I want to be a dragon

In Neverwinter Nights 2 you had the special class 'Red Dragon Disciple' in its name and in Baldur's Gate 2 the red dragon would transform into human, so i think that it is not such a bad idea to be able to transform into a dragon.

That is true actually, I don't think Obsidian has discussed whether you can be a dragon race. I doubt it as it does seem to add a level of unnecessary complexity but who can say at this early stage of the game?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Personally I'd rather see them as adversaries and believe they should be far from common (unless the setting already says otherwise in which case ignore this). They lose a lot of their intimidation if everyone you meet is either wearing them or is one (or related to them). The older fashioned games where you see a dragon and soil yourself I would love to see replicated again.

• Like 1

I don't want them as adversaries. Every game has them as big bads and its tiresome. Plus I love dragons, and want to ride them rather than kill them. I'd also like to have a dragon react to someone wearing dragon scale the same way you would if you saw someone wearing human flesh as a jacket. If they are sapient then skinning them is kinda wrong...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

It pretty much depends on story they are writing. If you want to make main character dragon it limits your choices drastically. It would most likely be just another chosen one plot, because in my opinion transforming into dragon should not be just a cheap magic trick: People being able to do that have to be born with the ability and it has to be written into story somehow.

I would like to see more intimate and concentrated plot this time. Not just another Chose one/Dragonborn saving the world from inevitable destruction.

EDIT:

Personally I'd rather see them as adversaries and believe they should be far from common (unless the setting already says otherwise in which case ignore this). They lose a lot of their intimidation if everyone you meet is either wearing them or is one (or related to them). The older fashioned games where you see a dragon and soil yourself I would love to see replicated again.

Exactly. I think Dragons should be something very rare and incredibly powerful creatures. Something you don't want to get in fight with.

Edited by Haerski

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Why just a dragon? I want to be able to tear the hearts out of any creature I stumble upon and devour it to gain their essence.

Seriously though, if they're in the game (they should be) I like the ideas Spoony played around with in his counter monkey episode on the topic: they're smart. why would they land when they could just fly around burning you to death and casting level x spells. Might not be too fun for a game now that I think about it, but dragons should be something you utterly fear. Not just some glorified cliffracer or a fancy looking turret.

Dragons are somewhat clichee by now, having seen a lot of incarnations over the years, in films and games and books as well. Many dragons are rather animalistic, mindless creatures (though they possess a natural cunning) while others are intelligent and even have "good" and "bad" incarnations. That being said, dragons in games are rarely depicted as powerful as their abilities suggest. Even Skyrim, which had a lot of dragons, failed to show their destructive power (a scripted intro nonwithstanding) to the fullest extent. After a while they became quite "normal" enemies, spawning from time to time, but only a few of them were memorable. Even Alduin, after destroying the starting village, never attacked the strongholds with his followers.

If there are dragons in PE, their destructive potential should be shown. In Baldurs Gate, Dragons were really rare and every one of them had a backstory, motivations and intentions (I remember vividly fighting against Firkraag. It was the fight you would remember asides from Irenicus and Bodhi). So, if there are dragons in PE, they should be memorable as well, ancient and destructive powers. Aaaand - to get to my point - thus it would be difficult to give player characters their abilities. Maybe when they are really, really strong, in the endgame.

There might even be aspects of their abilities which you can use (Dragons Breath, Dragons Flight), showing how early mages adored them and tried to be like them. But turning into one of them? It takes away the mystery and sense of wonder that dragons can still imbue - even after all these years.

• Like 7

"Was du nicht kennst, das, meinst du, soll nicht gelten? Du meinst, daß Phantasie nicht wirklich sei?

Aus ihr allein erwachsen künft'ge Welten: In dem, was wir erschaffen, sind wir frei."

- Michael Ende, Das Gauklermärchen

in my opinion, dragons should not be "just another creature to kill for lvl XX players", but they should be very powerful beings.

their draconic magic can be very flexible and hard to guess. instead of fighting toe to toe with the enemy, dragons can use these mystical force to weaken their foes first.

with such thing, even the youngest dragons might be very challenging for the most experienced adventurers.