Just a word on random encounters in the game world. I think it would be a good idea for most of these to stop once the main character reaches a certain level (ie:10), as there is nothing more annoying than getting attacked by suicidal rats or bears when you are a level 13 killing machine with your companions. Or change the encounters - make it like there is a bounty on your head and gangs of rival looters/pirates/adventurers meet up and attack you in the wilderness. Combat is more fun when challenging!

I don't mind random encounters even later on so long as they aren't too frequent. It's more the frequency that drives me up the wall than the battles themselves. I prefer it if the encounters don't scale so that once you're powerful you can enjoy scattering a handful of once annoying forest monsters to the wind with ease. If there is to be a price on your head or thieves out for your cash I'd rather that sort of thing be tied into your actions as a player rather than just being a random encounter.

I also like the random encounters being scaled by area like in fallout 2. If you start wander off towards San Fran too early and you'll know you're not supposed to be out there when a gang of super mutants rips you in half.

Edited by Pshaw
  • Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I liked the encounters in Baldur's Gate 1, especially when there was a chance of a bit of variation. The area to the northeast of Nashkell where you get a lot of Ogre / Ogrillon spawns was fun because you had the chance to get Ogres, Ogrillons, Ogre Berserkers or an Ogre Magi from some spawns.

I do prefer hand-crafted encounters, but I don't mind a few random encounters here and there.

Edited by Sensuki

I prefer the "tall grass" method. It worked for pokemon, it can work for P:E!

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though. I enjoy a mix. There need to be some random encounters just to keep adventuring parties on their toes, but the encounters need to be logical. I don't want to be running into demons just outside of town just because I've gotten to such a high level that those are the only encounters that provide a "challenge". So yes, areas should have their own difficulty, and that difficulty should be static.

Of course, crafted encounters are the ones that have the chance of becoming truly memorable. Ambushes from a marauding band of rival adventurers? Hellz yes.

Yeah - I had forgotten it is quite easy to make certain areas of the game off limits until you are a certain level with badass tatooed on your forehead. So, I guess they can use that. But, I still feel that random encounters should wind down as you get up a certain level. It's probably all about frequency, as stated nothing more annoying than being ambushed /encountered wild animals etc so many times you don't even want to walk anywhere. I also agree with Pshaw, that yes, it is great to meet previous dreaded foes when you are a high level assassin and destroy them with ease. But just not too often!

I'd like some random encounters if you're in wild lands, or a forest known to house bandits, but most other encounters only being triggered after certain activities. An example would be assasins hunting you, or bounty hunters, like in Fallout 3. A nice text based explanation would be good, like "Your party starts to make camp for the night and [name of character/companion] hears something in the distance" or "You've been awoken to the sounds of battle! Quickly gather your wits and join the fray!"

• Like 1