BG fans counting  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Count me in as a supporter of Baldur's Gate legacy

• Yes
    • I like BG series, but don't want to be counted

Dear Baldur's Gate games fans!

Maybe I'm mistaken - but I witnessed some kind of bad attitude here, on Obsidian forums, to people that like old Bioware games.

We are being called 'biodrones', BG series as 'badly written' and some people express opinion that we are not welcomed here.

I want to make it clear - I don't want to start BG vs PST flamewar. I regard both games as great, but different.

But I think that some fans of Obsidian regard BG as inferior IE game, cause it wasn't created by Obisidian developers. And I think that we should try to make sure, that the voice of gamers that like BG series is heard.

I just... Don't know what to say further, as you know, I'm just a hamster. :)

Discuss.

P.S. Again - the purpose of this post is not to force you choose your favorite game or some kind of similar flame-war stuff.

Edited by Mrakvampire

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

I think you are mistaken. I like Planescape: Torment more, but that's not saying BG is in any way inferior. I don't see why I should choose just one when they are both great.

I'm not trying to force you choose. You misunderstood me.

No to experimentation!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

A BioDrone is someone who defend with fanboyism attitude games like DAII and ME3 saying that they are masterpieces.

I never played DA2, so I have no personal opinion, but the majority you hear on the internet is, that the game is not that great

ME3 in the other hand simply had a stupid ending, the rest of the game was very good, in my opinion and in the opinion of many critics as well.

@main topic: BG or BG2 including the addons are one of my most favorite games ever and I completed BG2 quite a few times.

Baldurs Gate is a great game of epic fantasy, Planescape Torment is a great game of philosophy and strangeness. I prefer PST, but i love BG as well. I don't know why you should have to decide between them...

Edit: Meaning I agree with you, but don't see the point of the poll.

Edited by Chabneruk

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

I like the Baldur's Gates (BG2 moreso, at least when exploring Athkatla) but I feel now, as I did when they came out, that they are overrated games all in all. Still like 'em, and get those pangs of nostalgia when hearing certain music from them or what-have-you but... ultimately I do not find them to be great.

• Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

A BioDrone is someone who defend with fanboyism attitude games like DAII and ME3 saying that they are masterpieces.

I'm not that good in terminology of hate. I heard this word in regards to BG/BG2.

• Like 1

No to experimentation!

I know this point has been made in other posts but I agree with the Op.

The greatest RPG I have ever played is BG2. Granted I never played Planescape and I am sure it is excellent

I also want to make another point ,what I find strange on these forums is that to admit you like Bioware makes you some kind of RPG pariah for some. I enjoyed DA1&2 and the ME series. Were they as good as the original Bioware games, no not for me. But they were still entertaining and I am very confidant that Bioware will continue to make enjoyable games. We all know that the days of them making games like PE are over. But does that mean we have to have so much vitriol directed at Bioware all the time? Like it all not they have hundreds of thousands of fans that are reasonable and intelligent who just want to play good RPG. Who are we to write them all off?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I love the Baldur's Gate series. BG1 was the first RPG I ever played, at that time I was in Junior High School and noone wanted to play Dungeons and Dragons with me... the BG series was my salvation XD.

I don't think Planescape Torment is better than Baldur's Gate. They are 2 different games. BG for example is the one and only RPG where in the first episode you don't become a god-like character, so that in the second one you can start from where you finished. What other RPG does that?

• Like 1

I think you are mistaken. I like Planescape: Torment more, but that's not saying BG is in any way inferior. I don't see why I should choose just one when they are both great.

I'm not trying to force you choose. You misunderstood me.

And I was not implying that. You misunderstood me too. ;) I'm just pretty sure everyone or at least most of us keep BG in very high regard and I don't see reason why it should be manifested like this when it's so obvious. If someone doesn't like it it's just different opinion and they are entitled to have it. My special support is not going to change that.

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

The greatest RPG I have ever played is BG2. Granted I never played Planescape and I am sure it is excellent

I also want to make another point ,what I find strange on these forums is that to admit you like Bioware makes you some kind of RPG pariah for some. I enjoyed DA1&2 and the ME series. Were they as good as the original Bioware games, no not for me. But they were still entertaining and I am very confidant that Bioware will continue to make enjoyable games. We all know that the days of them making games like PE are over. But does that mean we have to have so much vitriol directed at Bioware all the time? Like it all not they have hundreds of thousands of fans that are rereasonable and intelligent who just want to play good RPG. Who are we to write them all off?

People (especially younger people) tend to be very extreme in their opinions. It's either this or that, hardly ever is there any middle ground. I played a whole plethora of RPGs and enjoyed a lot of them (including all the Mass Effects, as crappy as the ending to the trilogy was, Dragon Age, The Witcher etc.). Were they better than my beloved BG2? Nope. It doesn't mean, however, that they are complete garbage.

Edited by True_Spike
  • Like 1

I liked many of the early BW games, especially the BG series. ToB was a great ending to the Child of Bhaal story and still stands out in my mind all these years later.

However, regarding sentiment towards BW, you have to look at their wider catalogue.

Of the ME series, the first two games had great strengths of the last one the less said of that terrible ending the better. A similar sentiment applies to DA0 and DA2.

Perhaps it is the experience of these latter games that (arguably very rightfully) leads to an opinion of Bioware that its performance has been less than stellar.

They made great games in the past but their latter stuff hasn't reached the same standards of excellence that they originally set for themselves.

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

I also want to make another point ,what I find strange on these forums is that to admit you like Bioware makes you some kind of RPG pariah for some. I enjoyed DA1&2 and the ME series. Were they as good as the original Bioware games, no not for me. But they were still entertaining and I am very confidant that Bioware will continue to make enjoyable games. We all know that the days of them making games like PE are over. But does that mean we have to have so much vitriol directed at Bioware all the time? Like it all not they have hundreds of thousands of fans that are rereasonable and intelligent who just want to play good RPG. Who are we to write them all off?

People (especially younger people) tend to be very extreme in their opinions. It's either this or that, hardly ever is there any middle ground. I played and enjoyed a whole pletora of RPGs and enjoyed a lot of them (including all the Mass Effects, as crappy as the ending to the trilogy were). Were they better than my beloved BG2? Nope. It doesn't mean, however, that they are complete garbage.

I agree 100%. The only point I have to make is that on these forums it tends to be older people, like me, who seem to be vociferously anti-Bioware and lambaste people that say " I like Bioware games"

So what is worse? A younger person that makes strange comments as he doesn't know better. Or an older person who makes the same comments but should know better? :) (I think the latter )

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

BG1 is my favorite IE game. I wouldn't say it's better than PS:T, just different and more to my taste.

All the IE games have their own strengths and weaknesses really. There isn't one that's objectively the best... and nor is there one which Project Eternity should exclusively try to emulate. It should draw on the strengths of all of them.

I love BG and I love PST. I don't care about labels like "Biodrone". What do I think about Bioware? I think it was a great company that developed some of the best RPGs of all time.

Yes, was. Because for me, that studio seized to exist in 2007. Games published after that date, including the final version of DA: O (so different from what the old Bioware was working on initially), were developed by EAware.

Edited by norolim
  • Like 2

People (especially younger people) tend to be very extreme in their opinions. It's either this or that, hardly ever is there any middle ground. I played a whole plethora of RPGs and enjoyed a lot of them (including all the Mass Effects, as crappy as the ending to the trilogy were). Were they better than my beloved BG2? Nope. It doesn't mean, however, that they are complete garbage.

It happens to older people as well. Just look at those Vancian magic -threads and you will see they can be pretty extreme too.:)

EDIT: What can change the nature of a man... Obviously it's not age.:D

Edited by Haerski
  • Like 1

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

I think this is a stupid poll and unnecessary discussion.

BG1-2 are good games in their own way. They have epic storyline with interesting characters.

However I prefer Planescape Torment, because its rich world, heavy atmosphere, deep dialogs and description texts.

This has nothing with Obsidian specifically.

My first favorite cRPG is Planescape Torment, made by Black Isle. My second most favorite is VTM Bloodlines, made by Troika. My third most favorite is KOTOR 2, made by Obsidian.

However I don't hate Baldur's Gate series. I sometimes replay BG2 because of the stories in it. It is a good game.

I agree with Haerski

Unless you disliked Bio games before it was cool in which case the time frame shifts a bit, possibly to BG1. My personal cut off point is NWN, that game was terrible.

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

I don't say NWN was terrible. Story might be boring and dull, however features of the game were amazing. How many games can provide you the tools to make your own campaign very easily and also be a DM for playing that campaign with your friends...

I hear there are some NWN2 servers which present more dynamic RP worlds than current MMORPGs.

I loved BG 1 and 2, but also PS:T, they are all good games, as for NWN, it wasn't a bad game, but I wouldn't class it a great game, or a classic. but I do think PS:T had a better story in some respects, more dialogue choices

but the BG series are good, bioware were great, at least before EA bought them out

Edited by matthewfarmery

I don't say NWN was terrible. Story might be boring and dull, however features of the game were amazing. How many games can provide you the tools to make your own campaign very easily and also be a DM for playing that campaign with your friends...

I hear there are some NWN2 servers which present more dynamic RP worlds than current MMORPGs.

Problem with NWN was (and this really was a sign of things to come) that BW caved to fan pressure and included the stupid SP campaign in the retail version. Because I truly have nothing against the NWN toolset, but they were selling the SP camapign as a game a not a proof of concept. And it was TERRIBLE.

Edited by evdk

Say no to popamole!