own way. They have epic storyline with interesting characters.

However I prefer Planescape Torment, because its rich world, heavy atmosphere, deep dialogs and description texts.

This has nothing with Obsidian specifically.

My first favorite cRPG is Planescape Torment, made by Black Isle. My second most favorite is VTM Bloodlines, made by Troika. My third most favorite is KOTOR 2, made by Obsidian.

However I don't hate Baldur's Gate series. I sometimes replay BG2 because of the stories in it. It is a good game.

This discussion is so stupid yet you feel the need to both comment and,may I say,add some good insight? Weird that one hey :)

Somebody has to tell you that you are wrong, otherwise you would die unknowing. Repent!

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

Dear Baldur's Gate games fans!

Maybe I'm mistaken - but I witnessed some kind of bad attitude here, on Obsidian forums, to people that like old Bioware games.

We are being called 'biodrones', BG series as 'badly written' and some people express opinion that we are not welcomed here.

That's truly heartbreaking.

1/5 to this thread.

But I think that some fans of Obsidian regard BG as inferior IE game, cause it wasn't created by Obisidian developers. And I think that we should try to make sure, that the voice of gamers that like BG series is heard.

Ever considered that some people might still like a game DESPITE some bad stuff?Like the waifu romances,the cheesy cliché-riddled 'save the world' storyline,the RTwP combat or the bland forgotten realms setting?

Edited by Living One

I'm probably one of the 'younger crowd' here at 23, but I grew up playing BG1 and 2, IWD 1 and 2 and have played PST since. I've also played the NWN, DA and ME games, along with the witcher. Personally, I enjoy the newer Bioware games , and they are fun in their own right, but personally the IE series will always, for me, be the more enjoyable games. I don't get all the hating other studios that is so prevalent in forums, and that's probably why I don't generally go on them.

There's a certain level of storytelling that exists in the IE games that doesn't quite come across in newer RPGs in general, perhaps its because a large amount of the budget is spent on making a reactive 3D environment, something that could otherwise be spent on other aspects. Add in Voice acting and you limit the amount of player choice you can put in. The IE games don't need this, creating an equally, if not more beautiful world through the amazing rendered and hand-painted landscapes, and have largely text based dialogue, so have a lot more budget to spend on other aspects of the game such as player choice and deeper storytelling.

Just my thoughts on the matter really. I would agree that IE games are better RPGs, but there's no reason there can't be a place for the 'new Bioware' games too. People will always try and apply their favorite genre to the new technology that becomes available, but you can lose some aspects by doing so.

I suppose that's why PE has made as much as it did in the kickstarter; IE style games allow you to present RPGs in a way that just isn't possible in the more modern formats. They are just better at handling all the different elements of an RPG.

I'm really looking forward to PE! In the meantime best do another few run-through's of the BG series!

Edited by Mils

It really bothers me when people will blindly like or hate a game and then attack people for feeling the opposite and the BSN is a prime example of that level of intolerance. Personally, I enjoy games based on the DnD rulesets to be not a fun because the game feels a lot less natural to me.

Personally, I supported Project: Eternity because I want to give a developer like Obsidian the ability to make a game in the RPG genre that publishers aren't going to mess around with. I don't mind who they listen to as long they don't feel they must implement those changes to make the people on the forums happy.

• Like 1

Dear Baldur's Gate games fans!

*We are being called 'biodrones', BG series as 'badly written' and some people express opinion that we are not welcomed here.

*some fans of Obsidian regard BG as inferior IE game, cause it wasn't created by Obisidian developers. And I think that we should try to make sure, that the voice of gamers that like BG series is heard.

The problem with discussing things people are passionate about is that they are passionate about them :)

People will disagree with you on nearly every stance you take but to reduce it to the fact that they "HATE" BG seems a bit extreme.

I've just replayed both from GOG and BG does feel dated and lacking in some area's but that doesn't mean I hate it. Just because I like torment better doesn't mean I think BG has no value and I don't think many people (Bar Trolls and the poorly educated) would try to write off one of the 2 major sources of inspiration for PE.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the internet has a short memory and keeps a grudge and the developers of BG:EE have kinda left a lot of people with a bad impression of the series. While I think what they are doing is probably going to be an okay job, lots of issues have come up to bother long term fans. Charging for a game that has been rebuilt by modders but then not paying them (even if they did get permission) is not really cool and the fact that you can only buy it through them direct and not a good or well known digital distributor is also an issue (But again I think this is due to the funding model they are using not that they are doing it out of greed).

This may flavour some of the responses you see (Look at how mad people got at imagined things during the PE kickstarter over stuff that doesn't exist yet).

Please add a choice to your survey that says " I'm not sure there is a problem, I like both games" if you want people to be able to answer your survey properly and I think you will be happy with the response of people. Otherwise this is just a flamebait poll and you will not have your fears calmed.

Keep happy and running in your habitrail :)

Industrial "Cheesecake" Scribe (The slight let-down of the Obsidian Order)

I feel that this is the wrong way to go about fixing this problem. If there is negative attitude towards Bioware fans, having all the Bioware fans band together in mutual support is not the answer. That just further fuels the "us vs them" mentality.

A better request, imo, would be to ask people to be more considerate with their remarks, and remind them that we are all individuals and we all like different things. The old saying, "Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated" is key.

Each person has their own opinion of what is better, and what they liked more, but that doesn't make the opposing opinion wrong. Rather than hating on a game, I think it's much more useful to point out what they liked and what they didn't. Even the generally reviled DA2 had some really good aspects to it that could be used to make future games better.

In the end, we're all here because we love RPGs, support Obsidian, and are excited for Project Eternity. So let's treat each other with mutual respect.

• Like 2

This thread confuses me.

I mean, the old Bioware games are slathered across the Kickstarter page. My poll certainly shows a goodly number of fans for those games.

What?

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Baldur's Gate was so flawed. You can't even see the **** on your companions. Even if you take their robes off. And there aren't even sex scenes.

Thankfully Bioware learned from their mistakes and supersized the **** on everything they possibly could in Thedas. Their ability to identify how best to refine their RPGs is nothing short of clairvoyant.

• Like 1

I played BG 1-2, Planescape, Icewind Dale 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 when they were released without caring who made these games.

I enjoyed both BG2 and Planescape: Torment equally...

I also enjoyed more recent RPGs like Dragon Age 1, Mass Effect 1-2, Deux Ex and Skyrim (and like many others, I was dissapointed by DA2 and ME3)...

Does that mean I'm retarded to some 15 year old gamer who absolutely has to chose favorites and dictate his preferences to others ?

That will certainly occupy my mind for the whole day at work.

Edited by atn
  • Like 1

Here's the thing people like to knock bioware because they're a big, easy, target. Complain about some bioware games and you'll have a whole chorus of people chiming in right beside you which makes those people feel validated in their complaints and on and on it goes.

In the end Bioware is still one of the better RPG developers out there. People can nit-pick and complain about things they didn't like but in the end I hope they won't deny that they're a good developer and do in fact do good things for the genre despite some of their missteps. People like to bag on ME3 endings forgetting that as a whole the ME series was pretty damn amazing and ambitious. Yes, it fell a bit flat at the end but it was far from the worse video game ending I've played in my day. Truth be told I found fallout 3 (without any dlc or expansions) to be a bigger let down than ME3 ever was. DA2 was a bit of disappointment, I'll admit it, due to the format change. Still overall the Dragon Age franchise isn't bad and Origins was in fact a pretty damn good game. Both series had really great and original universes as well and I'm looking forward to the future installments of both franchises. While I haven't got a chance to play the old republic yet I've heard the good and the bad and if nothing else it sounds like they've made some very good changes to the MMO model that hopefully others will continue to use and improve upon.

In the end if you like something that is popular you'll be a fanboi to somebody. Everybody has their own little nicknames, Mac users, Windows users, Blizzard fans, Bioware fans, PS3 fans, Xbox360 fans, Nintendo fans, so on and so forth. People who try and dismiss who portions of gamers using these terms simply because they don't enjoy the same things aren't worth worrying over.

Edited by Pshaw
  • Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I think the vast majority of people here appreciate BG. The divergence comes with later games like DA2.

Personally, I stopped playing Bioware games after DAO because I was finding them boring and trite. It's sad that they no longer make games I have an ounce of interest in, but they're already too far away from me to care so much or to spend time criticising. BG/2 were still fantastic games, obviously.

• Like 3

After being utterly dissapointed by the whole of DA2 and key elements of ME3, I have to say that I'll probably pass on Bioware games unless they get insane reviews from gamers with the same tastes/references as me.

On a sidenote, anyone know where the hell to buy a downloadable version of Neverwinter Nights 2 ? It's funny to ask this on the Obsidian forums, but all links I find are dead (and my game CDs are 1000 miles away from my current location).

Edited by atn

After being utterly dissapointed by the whole of DA2 and key elements of ME3, I have to say that I'll probably pass on Bioware games unless they get insane reviews from gamers with the same tastes/references as me.

On a sidenote, anyone know where the hell to buy a downloadable version of Neverwinter Nights 2 ? It's funny to ask this on the Obsidian forums, but all links I find are dead (and my game CDs are 1000 miles away from my current location).

The only one that I have found is at GamerGate, here. It also includes the original.

I've had more fun with the BG series than any other game, perhaps save one. Can't say anything about PS:T because I haven't tried it, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

EDIT: Originally I was wondering if someone wanted to try transferring the BG games to the Unity engine or something.

Edited by TCJ